Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #1

Security Question

I am planning on taking my two disabled sons camping full-time (at least for the next few years until my full retirement kicks in). The current plan is to stay mostly in national/state parks, but there will be some of those stays will involve dispersed camping. One issue I am looking at is security (both personal and property). We won't have anything of real value with us in terms of personal possessions, but my family is irreplaceable in my opinion!

Currently I have an RFID locking mechanism and will get one to blend in with the decor of the travel trailer. Since the boys aren't allowed to touch it (and can't access without the card anyway), there are a couple of air-horn cans they can use as a distraction and to get my attention (plus the attention of anyone nearby). Thinking about a taser with a 15 foot range for the probes. I believe those items cover personal safety for more serious issues, like break-ins/assault (sorry, I am in the Orlando area and those types of crimes are constantly in the news).

My focus now is on theft and crime deterrents, specifically the items below. If you have any of these items, can you post which brands/models and how well they work? Also, if I am missing an item you consider essential could you let me know? Thank you!!
(1) locking gas caps - tow and TT
(2) cylinder lock on hitch
(3) hard wired motion detector/camera
(4) window/door sensors
(5) locks for external storage access doors
LanNes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
Rookie

Within the first week, I upgraded my storage for locks and latches:
https://www.rvlock.com/collections/f...ravel-trailers

If a hot spot is available, and you already have a nest account, add a camera or two to the TT; nest also has a wireless security system, although I don't know much about it.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #3

Most theft takes place in storage yards where thieves know you will not be back for some time. I camp all the time in unsecured areas and have never had a problem your level of concern seem somewhat out of proportion to what I believe the actual situation to be. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Most theft takes place in storage yards where thieves know you will not be back for some time. I camp all the time in unsecured areas and have never had a problem your level of concern seem somewhat out of proportion to what I believe the actual situation to be. JMHO
Thanks SeaDog! Can you give me a link to the RV thefts normally occur in storage link vs in campgrounds or boondocking? I have been looking for crime stats, but couldn't find much unless it was murder, rape, etc. That would be very helpful - thanks again!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #5

I don't have a link and based my statement on my perception from reading the forum and personal experience over many years of camping in all different places.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

you are suggesting a taser. Since conversations about Firearms are prohibited here, lets skip that.

Tasers are not the best idea, you can miss etc. For a non lethal deterrent, consider bear spray. it shoots 25-30 feet. you only have to get close etc.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
I don't have a link and based my statement on my perception from reading the forum and personal experience over many years of camping in all different places.
Agreed. It's completely anecdotal but I've heard far more stories of theft from storage lots or even driveways vs. any sort of break-in at any kind of actual campground. Even boon-docking.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #8

Having camped...Tents, Popups, Travel Trailers, I've always considered "Nature" to be the biggest threat at campsites. Bear, Skunk, Raccoon's, Bobcats, other critters and I keep personal protection with me...more so now down at our cabin when I go walking in our 42 acres of woods. Never had any issues from public campgrounds to Wilderness areas. I kinda think your level of concern is maybe a little overblown. No offense.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I too would agree.

I have no link or written documentation saying so other than 40 years of experience.

I've only experienced this twice but one gets a sense really quickly if you are in a campground where you feel uncomfortable. Both times there were WAY more seasonal/permanent sites than overnights and the campground owners had allowed the place to be overrun with riff-raff.

There's nothing like being prepared but you may be overthinking just a little.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

LanNes is either a city boy or watches the news too much! Just having fun with ya man. If camping with my kids (if I was allowed to have any), I'd be more concerned with them wandering off or burning themselves in the fire. The news makes a lot of people think there is a boogie man everywhere. Once late at night when camping I went for a walk with my wife to see the full moon over the water. Wife got a little nervous and said, "what if some weirdo is out there?" I replied, "I AM the weirdo to be scared of!"
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #11

Nope, only slightly a city girl. But an older female out camping with just her two disabled adult sons can be a bulls eye if even one predator is in the area.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. Considering we will be camping full time with all of our possessions (and my entire family) in the TT, I seriously doubt there will ever be any problems from an external source. But if there is, I will make certain to provide an update.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
RV There Yet?

are you concerned with your physical safety while actually at your site or having your rig broken into while you are gone or both? a very simple alarm system with all wireless sensors for doors and motion sensors solves that. one that has cell signal monitoring lets it alert you at any moment while you are gone.

leaving interior lights on when you are able at night makes people less likely to want to mess with you. check the laws where you are going to be traveling to, some have restrictions on personal protection devices. i do like the air horn approach though!
Old 10-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #13

Thank you - that is all I was asking. I didn't know if there was a brand of sensors, locks, etc., that were common for RVs etc. Didn't realize it would become of discussion of "there is never crime in good parks" and "this lady is simply paranoid, crime doesn't exist when camping because mother nature provides natural safety dome". Sorry if I am the type that will look both ways before crossing a one way street. While crime to campers is low, it is not non-existent (otherwise folks would have locks on their doors or padlock briefcase solar panels). A twenty second google search revealed there is definitely crime, even in state parks. Thankfully nothing like in cities, etc.
https://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/...tate-park.html
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ther-shootings
Old 10-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #14
Site Team

Nobody said that it never happens. Just that it's pretty rare.

AFAIK, there is nothing standard or common for all trailers. If you ask 10 different people what they do, you'll likely get 10 different answers.

Honestly, the best advice I can give is if possible, talk to the people camping near you. As they'll probably be the closest available help if something does happen.

Other than that, just do whatever you feel is best for your situation.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #15

'Campers' are almost always the friendliest first class people. People that actually WANT to help you make your camping experience great. Hep you back in, bring over fire wood if you have none, drink a 'soda' with you and visit and visit... state parks and National Parks have entrance fees and always a 'Campground host. criminals most likely will not 'pay' to get into a place to 'steal' used items. Introduce yourself and get to know the Campground 'Host'. I have camped for decades and have a lot of 'stuff'.... chairs, cooking stuff, dinning flys, bikes, coolers, tools, everything that 'ya got to have' and almost never use..... nothing has ever went 'missing' that I know of and if it did, it was because.... the kids/wife (never me) did not get it packed back into the truck/camper when we were done camping and left. For safety reasons that come to mind, I am more worried about getting TO and From the campground that I am staying at. People will walk and drive by your 'site' all of the time... Camping people (in general) do not steal or have any intention of harming anyone. Do I 'lock' my camper if I leave for a half hour? NO.... A couple of hours or more.. Yes. But... all of our camping 'stuff' is still out there and never 'goes anywhere'. I know that you have a lot on your mind and 'Camping' IS a lot of 'Work', but the rewards far out weigh 'the cost' of that 'work'..... RELAX.... and Trust People... or do not go in the first place, for the sake of your nerves.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanNes View Post
Thank you - that is all I was asking. I didn't know if there was a brand of sensors, locks, etc., that were common for RVs etc. Didn't realize it would become of discussion of "there is never crime in good parks" and "this lady is simply paranoid, crime doesn't exist when camping because mother nature provides natural safety dome". Sorry if I am the type that will look both ways before crossing a one way street. While crime to campers is low, it is not non-existent (otherwise folks would have locks on their doors or padlock briefcase solar panels). A twenty second google search revealed there is definitely crime, even in state parks. Thankfully nothing like in cities, etc.
https://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/...tate-park.html
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ther-shootings
You are doing great. Better to be prepared and not need it. Hope we get to camp next to you and your guys sometime.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #17

Please, please, please don't just go out and buy a Taser without taking some legit protection classes and training. Remember that any defense weapon (Taser, mace, gun, screaming spouse) is just as likely to be used against you or misused by a loved one to hurt themselves. I would hate for one of my kids to shoot themselves in the eye with a Taser dart or get knocked down by it and fall down, knocking their teeth out. As a law enforcement officer, I am almost always armed if I am ever out of the house. However, when camping, I tend to step it down a notch and relax because the people around me are typically in the same boat as me - they are just looking to get out and relax. There is definitely crime everywhere. This includes campgrounds. However, I would think most crimes are crimes of opportunity. Unoccupied stuff being stolen while unsecured.

I definitely think you are wise to consider the best means to protect yourself and two handicapped sons. That is a lot to be responsible for. However, if you are this concerned about crime and safety, I am afraid you either may never be able to relax and have fun or else should find slightly different places to camp (anecdotally, we have camped all over the country and the only campground I got a skeevy feeling from was a KOA outside Orlando).

All that said, I hope you and your sons are able to make some happy memories and enjoy the warm weather you all are blessed with down there!
Old 10-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #18

A can of wasp spray is a good deterrent. It will spray 10-15 feet. It supposedly will not blind you but will irritate the eyes enough to allow you to take evasive actions. Just a thought........
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #19
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
A can of wasp spray is a good deterrent. It will spray 10-15 feet. It supposedly will not blind you but will irritate the eyes enough to allow you to take evasive actions. Just a thought........
And after that if it was a human who it was used on, they will certainly be very ticked off and intent on harming you now!!!!
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
I live in Florida - three can minimum in stock every summer because those wasp find every nook and cranny in my yard and gutters!!