Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #1

Sewer Hoses

Ok... I don't think I've cursed this much since I had to do the bearings on my truck...

I have the 5'er parked close to the house for the winter, and decided to flush out the tanks before the freezing weather comes. The trailer didn't come with any hoses, so I measured the distance to the sewer cleanout in my basement, to the valve on the trailer. 25'. Off to the RV dealership. Picked up a 10' and a 20' of mid grade hose, a screw together joiner, a rubber doughnut thingy to put into the sewer cleanout, and a 45deg clear elbow. Then the fun began, of trying to wrestle the stupid 45deg elbow into the sewer hose. OMFG... there HAS to be an easier way to do this lol. Took me 30 mins of wrestling, pulling, tugging, pushing, twisting, but finally got the danged thing in and clamped.

Hooked it up to the tank valve, and went to pull it into the basement, and wtf... I'm just barely 1/2 way there!!! So I figure, well, it must stretch to 30', afterall, it IS a 10' + 20' pipe I bought... so I start pulling and strecthing, and then the stupid hose at the 45 starts coming apart @#$!%#$

Roll it all back up, clip off the part that unraveled, and another 30 mins of wrestling to get the 45 installed again. *sigh*. Guess tomorrow I'll run out and buy another 20' to be able to reach 25'.

Well, if anything, hopefully my rant provides a little entertainment I'm sure all you seasoned veterans have a method to get all this done without so much headache lol.
----------------------------------------
DageonYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #2

What brand and quality of hose you purchase matters a lot when doing this. I have found the old saying "you get what you paid for" applies here very well. And, I don't know about you, but that is probably the one thing that I REALLY don't want all over me or my hands or clothes! Get the good stuff!! You won't regret it later. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #3

I get the best sewer hose I can get. I never found the hoses to stretch to the length they say they are. I have 3 10 foot sections that will go to 25 feet...on a warm day. I don't want to stress the hoses. I would rather buy more hose than have 50 gallons of sewage on the ground. I also change my hoses at least every other year.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote