Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 09:59 PM   #21
StlClay

We have used a Tadi Bros unit for two years with great success. Paid $200 for system at Hershey PA show and installed at campground. Neverevenbothered to install mirror extensions again ! Never a signal problem. Used Scotch velcro stick on mounts for the transmitter unit. Highly reccomend.

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #22

Back up/rear view wireless camera and monitor

I installed an inexpensive, ( under $100 ) Peak antifreeze brand backup camera, purchased at Menards, on our 2012 Dutchman Kodiak TT. Using an $8, 25 foot camera extension wire, I located the transmitter under the propane tanks cover. I wired it to an on/off switch connected to the battery so it could always be switched on whil towing.
IT WORKED FABULOUSLY!
So well, in fact, that I purchased another one for our new Rockwood Mini Lite 2304. We are now on the first leg of our inaugural trip to Arkansas and, again, this device works superbly.
At least during the day. We haven't driven at night with the Rockwood, but I know it was less than perfect for night driving in the Kodiak.
On the Kodiak, and the 2304 I have installed l e d fog lights on my rear bumper which can be switched on at night for easy backing into camp sites. And my driveway.
Basically, I'm saying that you DO NOT have to spend a lot of money for a decent rear view camera and monitor.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #23

I just wag the tail a little and I can see of anyone is behind me. I tried a camera mounted on the rear of old fiver and just didn't help any. If I need to change lanes signal on, check mirrors and move when clear. If someone is on my six that's not my problem.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #24

It seems like a few of us are being a bit cavalier about irresponsable drivers around us. There are a lot of Le Mans wannabes out there that loath anything moving down the road at less that 10 miles over the speed limit. Particularly if is a big box in their way. They have no clue that they are propelling a 2-ton missile of death. Folks, it is my problem if I become involved in an accident when I could have let the fool get past and kill himself /herself farther down the road. My gun may be bigger than his/her gun, but he/she is more agile and has the devil on their shoulder.

So what do I do? Everything I can to see what is going on all 360 degrees, blind spots included. It is that extra edge of safety and knowing I have done everything I can to keep the most precious cargo sitting next to me safe.

If you ever have doubts about rear view monitoring systems, take a ride through Atlanta (or any large metropolitan area). There are multiple lanes, on ramps. off ramps and required lane changes in short distances and, of course, road construction and accidents. You put on a turn signal to change lanes and the vehicle in your blind spot decides to change lanes and come around you anyway. This beehive of activity is changing by the fraction of a second. That extra eye is imperative.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #25

Don't remember ever hearing that someone behind you being referred to as "in ones blind spot".
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #26

I tried a wireless camera - resolution was not great, frequent dropouts and interference from other radio frequencies when traveling.

I then bought an inexpensive camera, mounted it on my spare tire cover, wired power to the camera from a 12v running light on the back of the TT. Then ran a long thin video cable to the back of my TV which connects to a Garmin 7" GPS screen on the dash.

No interference, video is in color, very clear, and power to the camera is controlled by turning the TT running lights on or off.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Don't remember ever hearing that someone behind you being referred to as "in ones blind spot".
So goes the saying with the truckers, If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you

Safety Decal: If You Can't See my Mirrors, I Can't See You

The Wikipedia definition pretty well covers it all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_spot_(vehicle)
Old 03-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #28

[QUOTE=PenJoe;1127027]It seems like a few of us are being a bit cavalier about irresponsable drivers around us. There are a lot of Le Mans wannabes out there that loath anything moving down the road at less that 10 miles over the speed limit. Particularly if is a big box in their way. They have no clue that they are propelling a 2-ton missile of death. Folks, it is my problem if I become involved in an accident when I could have let the fool get past and kill himself /herself farther down the road. My gun may be bigger than his/her gun, but he/she is more agile and has the devil on their shoulder.

So what do I do? Everything I can to see what is going on all 360 degrees, blind spots included. It is that extra edge of safety and knowing I have done everything I can to keep the most precious cargo sitting next to me safe.

If you ever have doubts about rear view monitoring systems, take a ride through Atlanta (or any large metropolitan area). There are multiple lanes, on ramps. off ramps and required lane changes in short distances and, of course, road construction and accidents. You put on a turn signal to change lanes and the vehicle in your blind spot decides to change lanes and come around you anyway. This beehive of activity is changing by the fraction of a second. That extra eye is imperative

I have pulled through Atlanta several times. If I have my signal on and you whop around me I'm going to run you off the road, sorry. I ran a Chrysler 300C into construction barrels on I20 E in Atlanta when he tried to go around me and that lane was ending. I never stopped.

I've ran an Atlanta PD off the road on I85 when I was trying to merge over to exit. He came off another exit and again tried to whip around me to get the same exit as I was going onto. He caught up to me a mile or so and waved at me and kept going.

Big city or back roads I'm taking my rights and will do the legal moves to get where going.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #29

Quote:
OK "Bumper Humper"! Youroo!!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlcaly View Post
We have used a Tadi Bros unit for two years with great success. Paid $200 for system at Hershey PA show and installed at campground. Neverevenbothered to install mirror extensions again ! Never a signal problem. Used Scotch velcro stick on mounts for the transmitter unit. Highly reccomend.
Mi & Ky.require "Towing Mirrors" you may want to "reinstall in these States"! Youroo!!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #31

I don't see how more views could ever be a bad thing, especially when it doubles as a backup camera. I am not the greatest backer in the world...i just don't have to do it enough to make it second nature.

If anyone has experience with the cheaper wireless cams good or bad please toss them in here. I think i am going to try one of the suspect multi-purpose ones that connect to your iphone. If it doesn't work i will send it back.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
I don't see how more views could ever be a bad thing, especially when it doubles as a backup camera. I am not the greatest backer in the world...i just don't have to do it enough to make it second nature.

If anyone has experience with the cheaper wireless cams good or bad please toss them in here. I think i am going to try one of the suspect multi-purpose ones that connect to your iphone. If it doesn't work i will send it back.
There are two camera technologies used in mobile video systems: The CMOS is used in the cheaper cameras and lacks some qualities. The CCD is the better technology.

When I was researching, as you are now, I ran across an eBay seller that had posted a reasonably understandable explanation of cameras, field of view, +/- of each technology. It might help clear up some of the questions you have. When you find a system that interests you, do a reviews search using the model #. Read the 1-star to 3-star reviews to see if there are recurring complaints you would rather not deal with. Then go to the 4 and 5 star reviews. The longer the review, the more you will learn about it. "It sucks" tells you very little.

See the info below. It's not "everything", but it's a start.

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT REAR VIEW CAMERAS | eBay
Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
So goes the saying with the truckers, If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you

Safety Decal: If You Can't See my Mirrors, I Can't See You

The Wikipedia definition pretty well covers it all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_spot_(vehicle)
There you go. Just install one of those signs on the back of your rig. Says more to other motorists than a rear view camera that says nothing to them. A rear view camera for backing may certainly be a good thing but to try and justify one for seeing what's behind you while tooling down the road is , well. The great big rear end of a camper/motorhome is certainly hard to conceal traveling on the road. All my attention is dead ahead and to the sides, that's where all the action is going to be that will make me have to take evasive action to avoid issues. Not what's behind me. I'm done.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #34

My rear view camera also has a mic. I can not only keep an eye on my wife when backing, I can hear her directions
Old 03-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #35

V-lite, you are Every Woman's Dream Husband! Your wife should be keeping an eye on you, based on your having all the traits a woman reputedly needs in a man ( following directions and (adoringly?) eyeballing her. :-). ( sorry, couldn't resist)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #36

I drove a truck for 25 years and never worried about getting hit in the rear end, check your mirows often and again before changing lanes always .
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coolyard View Post
V-lite, you are Every Woman's Dream Husband! Your wife should be keeping an eye on you, based on your having all the traits a woman reputedly needs in a man ( following directions and (adoringly?) eyeballing her. :-). ( sorry, couldn't resist)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thank you, Jim. I read your post to my wife and now she realizes what a get catch I am.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #38

With all the extra screens to view (installed extra's GPS, TPS,backup) could a driver experience information overload and not pay enough attention to what is out the front window? I do see the value in backing up and watching the person guiding, with that said I'm by myself so I get out and check the area first before backing.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #39

I have all of that, gps, back up camera, tire pressure monitor, in my car on an everyday basis. There is no sensory overload when you use these devices as needed. And, when needed they are a Godsend!
The rear view camera and the capability of having a panoramic view with NO BLINDSPOTS of what's coming up behind my trailer is a fantastic thing. And, of course, there is also the obvious benefits when backing the trailer into a campsite.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #40

Quote:
There you go. Just install one of those signs on the back of your rig. Says more to other motorists than a rear view camera that says nothing to them. A rear view camera for backing may certainly be a good thing but to try and justify one for seeing what's behind you while tooling down the road is , well. The great big rear end of a camper/motorhome is certainly hard to conceal traveling on the road. All my attention is dead ahead and to the sides, that's where all the action is going to be that will make me have to take evasive action to avoid issues. Not what's behind me. I'm done.
I'm not done. I can sum it up this way. People either can't read, don't read, or use it as an incentive to act even more stupid. I can't change their ways. A sign can not give me information which is my sole purpose of having the rear camera. "(B)ut to try and justify one for seeing what's behind you while tooling down the road is , well", a safety factor.

First, we would have to agree that there is a substantial blind spot behind the rig, no matter how good the mirrors. I believe most of us would agree.

Now, for an example, a Le Mans wannabe approaching from the rear, is well over your speed and is changing lanes to gain a car length. He comes into your blind spot, but can't get around you because of traffic in the adjoining lanes. You are focused on the road ahead. You pass the slower traffic or the faster traffic passes you giving you the chance to change lanes, So, being a good driver, you signal and start your move. But the Le Mans wannabe has other plans. Pedal to the metal wannabe slides out of your draft in a slingshot move to get past you. Your turn signal means nothing. Tell me this has never happened even not pulling a TT or driving an RV? And, pray tell, what happens when you try to get back into your lane-the tail wags the dog? Honestly, this is not my way of meeting people.

In this scenario, I have the advantage, because I can see this fool weaving in anticipation of a quick lane change. I am not going to change the wannabe's mind to make another suicide move, no matter the billboard sign on my bumper. I just let them past and then make my move.

A few years ago, DW and I were on I-75, 2 lanes southbound, not towing and in the right hand lane. We were doing 75 mph and were being passed by a semi in the adjoining lane doing about 80 MPH. I looked in the rear view mirror (didn't need a camera) and saw a black Mustang approaching our rear bumper at around a 100 MPH. He wasn't going to slow down. I told DW, "This is going to be interesting" and had her warned of a possible rear end collision. My choices were to stay in my lane or take the shoulder and let him past. He took the shoulder and passed us and somehow managed to keep control. We fully expected to see his entrails farther up the road. Had this happened when I was making a lane change and not expecting this fool would have been disastrous.

This is not a chest thumping contest, but more to discuss the pros and cons of an inquiry. I learn something on these threads daily and I have been camping longer than some of the others here have been alive. I did drive RVs and pull TTs without incident for decades without a rear observation camera, so, I agree, it can be done. But if there is technology to make our journey safer, why not use it. I will say that for DW and I, towing is less stressful with a good rear view camera system. Both driver and passenger can see to the rear. Why not put the information out there to let each of us make the choices?

Tags
towing