Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Septic Work and Adding RV Dump

We are planning to install an RV pad with electric/water (and maybe sewer) in preparation for full time living in our RV. Ideally we'd rent the house out, then come back a couple times a year to visit with family and park at the house. Our house is on a well and septic, so we'd pay the tenants for electric use whenever we are in town.

We thought we had some time to figure this out, but we are in the unfortunate position of needing some septic work done, and have a contractor coming to evaluate our issue 2 weeks from today. The most likely scenario we are facing is a repair of the drain field (allowable once in our township). Part of this work will also include digging up and replacing the cast iron sewer pipe from the house to the septic tank, as it is in poor condition (already had the inside converted to PVC about 8 years ago).

I'm toying around with the idea of adding an RV dump into our septic system since the ground will be all dug up (maybe taking the opportunity to bury electrical conduit and a water pipe as well).

Our proposed RV pad would be on the opposite side of the drain field from the tank, so we'd either need to run sewer pipe (which we could do while the ground is dug up) or come up with some other way to access the tank for dumping. If it is a complete septic system replacement (God forbid), maybe we can work it in without too much added trouble.

Looking for advice and/or info from folks who have done this. Any big stumbling blocks I'm not considering?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

All you need is a port on the inflow side of the tank. PVC pipe is cheap and you won't need to go to a pump out facility.
We installed a threaded cap of the same pipe thread as the Camco screw on fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39736-R...+Caps+Included
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #3

There are ways to drain at least a hundred feet (such as sewer solution), if your potential pad is not too far from an existing or future or current access.

If the distance is not a problem, for once in a while use, something like that may be more practical.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
All you need is a port on the inflow side of the tank. PVC pipe is cheap and you won't need to go to a pump out facility.
We installed a threaded cap of the same pipe thread as the Camco screw on fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39736-R...+Caps+Included
Chances are that any work on the septic system will require submitting a set of plans to the township for a permit. Local code will often dictate what you can and can't do. Where I live many jurisdictions won't allow "full hookups" on a lot that already has a residence on it. Afraid people will turn RV's into permanent residences and rent them out.

Also, a minimum slope is required in the line you will run to the septic tank. The depth of the existing tank will dictate whether or not you can run sufficient distance. My Daughter owned a house for many years that was remodeled and the bathroom moved to the opposite end of the house from the septic tank. End result was insufficient slope to keep the discharge pipe clear. About twice a month my Son In Law was snaking out the line from the toilet as there wasn't enough slope to force "solids" to flow all the way to the S. Tank.

If it is possible to add the hookups the distance/slope issue can be overcome with a sump and lift pump. Residential setups don't really cost an arm and a leg, maybe just a foot

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #5

Thanks all!

The more research I do, the more I think requesting an outside sewer line clean out, then using a macerator pump may be the way to go. I've read that townships that won't approve RV hookups oftentimes suggest renaming the RV dump to a sewer line clean out on the plans so they can approve it.

In any case, our current clean out is in the basement, and if there's a problem the last thing we want to do is open that clean out and dump septic waste into the basement!
Old 08-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by learjetta96 View Post

The more research I do, the more I think requesting an outside sewer line clean out, then using a macerator pump may be the way to go.

As I was reading down through the posts I was all geared up to type this, but you beat me to it!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #7

Our dump station was in line from the house to the septic tank. It was a clean out port on the permit.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #8

Around 1990 we had tree root issues with the sewer line that extended from the house to the inlet of the septic tank. To avoid any future issues along with the repair, we installed cleanouts so the line could be “snaked” as needed…it never has.

2017 rolls around, we retire, get a Class C and we have a perfect at home dump station … I told DW I had planned it that way…

As long as you are digging things up...put cleanouts in...strategically of course.

Cree P
Creedmore P Crawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #9

We are currently sitting 70 ft from the septic tank. We went the macerator route. So far after two months of use all is working out very well. I would suggest to anyone that uses this method to empty black tank often. Not sure if this is true with all macerator pumps but our flowJet pump will shut off (thermal cutoff) after 8 to 10 min.
dtrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrussell View Post
We are currently sitting 70 ft from the septic tank. We went the macerator route. So far after two months of use all is working out very well. I would suggest to anyone that uses this method to empty black tank often. Not sure if this is true with all macerator pumps but our flowJet pump will shut off (thermal cutoff) after 8 to 10 min.
Are you using an extension cord? Could be that the macerator/pump is drawing enough current to cause big voltage drop. This always leads to motors heating up.

I"m referring to long cords so if you have a nearby power source that limits power cord length to 25 feet or so power should be good. Just use the heaviest cord you have.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #11

Just convert a "household garbage disposal "to a RV maceration pump, do a Search at Top! Youroo! !
Old 09-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #12

Some people claim that grinders (including macerators?) do such a good job that the solids stay suspended in the solution when dumped in a septic tank, causing problems with the leach field. Is this a valid concern when dumping our RV's into residential septic systems?
Old 09-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
Some people claim that grinders (including macerators?) do such a good job that the solids stay suspended in the solution when dumped in a septic tank, causing problems with the leach field. Is this a valid concern when dumping our RV's into residential septic systems?
There are baffles at the inlet, baffles at outlet, and often a filter on the outlet. A macerator wont keep things in suspension any more than just normal tank operation.

Most septic tanks are 1,000 gallon vaults. Dump 20-40 gallons of macerated sewage into the tank and it flows very slowly out into the leach field. Problems occur when one might dump an rv tank frequently and the digestion/settling process cant run its course.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #14

Wishing you luck on your project. Sold my house last month and the estimated $400 - $500 inspection and pumping of the septic turned into an extra $1200 cost when roots were found. The inspection company charged two complete inspection charges, but "generously" withheld the charge for a new cover after they broke the original.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks all!

The more research I do, the more I think requesting an outside sewer line clean out, then using a macerator pump may be the way to go. I've read that townships that won't approve RV hookups oftentimes suggest renaming the RV dump to a sewer line clean out on the plans so they can approve it.

In any case, our current clean out is in the basement, and if there's a problem the last thing we want to do is open that clean out and dump septic waste into the basement!

I thought I had a problem with roots or something in my drain lines of my septic system and replaced the tank and more drain lines. I found out I could have saved myself a bunch of money if I had just pumped out the septic tank every few years.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks all!

That is what i do when i do the thorough cleaning when getting ready to winterize works great i wouldn't tell the township anything about dumping my RV i would just say i wanted an outside cleanout, The county i live in makes you instal an outside cleanout
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote