Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Well, as a semi driver myself, let me strap 14K of trailer onto your ride, with 46K in the trailer and letís see if you slow any going up hill and speed back up going down hill.

You can always stay behind the semi going up the next hill and not pass them, then after capping the hill they will open the gap between you and them on the down side. Quit the leap frogging.
Now if you will just relay your message to your fellow semi drivers
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Now if you will just relay your message to your fellow semi drivers
What? That RV pullers who are going to run slower than semis should stay behind on a hill pull even if the semi slows and then allow the semi to increase the gap on the next down hill so the RV is not playing leapfrog games with the truck? They already know that.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #23

Ex truck driver responding

The rig has gained as much speed as he could now the hill is slowing him down, I suggest you just maintain your speed and he will fall in behind you and you will just pull away. as for going down hill just stay in your right lane maintain your speed he will go around you. by doing what you are doing it's not helping.

Just stay out of the way.
jgiarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #24
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Well, as a semi driver myself, let me strap 14K of trailer onto your ride, with 46K in the trailer and letís see if you slow any going up hill and speed back up going down hill.

You can always stay behind the semi going up the next hill and not pass them, then after capping the hill they will open the gap between you and them on the down side. Quit the leap frogging.
Exactly
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #25

I agree with Fletch77. Sounds like he is a professional big rig driver. We need more Fletch77's out there! Unfortunately there are less and less of professionals out there.
farmallm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #26

I tow a 3500 lb TT with my 3.5 EcoBoost. I drive 60 to 65 mph and stay in my lane. On really long steep hills I will go past larger units, get in front of them and then let them pass on the downhills. It usually only happens once and then they are gone. I am not slowing down to 40 mph on the uphills to avoid passing.
For the record, I rarely drive on the interstate. 2 lane state and US roads are my preference.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I am not slowing down to 40 mph on the uphills to avoid passing.
I agree with this and am not sure why there is a suggestion to do otherwise. If I can maintain speed up and down, and a big rig cannot, what is wrong with a couple leapfrogs if no one got blocked or had to touch their brakes? I don't think it's proper to start long queues in the driving or passing lane if it can be helped. Intentionally camping behind a slow rig up hill seems like the start of an unneccessary queue.

Looking to understand different perspectives, not argue.

In the original example, it really sounds like the rig was trying to get behind the rv, not in front, at least the way I envisioned it. If that's a correct interpretation, then maintaining speed is the right choice, in my opinion.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:56 PM   #28

Maybe in all this someone can teach people how to merge onto the expressway. Going 20 under, making me move over, then passing me is NOT proper. Match my speed dangit!
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Maybe in all this someone can teach people how to merge onto the expressway. Going 20 under, making me move over, then passing me is NOT proper. Match my speed dangit!
I know what you mean. I just maintain my speed and let them decide when to pull in. You canít try to out guess them...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #30

What ticks me off??? Drivers that pass me going up or down the hill and pull in front and slow down so I cannot get a run for the next grade/hill!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #31

As a professional driver (25 years). I would say the biggest factor here is not what is right or wrong but what is common sense and courtesy. Driving my class A if a semi picks up speed goes into the left and then slows down and signals to go into right lane I let him in, usually followed by a courtesy check from him. If the hill is short I will tuck in behind him and wait it out, saving gas while doing so, then when the hill is crested the semi is long gone. On other occasions you just need to pay attention and see if the semi is a faster than you or same speed. Determining his overall speed in relation to yours tells you whether to adjust your speed slower or faster. Long story short, pay attention to your surroundings, it’s called situational awareness.

As for the trucker and same goes for some of us RVers , picking up speed and getting into the left lane to “take a run at the hill” is a fools game. It does not take long for a truck to find the gear that he will pull the hill in and at the end of the day little is gained by running the hills.

Another scenario would be if a road opened up from single to passing lane and a truck lagged back and then picked up speed and got into left lane, passed you and then slowed down on the hill, now he is beside you and wants into right lane. Let him in. He was behind you in the first place because he is going faster than you.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #32
Always Learning

I've had this happen a few times. I'd likely slow down and let him in front of me and then would pass when it seemed appropriate.

If it happened again on the next hill, I'd try and adjust my speed to avoid it from repeating over and over. Speed up a little so there isn't a need to pass or slow down a bit so that he passes me sooner/before the next hill.

This was a fun one to think about it. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #33

I share same thought as big bird. These guys do this to make a living - I'm retired so I try to do my best to accomodate them. I eventually get to where I need to go
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
I share same thought as big bird. These guys do this to make a living - I'm retired so I try to do my best to accomodate them. I eventually get to where I need to go
I always cringe when I hear this whether it's about on the road or at a truck stop. Yep, they are working, but it doesn't give them any more privilege or rights than I have to use the road or truck stops. And it doesn't permit them to drive like jerks and expect me to accommodate them.
I will always be courteous when I can and try to act logically when interfacing with professional drivers. But they are like every other group of drivers, there are some that are good and some that are not. Some that are courteous and professional, and others that think they own the entire road. Just like RV drivers.
We travel I10 in NM/AZ frequently. A majority of the traffic is semis, usually in groups. I have seen a definite increase of bad behavior and driving habits in these pro drivers the past few years.
My wife and I have a new game. When we pass a semi that is all over the road, the passenger takes a look at the driver. It's amazing how many times we have seen them messing with electronics, eating, watching a movie, even reading books and magazines!
So I try and drive appropriately and stay away from packs of any kind of vehicles. All I can control is my own driving and attitude.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #35

While this discussion of 'who knows how to drive safest, or best' is tantalizing, or even argumentative, I'm really amazed that the very vast majority of RV and Semi drivers have the safe travels that we do - most of us have traveled a lot in our lives, and have hardly EVER had an accident, been involved in someone else's accident, or have helped cause any accident.

So, while we can have differing opinions of what is 'right', it seems that we actually all already drive safely and with most respect to most others in most situations, though, in all fairness, EVERY situation is different.
I enjoy the banter about 'how' one handles the various lanes with ascending steep grades, as though one 'way' is better than the other, or the only 'right' way to do it, but every situation has differing elements, different speeds, different lengths, and semi's with varying load weights and power plants, just like us RVs. I can certainly agree that a semi passing you on the way up, early on, with a lot of momentum, is aggravating the next moment when they pull over in front of you, all while you are then gaining on their original speed while they are now 'slowing down' - yes, a little aggravating, but all part of the 'give and go' that happens while we are all maneuvering through the wilds of traffic. Some will do it with what might seem more 'etiquette', but others may seem to just 'get in your way' for no reason, or even 'just to tick you off!'... it's usually hardly that simple. Truckers are on a business trip. We RVs are usually on a 'vacation' trip. Now, maybe one is not necessarily more 'important' than the other, and no one should necessarily 'win' everytime, but maintaining consistent speed, and not changing lanes frequently, is more often the 'better' overall pattern for most all of us to adhere to. Most of us have good sense, good common sense, and know that the realities of driving are hardly ever 'exact'. As the environment changes, we adapt. As vehicles merge, we adapt. As vehicles slow in front of us, we adapt. We're not all going to drive the same speed, though that's a nice notion. It's not practical, though. The ebs and flows of traffic will always be different.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #36
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
I have a question about RV driving etiquette sharing the road with big rigs. Driving through NM there are many long uphill grades. I set my cruise control at 65 and it pretty much holds this speed. Driving in the right lane, a big rig will start to pass me and while going up a hill, they will start to lose speed. Sure enough, their blinker comes on when they are still beside me and Iíll slow down to let them in ahead of me. Now the problem.. the big rig has slowed down and all vehicles that have been waiting for the big rig to pass me are now passing me.
ASAP, I get in the passing lane and pass the big rig. Once weíve started going back down hill or on an even road, it starts all over again.
The big rig starts to pass me only to slow down on the next hill!!! DOH! This has happened many times!
What is proper here?
I try to avoid any confrontation or unsafe condition, period. We don't plan to travel too many miles a day, and plan our stops for breaks.

It seems that the traffic seems to run in bursts of lots of vehicles, and then there will be a break where you can pass and get clear. If I have to be patient with a trucker for a couple miles and let the hot rods go by, I will.

Often, I'll take a pull out or off ramp and back on just to keep away from the congestion.

There is no benefit in feeling compelled to run with them as you might if you were not towing.

Safe travels

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #37
The Driver

My answer for the OP's question of "what is proper here".

I have been traveling the same stretch of interstate for 30 years on my daily work commute. What has kept me out of trouble and alive is to maintain, as best I can, a large distance between other drivers. Whatever it takes.

I have applied this thinking when driving the class C. I can't very well speed up going uphill, so I will slow down if needed to maintain my cushion.

The proper thing to do is that which does not get you into trouble.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #38

Seriously, the big rigs are pros, right? Hold your lane and speed. It is up to them to figure it out and/or not be rude. You may think that slowing down and letting them in is being polite. What about the rest of the people behind them at that time and all the others along the many miles they drive. This is just like the newbie/rude trucker that tries to pass another rig but just can't and ends up blocking 2 lanes. This is not the first time this issue has come up. And, the response from seasoned truckers is as above.
BicycleMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Dealing with semis and RVs in hill country is just frustrating period. Doesn't matter what we are driving. Don't think there is a right or wrong way to deal with drivers going your same speed up a hill. I will speed up or down to avoid the clog when someone gets beside me on a hill and can't complete the pass. I don't trust the drivers to stay in their lane. I will flash my lights at them when they can pull in front of me. I try to be courteous to all traffic, but if one particular driver is bugging me, I will get away from them asap.
Patience wins the day.
Your advice is always worth it's weight in gold. Thanks.
GMC Sierra 2500
Scott V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:06 PM   #40

Quote:

Yup - I just stay behind the trucks and do what they do. If a truck in the left lane wants to get in my (right) lane - I'll flash him in even if I have to slow.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote