RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-21-2020, 11:50 PM   #1

Selling Canadian Registered Trailer in US

Looking for advice on going about selling a travel trailer that I purchased in the US but registered it in Canada and itís now located in the US. I prefer not to bring it back to Canada. What do I need to do to sell it where itís Canadian registered?
Newfiepet Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiepet Lady View Post
Looking for advice on going about selling a travel trailer that I purchased in the US but registered it in Canada and itís now located in the US. I prefer not to bring it back to Canada. What do I need to do to sell it where itís Canadian registered?
I am guessing that the specific process will depend on the state you are trying to sell in.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:54 AM   #3

Yes, You need to call the state you are going to transfer the paper in and ask them. Their rules are cut and dried. It doesn't matter what anyone on here has did in the past, the laws could have changed since then.
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #4

It’s currently located in Arizona.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #5

Should be simple. Regardless of registration it is still considered "Us Goods" so no duty is required.

Depending on the state an inspection to verify VIN and Title plus any fees or Sales Tax is all that's necessary. Same as any other vehicle coming from another state for new registration.

Here's what "Custom's" says on the topic

Quote:
The provision 9801.00. 10 in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) allows U.S. made products to return to the U.S. without duty requirements. However, the provision stipulates the goods value could not have been advanced nor the condition improved while abroad.
Maybe even less trouble than when you registered it in Canada.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #6

The first number of the VIN tells you what country it was manufactured in. VINs starting with a 1, 4 or 5 were manufactured in US. VINs starting with a 2 were manufactured in Canada. That should clear up any import duty issue. Manufactured in the US, sold in the US, no issues but you will have to transfer the title, but I doubt that will be a problem.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #7

While I don't disagree with TitanMike that rules change all the time, some time ago we looked at trading our Canadian made and registered trailer in the States. The dealer in Montana informed us that we would have to go back to the border and begin the import process there. We didn't so I don't know what that would have entailed.

Paul

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40TSP
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #8

That information on the first number of the VIN is useful. I did not know that.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #9

An additional piece of information is that after the trailer was purchased in the US it never did come to Canada. We had it registered in Canada with the intent of bringing it here but now plan to sell it there. Would that change anything regarding duties do you think?
Old 11-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
An additional piece of information is that after the trailer was purchased in the US it never did come to Canada. We had it registered in Canada with the intent of bringing it here but now plan to sell it there. Would that change anything regarding duties do you think?
Probably insure there would be no duties, if there really are any under current trade agreements. Might need to prove it with sales documents and site rental/storage receipts but I doubt it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #11
Full Time RV'er

I bought a F350 from Canada. In Arizona it just needs an inspection. Most states require inspections for licensed vehicles.
eaglecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #12

Proof of ownership

In every state I've ever lived, you can transfer ownership by paying to have your existing title replaced with the state where you are. Also, in any state I've lived, all you need for a new title in the case that the title is 'lost' or you simply don't have it, you can pay a lost title fee and a search will be done to ensure that the vehicle is not currently titled in another state or to another individual, and a title in the state you are trying to title it, will issue you a title.

If I were selling a Canadian titled vehicle, I wouldn't necessarily bother with a new title, as long as I had the ability to confirm that I was the legal owner. A bill of sale and the old title should work for the buyer to register it in whatever state they reside. If you provide proof that ownership is transferred, i.e., a clear title and a bill of sale that matches the current owner (you) as seller and the new owner as buyer, just let them take care of registration and licensing.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #13
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I am guessing that the specific process will depend on the state you are trying to sell in.
So true. Probably won't be any issues with duties if it was never exported, but a State's DMV may question why the vehicle was registered in Canada, but never taken into that country? Most states, and Canada subscribe to the VLIN (Vehicle Licensing Identification Network), and they can trace the history of Titling/Registration of any given vehicle. Knowing some of these states, they may impose sales tax and/or a motor vehicle tax of sorts on the sale.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #14

Quote:
I think I misunderstood. If you are selling it to someone in Canada, how will you get it to them if you don't want it to go back to Canada? If they come to pick it up, why can't they transfer the title in Canada, since that's where it's titled and these days, can't that all be done by mail before they pick it up, if they pay you and you send them the title? Then they could bring their Canadian (whatever province) license tag and title and take it back to Canada as their Canadian property, avoiding importation.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #15

We tried to do that last year. Unbelievable red tape. First it has to be inspected by ADOT. Then you HAVE TO engage the services of a broker. We figured our 5er was worth $9K. Cost to legally sell it in Arizona would have STARTED at $400 and ended gawd knows where. The broker (we got a list of them from customs at the Tuscon airport) gave us a 3 page "application" just engage their services. We towed it all over Tuscon including up the departures lane at the airport (that was fun) and finally gave up the whole idea and towed it home to Arizona City.
fgillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #16

I’m selling it to an American living in the US. The travel trailer is located in Arizona where it was purchased. I had planned to bring it to Canada that’s why I had it registered here but decided to sell it there instead.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #17

OK, different situation now that I know you bought it in the US. Ours came from Canada so they wanted us to IMPORT it into the US.
fgillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #18

I would check with the state in which your buyers wish to title it. I assume that you have the title.

A Title is normally for ownership, registering is different it is the liscence plates to put it on the road. (Here anyway)

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer