Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #1

seperate galley and sewer drop"?

My new 831krss has a seperate drop that is right under the slide out and then 15 feet beyond that to the back of the trailer is the normal gray and black water drops. I've read a few people on here talking about this and it just seems like a bad engineering design. Does anyone know a reason why they would plumb it like this?
What i was wondering if anyone has tried is running a sewer hose from the front drop and then connecting the back drops with some sort of "Y" connector and another hose.
Honestly its probably not that big of a deal since the sink is the only thing that is going to drain into that front tank it probably wouldnt fill up over a weekend anyway so i could just wait to drain that one once i close the slide.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #2

I have a rear galley tank on my Flagstaff that only drains the kitchen sink. I have two sewer hoses, on 10' and one 20'. I keep the galley tank closed until I need to dump it, then put the hose back. I keep two lengths because one or the other will be needed for either the main black/gray tanks or the galley tank. We can go almost a week before I have to dump the galley tank so I have found this to be the easiest solution rather than trying to connect both hoses together.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #3

My Flag V-lite has the same crazy setup. I read a post (on this forum, I think), where the owner made his own pumping system to pump grey shower/bath sink water (which fills up FAST) into the kitchen sink grey tank, which is usually close to empty. He bought ahother sure-flo water pump, and enough hose to run between the 2 tanks. He made/installed fittings in the sides of the tanks about mid ways up, so you can pump the full tank down to a usable level. Just keep a close eye on the level indicators, then turn pump off. I'm going to do this mod to mine, because I do quite a bit of dry camping.
Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

I don't think it's bad engineering design. My 8280SS will be the same way. I think it's done that way to save weight, cost and complexity. It takes so long to fill the galley tank and I think waiting til it's full to dump it would tend to wash away stinky sediment.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #5

It really depends on how big your tanks are. On the Flagstaff V-lite models, the grey tanks are 25 gallon each. It doesn't take long to fill one up with 4 people showering for 2 days- let alone 3! I'm going to install the pumping system to alleviate some of the problem. If you camp where sewer hookups are on site, It's not really an issue. But most Florida state parks only have dump stations, which would require either moving the camper to empty them, or portable totes to pull to the dump station. Too much work! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #6

our camper has kitchen and bathroom sinks into galley tank , 33 gallons , and it fills quickly. our shower is to gray tank 33 gall and it doesnt fill so quickly.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:36 AM   #7

Mine is the same way, galley under the slide out and black and gray in front of the slide out. I leave the galley open while camping. When it is time to go, I close it add some water and chemical.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #8

My 8315SS Rockwood had separate drains. The Black tank and Grey tank at the rear of the TT were tied together. The Galley tank, up front, was on it's own and located directly under the Living room/Kitchen slide-out. The problem was trying to get to the Galley drain valve while the slide-out was extended.

I re-plumbed it to where the front Galley tank and the rear Grey tanks are tied together. If needed, I can transfer water, through gravity flow, from one tank to the other, depending on which one contains the most liquid.

It sure is nice having only one drain to deal with.

View my re-plumb project here
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
My 8315SS Rockwood had separate drains. The Black tank and Grey tank at the rear of the TT were tied together. The Galley tank, up front, was on it's own and located directly under the Living room/Kitchen slide-out. The problem was trying to get to the Galley drain valve while the slide-out was extended.

I re-plumbed it to where the front Galley tank and the rear Grey tanks are tied together. If needed, I can transfer water, through gravity flow, from one tank to the other, depending on which one contains the most liquid.

It sure is nice having only one drain to deal with.

View my re-plumb project here
I checked out your mods on your camper and they all look great, one question, looking at the pipe that you used to tie the thanks to gather, what size is it? This is something I wanted to do last year, I hate the way it is set up it is a royal pain.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #10

The piping is 1-1/2" ABS.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
The piping is 1-1/2" ABS.
Thanks....