Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #1

service centers have really degraded the term service

my son purchased a 2022 travel trailer Bunk House from a local to us dealership this spring. The sales person told him he had 90 days to flag any items which were damaged or failed a goodness of fit test.

2 screws in the bunk house are sticking out through the wall and next to where their 4 yr old daughter sleeps, the stove door was dented, more screws sticking out of the wall in the walkable area in the master bedroom, etc etc.

they also had a recall for the black tank to be replaced and the fittings on the propane.

he took it into the selling RV dealership and dumped his tanks in their drop area so the staff wouldn't have to.
when he went in to drop the keys off the parts supervisor asked if he just dumped his tanks and my son said yes.

Parts guy - that's 10$
Son - nope I did the service techs a service as they would have had to clean out whatever was in there to complete the recall on the black water tank.

Returned to pick up his trailer and they told him he had 30 days to list the issues, to which he produced an email from the sales person stating 90 days.

he picks up the trailer and drives home (1.5 hours) to prepare for vacation.

finds that the water line to the toilet has been cut when they sliced the underbelly protective cover to remove the tank recall issue and also notices that the propane line is laying across the axles rubbing all the way home.

this is the same dealership that had my trailer for 5 weeks to look at a freezer door issue and left my hatches unlocked, battery dead and bent a landing leg to the point where I could not retract it.

they were shocked when i told them I could load it into my truck and denied everything.

Are many people seeing similar issues with the service they are getting in NA?
Old 08-05-2022, 09:35 AM   #2

I only get bad service once from a business

You don't have to take your unit to the dealer you purchased it from.
Mobile RV or a closer repair shop is acceptable to keep the warranties

Contact FR to get a list of repair places near you
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/Contact-Us in the box put on this page put in your RV make eg ... Salem
Old 08-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #3
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
my son purchased a 2022 travel trailer Bunk House from a local to us dealership this spring. The sales person told him he had 90 days to flag any items which were damaged or failed a goodness of fit test.
90 days??!! Never, never, never pull it off the lot (accept delivery) until you go over it with a super-fine tooth comb and get every issue CORRECTED. You will never have the leverage over a dealership like that again. They have a sale riding on it, and you are free to cancel the deal up to the point you accept delivery. They are basically at your mercy. Once you accept delivery, you are at their mercy.

It took about 3 hours to check out my unit when I bought it, and another 1.5 hours for them to fix the 3 gigs I found.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
90 days??!! Never, never, never pull it off the lot (accept delivery) until you go over it with a super-fine tooth comb and get every issue CORRECTED. You will never have the leverage over a dealership like that again. They have a sale riding on it, and you are free to cancel the deal up to the point you accept delivery. They are basically at your mercy. Once you accept delivery, you are at their mercy.

It took about 3 hours to check out my unit when I bought it, and another 1.5 hours for them to fix the 3 gigs I found.

Tim
Honestly, I don't want the dealer to fix anything, especially in a hurry up and make the sale and get them out the door situation. Most of the time I will have to redo the 'repairs' later and they usually mess something else up in the process.
I will take it to an independent service only shop/mobile for approved warranty work if I can't do it myself.
I use dealers only to get the best price available, then I never see them again.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I use dealers only to get the best price available, then I never see them again.
X2
In the ten years I had the MiniLite I never returned to the dealer. Had a local independent do some work twice. I dealt with everything else.

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #6

You may have 90 days, but if it's a new rig, Forest River has a one year warranty. Unless this is a new second owner unit.

When we took our rig (not under warranty anymore) to the dealer, they took pictures of all parts of the rig that were to be fixed and some overall pictures. Pictures were also taken as we picked it up. That might be something you want to do.

At this point, you probably need to follow Aussieguy's advice.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #7

I guess I've been lucky. My current trailer, a 2018 model purchased in 2017, has yet have an issue I needed the Dealer to take care of.

The few issues that showed up as i used it were minor and I handled myself.

Perhaps the fact that it is a "Pre-Covid production" unit makes the difference.

As for "Service" in general, what service?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service