Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 03:49 AM   #1
Full Time RV'rs.

Security Camera or Video

Hi Y'all

We are 3 year full timers with a 2014 GT 378XL

Have any of you used a video cam for your RV?
We use and AT&T Mifi so i dont know if video could hook up through this device. I was told a trail camera would work but would rather have video.

Have looked at many different types of IP cams but then i run into the Mifi problem again.

Any suggestions will help

TYIA
Nepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #2

Not sure of your question but I installed this in my coach last year. Record everything going on on all four sides of the coach. There are even more and better units available now

Mini CCTV 4CH Realtime SD Card Mobile Bus Car Vehicle DVR Recorder System Audio | eBay
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #3

Not familiar with mifi.. But if your just looking to record or monitor locally you don't need Internet access... All you need is ip camera, router and any computer for storage and viewing and if you want to get fancy I recommend Blue Iris software..

I have a few camera set up now... When I go to CG that has wifi I can monitor everything via my Phone..( even get sent pictures when someone approaches the MH.). When there is no wifi I can still access and record via my phone/ or computer but. Need to be within few 100 ft of the router....
Old 10-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Full Time RV'rs.

Thanks for your replies.

Our Mifi AT&T Unite Pro from AT&T
I dont think a router can hook to this.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #5

The separate wireless router is just used to communicate between the camera and the computer...

The cameras sends a wifi signal.( carries the Video) to the router who's then sends it to the computer or phone ..All wirelessly ... If you go to a camp ground that offers wifi you just log your computer on to there system.. Using software like Blue iris you can view and control your cameras from anywhere ...

Sounds complex but really very simple... If you buy the ip camera they usually tell you how to do it...all you need is a computer and a router...would guess you should be up and running in 30minutes...if you want to view it over the Internet... You would need wifi connection and a program like blue iris...
Old 10-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #6

Security Camera or Video

Just saw MiFi...it would work... You would load there CD and follow prompts to load everything yourself ..if you had a network cable plug on your hotspot it would be easier as it would self populates all the necessary fields...

I personally wouldn't use a hotspot...streaming cameras off a hotspot to internet can get pretty expensive .. Streaming cameras use up tons of bandwith... I bet you can use a gig in a few hrs..and that's just one camera.... (Example I run / record 8 ip cameras through Blue iris software and generate 19 gigs of video everyday..).

If you have a router and a computer... Buy a cheap indoor foscam camera from amazon..(no questioned asked return policy. )With IR,pan and tilt.. $40-50 and try to set it up... You will be able to record and view cameras wirelessly from your computer or Phone as long as your in range of your router....

Good luck
Old 10-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
Full Time RV'rs.

Thanks for all the replies.

Our Mifi does not have a port for a router hook up or ethernet. Yes it would chew up our gigs, the park we are in now has wifi but its real bad.

Anyways im looking at a wireless trail cam with 32g card for 90 sec of video recording and pic storage. There is a tree just off to the right of our coach that this would work great in. Perfect for keeping an eye out under the awning so if my grill and scooter dissapear....Yikes

Thanks again
Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #8

For our home video camera system. The problem we ran into for remote viewing is you need a fixed ip address. Our ip address would change randomly. As long as your connected to the system your fine but leave and try and view it from cell phone or lap top you could not view the cameral network. Once we got a fixed ip address it all worked fine... using campground wifi with different ip addresses. I think you could run into this if you are Our software was not real user friendly. I am not a teckno geek but not a noice either and setup was a real job..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote