Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 10:55 PM   #21

I lock everything... Do I think that anyone would steal my dish to actually use it? No, but it would not surprise me to see it stolen just to do something stupid.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #22

A lot of CGs we stop at requires it to go on the roof to get a clear shot of the sky.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Locking the dish and hauling it in and out are the reasons we said good bye to ours. Internet TV via roku is so much easier.
Even with a dish, we use internet TV for things like Netflix and the like.

I hope you also do as us and have your own internet data package and not try to overload the campground system using what is generally little bandwidth.

We ONLY use the campground bandwidth for Roku/Firestick if they offer a package to purchase extra.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #24

Security

I purchased a 25’ cable from the Walmart pet department. I cut the spring clamps off the ends that were for hooking up a dog and left the end loops for attaching a lock. Used it two or three times and now it just rides in storage. Been on the road for 2 1/2 years, stayed at 115 unique campgrounds, many 2 or 3 times, and never had anything stolen. I’ve heard of people having bikes stolen but I’m not carrying bikes. I leave the dish out from the time I set up till the time I leave, along with chairs and grill. Never got ripped off once except for when I purchased a Forest River product.
Brinkmef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkmef View Post
I purchased a 25’ cable from the Walmart pet department. I cut the spring clamps off the ends that were for hooking up a dog and left the end loops for attaching a lock. Used it two or three times and now it just rides in storage. Been on the road for 2 1/2 years, stayed at 115 unique campgrounds, many 2 or 3 times, and never had anything stolen. I’ve heard of people having bikes stolen but I’m not carrying bikes. I leave the dish out from the time I set up till the time I leave, along with chairs and grill. Never got ripped off once except for when I purchased a Forest River product.
I see what you did there...

Old 07-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #26

It’s Not Gonna Happen

I wouldn’t (and don’t) worry about anybody ever stealing my SlimLine Dish and (expensive, but well worth it) TV4RV tripod setup. The only times it has ever moved when I didn’t want it to is when somebody or something knocked into it.

Many years ago after spending what I did on the setup, I was a little paranoid because I knew what it was worth to me, but I never considered trying to work out a way to secure it. I eventually got over the paranoia. Nobody has ever intentionally messed with it or stolen it, but if it is ever stolen, it won’t be by somebody looking to make some money off of it — there’s just no value to somebody who doesn’t know what it is — it will be by somebody who knows exactly what it is, and to use it for themselves. I think this is very unlikely, though, because the only people who would know exactly what my setup is and what it is worth are RVers, and I believe, for the most part, that RVers are good, honest people. I’m not worried about it one bit.

Bruce
Old 07-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #27

There's always the possibility that something could 'walk away', yet the PROBABILITY is very, very slim, especially in campgrounds and rv parks where so many others have the same or similar devices, and folks are out and about and nearby. Probability is totally different than possibility.

Some of us are built to worry about it, and some of us have never concerned ourselves about it - it probably won't change you, and how you 'feel', no matter what others do.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
There's always the possibility that something could 'walk away', yet the PROBABILITY is very, very slim, especially in campgrounds and rv parks where so many others have the same or similar devices, and folks are out and about and nearby. Probability is totally different than possibility.

Some of us are built to worry about it, and some of us have never concerned ourselves about it - it probably won't change you, and how you 'feel', no matter what others do.
Sadly there was a time when that worked well.

Today we have those in society that steal to support themselves and worse yet, the word gets out where the "easy pickins's" are. Worse yet, they'll steal items not to be sold to be re-used by others but to sell for scrap value just to be able to score enough drugs to get them to tomorrow.

Those who have never worried may well be next.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #29

Just to watch TV for one night, we just set it on a table and run the cable thru the drivers window.
If we are setting up to stay for two or more days, we just set it up on the roof of the motor home, and connect to the satellite connection. No one climbs up and walks around, and to be truthful you probably can't even see it.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
Just to watch TV for one night, we just set it on a table and run the cable thru the drivers window.
If we are setting up to stay for two or more days, we just set it up on the roof of the motor home, and connect to the satellite connection. No one climbs up and walks around, and to be truthful you probably can't even see it.
If I were wanting to steal a portable satellite dish setting on a R/V roof I'd simply give the cable(s) a yank and catch it. Cut the cable(s) with a sharp knife and be gone in 15 seconds.

Seriously.. is everyone this paranoid over stuff being stolen while camping?

Old 07-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #31

i cant understand why you would need to lock one up... most of the time you cant get rid of them 😂
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #32

5picker: Yep, I could see your point, if the cable was attached, and hanging down off the roof.... When we put it on the roof, there is only a short 1 foot cable connecting it to the roof coax fitting.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #33

You will spend 100 hours trying to get a good signal for every 10 minutes that you spend worrying about theft. Invest instead in the Dish For My RV Satellite finder.
planecrashlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #34

Well I’m here to tell you - I had a Dish tailgater and never locked it up - on a road trip in HUNTINGTON Ut of all places someone needed it more than me. The only thing I didn’t lock up and they stole it - now I use the dish alarm And a cable to lock it - call me paranoid but it 300$
usapierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruisers68 View Post
Hello,
We just invested in a portable satellite dish which will sit on a tripod at our campsite. What are best practices for keeping the satellite dish secure? Do you take the dish in/out of your camper when you leave to go somewhere or overnight?
I use a cable and pad lock. I put cable through Tripod, handle of dish, then lock it to a tree, trailer, or picnic table..

If I am somewhere for a long time and can get reception, I put it up on the roof of trailer and lock it to ladder.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #36

Yes, I lock mine. I use a 3/8” security cable and padlock. I have a Trav’ler dish on a stand. I don’t want $1k walking away.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I’ll admit, my dad and son were playing soccer and beaned the neighbor’s dish. He came out none too happy. Even after I apologized, he kept up his huff. I shrugged- the dish was in the common area behind the sites. We didn’t try to hit it but it happened.

IMHO that's what designated ball fields are for.
KenS999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #38

Satellite

This my 1st time using one and haven't had any problems with anybody bothering it , I also see quite a few in the park that I am in, I asked the same thing when I set it up, you can always put it on the roof or a slideout if you really worried about it.
trublue5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynn721 View Post
I use a cable and pad lock. I put cable through Tripod, handle of dish, then lock it to a tree, trailer, or picnic table..

If I am somewhere for a long time and can get reception, I put it up on the roof of trailer and lock it to ladder.
How long is your cable that you use??
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #40

16’ with loops on both ends. I feed the one end through the other around the mount of the dish and padlock the other to the camper. When I had a standard portable dish on a tripod, I never locked it.

Tags
lite, satellite