Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #41

Great to have the camper at home if you're positive local zoning lets you park a trailer there. Just curious as I've never lived any place that allows camper, boat, or any trailers in the front yard. Even if you don't have a HOA there may be zoning in your town. Can be hair-splitting. The last house I owned required a trailer to be behind the line of the front of the house and I got a notice when the tongue of my boat trailer was a foot in front of that line. Gotta love neighbors!

Assuming you're good to go I'd support the front of the trailer with the jack, the device designed to support the weight. If the trailer originally came with stabilizers it is probably because levelers will bend and damage the trailer frame which is normally pretty light on campers. Stabilizers are there to remove any shake, not support the weight of the trailer. I'd use the tongue jack regardless.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #42
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelkol View Post
I spoke with the factory rep at BAL. He said to not rely upon them as the only chock used.
Of course...which is why I back myself up with regular chocks or wood blocks.

Mostly to cover maybe a flat tire or something like that while it is parked.

Quote:
I have also heard of the arms bending when too tight and the trailer wants to move.

My guess is that the BAL rep said that to CHOA (Cover His Own Rear End).

I suppose that could be true with some of the gigantic and super heavy 40+ foot TT's and 5'vers.

But anything under 10,000 pounds on a reasonably level surface and I just don't see that as an issue.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #43

Another quick solution is to pour two concrete pads, two feet by six feet, located where your TT tires will be when parked. . It’s not difficult to get the forms perfectly level and the cost is about $100 or less. After doing that you’ll always have a side to side level trailer and all you have to do after unhooking is raise/lower the tongue jack to finish the job. My 25x40 carport is on a mild slope with about six inches difference side to side. Putting down a complete pad would cost more than the actual structure. The mini pads have worked well for several years.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #44

For what it's worth....
Up until 3 months ago I had a very slopped RV parking spot here at home.

In order to get my 5th wheel level enough to put the slides out I had to raise the front landing legs to maximum, which were already standing on 18 inches of 2X4 cribbing, then support the front with an 8X8 inch post under the pin box , with bracing, then retract the legs...place another 16 inches of cribbing on top the other one.
Still then to be level it had to be raised another 12 inches via the landing legs. Then I would place another 8X8 under the pin box and brace it for the winter....This was a very precarious .

Now, after removing several yards of fill and retaining the sides with alan blocks, I have a near level hard packed gravel parking spot that allows me to do any brake or bearing work on my 5th wheel....I placed 24X24 inch concrete pads where the tires sit.

This is Much Nicer than having to deal with a slopped parking spot.

Now I never have to worry about the heavy winds with the 5th wheel perched up on blocking.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling