Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #1

Thumbs down Sewer hose

Just watched a camper drain his tanks. He had his gloves on, good idea. Then he put his white water hose about 1 foot into the sewer hose. Then people wonder why the get sick when camping. Where is the common sense when using a TT. He then attached his 30foot surveyor to his Dodge Ram. No WDH and no anti sway control. Yesterday the person to the other side put their sewer hose over the water valve. As soon as they left I went out and sprayed bleach on the tap. Don't they realize what is going through the SEWER hose. Do things right and we all stay safe.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
CampeRooo

Well said & I 100% agree. Keeping that spray bottle of bleach on hand is a great idea and everyone should have one ready to go and use prior to each hookup and after each disconnect. I refuse to drink any water going through my TT...only from a known good source like bottled water or from our own home filled water bottles. Just too much risk involved to trust what happened before we checked in.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
J. Parham

The thought of hooking a white hose up to my camper that has been one foot down a poop pipe make me cringe. We never drink any water from the camp ground. We always carry bottled water for cooking and drinking. I also flush the hose for a few seconds before hooking it to my rig. After reading this I may extend that to a few minutes. That is just disgusting...
Nights Camped in 2012: 85
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

I've got one hose and one hose only that gets near any of my drains. The others never go anywhere but for fresh water. AND those different hoses never are near each other!

This last trip out I had our "blue boy" and it was easier for me to hook up a water/drain hose and have it some way from the camper than to hook up my sewer/drain hose.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #5

someone will see me using a white hose for the black tank flush but that is an old hose that don't get used for fresh water any more.

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Lottery Non-Winner

I have a shiny white hose for fresh water.
I have a dark grey hose for rinsing the black water out of the sewer hose.
These hoses have never met, are not friends, and are not even stored on the same side of the camper when not in use.
I'm going to adopt that bleach idea! That's a keeper!

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Any time that I hook up to a faucet at a site that does not have a sewer connection, I wipe the faucet down with Listerine inside and out to hopefully get rid of an contaminants left there by previous campers.

If I am hooking up to a faucet at a site that has a sewer connection, I will pour some IPA over the faucet, and light that puppy on fire. Who knows if the previous camper disconnected the sewer hose before disconnecting the water hose without washing his hands.

My wife says that I am anal.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthrbelsewhere View Post
Well said & I 100% agree. Keeping that spray bottle of bleach on hand is a great idea and everyone should have one ready to go and use prior to each hookup and after each disconnect. I refuse to drink any water going through my TT...only from a known good source like bottled water or from our own home filled water bottles. Just too much risk involved to trust what happened before we checked in.
Don't you sanitize your tanks with bleach? I've been drinking well water for years from campgrounds and I've never become ill. Heck, our city water comes from a well and it isn't any cleaner. I'm not a believer in bottled water. I consider it a colossal waste of money. As for hoses.....sewer hose and water hose are kept F A R apart.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #9

Watched a guy last weekend get out of his severely overloaded Durango to dump the tanks. He put on the sewer hose with no gloves, lit up a cigarette, and then started the dump process. While smoking the entire time with bare hands, he pulls the hose and then starts to spray it out, hitting his wife in the face with spray from the sewer hose. Did I mention he was smoking the entire time with bare hands?

I about threw up watching this......
Leroy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #10

We don't drink water that is plumbed through the camper, whether it is tank water filled from the house or CG water. We drink the municipal water at the house though. The water in the TT may sit in the plumbing of the TT for several weeks. The tank may be empty. Who knows what can be in or get into the stagnant water left in the plumbing.

As far as hoses, we have a white hose for tap water supply, a black hose for tank flush, and a green hose for utility hose while camping. They are wiped down, coiled up, and ends tightly connected. They are stored in the same compartment. We have not gotten sick from water or anything else while camping.

I have had several discussions with friends, some doctors, about this "anti bacterial" everything. The DW and myself, try to use non "anti bacterial" soaps to wash with as much as possible. We are diminishing our immune systems by killing off the stuff that it fights everyday. With our immune systems, if it's not needed, it goes away. {knocking on wood} I haven't even had a cold in years. Now don't get me wrong, I don't dump on the ground and roll in it, or dump on the ground, but I am not going to be wiping down everything I touch. I was an EMT for a FD and EMS service for 14 years in the days prior to latex gloves, safety glasses, and masks, and somehow we lived and didn't come down with a serious illness. If we knew the patient had a contagious disease, we would take universal precautions.

I understand how people feel, I don't like inconsideration anymore than the next, but going overboard may not be good either. Most importantly, enjoy life TODAY! A rock may fall from the sky tomorrow!
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Aw, you fellows-----

Aw, you fellows must have a weak stomach Next time you go to Wal-Mart, watch the kid in the buggy next to you put their hands down into their diaper, play with the "brown gold fish" that has collected in the
diaper then grab the push handle, switch hands, continue looking for more "BROWN GOLD FISH" the kid has in the diaper. Look how fast you turn your buggy push handle loose and think !!!!!!!!!!!

There was a recent survey and wipe test performed by a company, they determined shopping buggies were the most contaminated with E.coli than anything they had ever tested. (May have been consumers guide)

just my two cents
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #12

Listerine also makes a great mosquito repelent, just spray around the camp site it last for a day or two.
rbarrieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
MrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrieau View Post
Listerine also makes a great mosquito repelent, just spray around the camp site it last for a day or two.
And it gives the little bugsters fresh-smelling breath, too.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #14

I can't stand using Gloves. I never use them. Just do what I need to do and then wash my hands afterwards. The hose part is disgusting LOL.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #15

I wear gloves some times. If not I just wast my hands really good. I have also heard that it is bad to use the anti soap all the time.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #16

I would be more worried about touching anything in the washrooms at campgrounds than anything I would get from my sewer hose.Just a thought.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
camping

saw a guy a few weeks back just pull up and dump - no hose. only dumped the grey but still- use a hose. I use the disposable gloves and hand sanitizer when done, I seem to always have a cut or two on my hands, better safe than sorry. I know where my corn came from but do you know where they guy's before you came from!! those dump stations are nasty and every surface has some type of something on it.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #18

never was afraid of a few germs. I swear every kid in America these days is isolated from every germ we fought as kids. i think thats why they get sick so often. antibacterial wipes, antibacterial soap, antibacterial everthing creates superbugs that we are unable to fight. I live in wisconsin and we eat raw beef; (yes, ground round RAW with onions, salt & pepper on rye bread.) I've been eating this for 45+ years and I've never become ill from it. That's why I feel perfectly comfortable drinking the water from my TT. I sanitized the tank with bleach before we used it this spring, and I will continue to do this each spring. that being said, our fresh water hose and our sewer hose will never be neighbors......there are just some things that should never be stored together. I like the spray bottle with bleach idea. We've used this tip and carry a spray bottle with us to spray the faucet, hose, etc. at campgrounds. hubby seems to have a more delicate system than I do. LOL.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #19

We watched as the guy next to us in a CruiseAmerica Class C remove the drain cap to hookup the hose and drained both tanks on the ground. It was dumping so fast all he could do was hop around screaming four letter words. He obviously was not trained on proper procedure when attaching the drain hose. Sure made a mess.
kevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrieau View Post
i've heard that and it seems to work.

when the health dept came out 20+ years to test the water in my home, they cleaned the faucet then passed the flame from a propane torch over it a few times then took the sample.
i use disposable latex gloves when i dump.
i do drink the campground water. wouldn't have a problem drinking the water from the fresh water tank but it is used primarily to wash and flush. we have camped only once without water and that wasn't by design; the campground lost the well abt an hour after we hooked up.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote