Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

Shake down trip with 2021 290RL

We picked up the Salem Hemisphere 290RL on Thursday afternoon. PDI went well with only minor issues that they took care of right away (bought from Couch's RV). The biggest issue was one of the rims didn't match the other three. How that got past QA is a mystery, but the RV tech said it isn't the first time it's happened.

Got it home and started loading it up. Also had to test the water system because they said we couldn't test it at the dealer due to COVID. That seemed silly, but ok. The hot water heater didn't work on electric. They forgot to plug it in at the factory and the plug is behind the fill station and not easily accessible, so not surprised Couch's didn't notice it. Then the cold water supply hose to the washing machine burst on city water (62 psi). I was right there when it happened so was able to minimize the water in the trailer. I cut the line and just plugged it. Glad it didn't happen at the campsite.

No other issues at the campsite other than my wife and grown daughter forgot how to conserve water so we went through 57 gallons of fresh water in 1 day.

I've been towing bumper pull trailers for 40 years and pulling a 5er is so much nicer. But backing it is a whole different ball game. I can get a 35' bumper pull into my driveway without driving on the grass, but so far the 5er is not cooperating. Will have to do some practicing.

The 2500HD 6.0 pulled great and the Andersen Ultimate was perfect with the short bed. I installed a Furrion rear observation camera and L&R cameras as well. They work great and it's really helpful being able to see both sides of the trailer while backing into a camping spot.

That's all for now.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
We picked up the Salem Hemisphere 290RL on Thursday afternoon. PDI went well with only minor issues that they took care of right away (bought from Couch's RV). The biggest issue was one of the rims didn't match the other three. How that got past QA is a mystery, but the RV tech said it isn't the first time it's happened.

Got it home and started loading it up. Also had to test the water system because they said we couldn't test it at the dealer due to COVID. That seemed silly, but ok. The hot water heater didn't work on electric. They forgot to plug it in at the factory and the plug is behind the fill station and not easily accessible, so not surprised Couch's didn't notice it. Then the cold water supply hose to the washing machine burst on city water (62 psi). I was right there when it happened so was able to minimize the water in the trailer. I cut the line and just plugged it. Glad it didn't happen at the campsite.

No other issues at the campsite other than my wife and grown daughter forgot how to conserve water so we went through 57 gallons of fresh water in 1 day.

I've been towing bumper pull trailers for 40 years and pulling a 5er is so much nicer. But backing it is a whole different ball game. I can get a 35' bumper pull into my driveway without driving on the grass, but so far the 5er is not cooperating. Will have to do some practicing.

The 2500HD 6.0 pulled great and the Andersen Ultimate was perfect with the short bed. I installed a Furrion rear observation camera and L&R cameras as well. They work great and it's really helpful being able to see both sides of the trailer while backing into a camping spot.

That's all for now.

We too recently purchased a 290RL from Couch’s RV Nation. I installed the Furrion camera on the rear but they told me the side cameras would not work due to the obstruction of the side awnings. Biggest problem we just discovered is the fiberglass spider cracking above the window on the front cap up to the roof line. You can only really see it from a 10-12ft ladder. Have an appointment to get a repair estimate.
Linebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linebarger View Post
We too recently purchased a 290RL from Couch’s RV Nation. I installed the Furrion camera on the rear but they told me the side cameras would not work due to the obstruction of the side awnings. Biggest problem we just discovered is the fiberglass spider cracking above the window on the front cap up to the roof line. You can only really see it from a 10-12ft ladder. Have an appointment to get a repair estimate.
The driver's side Furion camera is unobstructed. I put a 1/4" spacer behind the one on the passenger side and it sees past the awning rail just fine. I rarely look at the side cameras anymore because my truck mirrors work great, but it is nice to have the side cameras for blind side turns.

I am still waiting for a matching set of wheels. Not Couch's fault. FR sent one and it didn't match. Then FR said they didn't make that wheel anymore. Now we are waiting for 3 new ones that will match the one I have now.

Overall, no further issues. Fantastic lay out. Are you near Cincy or just picked up the trailer here?
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip on installing a spacer for the passenger side camera. We live on the south west coast of Florida. Drove up to Couch’s RV nation to take delivery, 1000+ miles. Spent 5+ hours on PDI. Drove back to Florida with the beast attached to a Ford F-350 diesel. We have gone on two trips to Florida State Parks to learn the rig and make improvements. So far so good. Heading to Florida east coast to observe the Spacex Falcon rocket with 4 astronauts launch on 22 April, if all goes as scheduled.
Linebarger is offline   Reply With Quote