Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #21

There are commercial "Hotshot" truckers and companies who specialize in RV transport. They operate specialized trucks with the appropriate tow equipment for different type trailers. These guys know how it's done.

Google hot shot RV transport for starters and some clues how this works. These services routinely work thru brokers. I used a similar service when I moved and needed to have one of my cars moved down here. The "transport company" was really a broker and I paid a "fee" with the rest in cash to the driver. Closed "5th wheel" auto transport trailer he then went down to North Carolina to pick up furniture to take some place else. The guys with their own trailers are pretty flexible. RV transport (your trailer) will be different and possibly more expensive since they'll be dead heading if they can't find another RV -- their loads are very limited.

The brokers "bid" these loads on a per mile basis. Mine was $1/mile (in 2017).

-- Chuck
Old 02-23-2022, 08:19 PM   #22

Well its official, my new job will be in Cold Lake Alberta. Not so say that cost of shipping is not a concern, but my work will be picking up the cost to ship the RV to my new location. I'm certain there is a maximum amount they'll pay, but I will find out more in the coming weeks. Anyone with contact for companies that do this kind of thing would be great. Thanks everyone for the replies and assistance.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
DRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:18 PM   #23

Contact a dealer in Ottawa and ask him if a delivery driver dropping one of to them if they would pick yours up and deliver it to your new sight. The delivery driver could contact you and make a deal.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
... including his statement "Trailers are dime a dozen."?
Pretty flippant and uninformed thing to say on his part.
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 CCLB DRW Cummins HO 4:10s
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Towing on a flatbed can be done but it is not going to cheap. Here is one we did a couple of years ago and had it shipped overseas. It was the high light of the day. Big girl looked comfy on the trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BERK SHIP.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	269443  
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #26

Quote:
If the moving company will tow it behind a truck it would need a visit to to an RV dealer for grease job, tire inspection and overall inspection prior to a tow that far.
RV Dealer?! Trailer shops all over who can handle trailer maintenance like wheel bearings and tires.

Depending on height and weight this will fit easily on a 40' hot shot trailer (a common length). Getting it on and off is the other issue. No wear or tear on the trailer if it can be flat bedded. Gotta be lighter than that bus (above). Intuitively flat bedding may be easier to obtain as the driver can find a dozen loads out there every day but few if any specialized RV loads for his bare truck.

I agree the transport cost may make selling this trailer and buying another at your new location a better deal. The olde "maybe - maybe not" dilemma. Much of this depends on supply and demand at either location.

Outdoor RV storage seemed "everywhere" in Calgary when I visited two years ago.

-- Chuck
Old 03-01-2022, 02:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD47 View Post
Sun damage is the biggest issue for tires' age. Since you've been in climate-controlled storage the whole time the tires should be okay. I would yield to a tire expert on this.
It sounds like no one has been living in it for 3 years and you haven't gone camping in it for three years so I find myself aligning with those who say sell it. Prices today are really good from a seller's perspective. Sell it now for a lot more than you could have pre-covid, and don't buy another one in Alberta unless you actually plan to use it.
I agree to sell it best option,unless you are married to it.or find a reputable pulled who is insured an bonded.you may have to pay a dead head charge but it don't hurt to ask around.good luck
Dave Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:00 PM   #28

We paid $3,800 in Dec. 2020 to have our trailer delivered from Illinois to California, just over 2,000 miles. I hired USHIP 4Less who just puts your request out on a bidding site that transporters use to find jobs. Another transporter who was booked but familiar with my need saw it posted way below what we agreed to. I called them up and told them to up the price by the end of the day or I was going to cancel with them. By the end of the day a transporter took the job.

During delivery a piece of trim came off, which wasn't the driver's fault and Forrest River replaced it. One thing I would strongly suggest is making sure the driver speaks English. The guy I hired couldn't speak a lick of English, which made final delivery instructions very difficult. Lastly, all of these transporter expect to negotiate so don't be afraid to do so.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:27 PM   #29

5th wheels are too tall to put on trailer and must be towed. Wheel bearing grease has to be replaced but if easy lube just put grease in until fresh grease comes out. Brakes don't deteriorate but the metal can rust so definitely check those before even having a truck hauler pull it.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:22 PM   #30

Shipping day is getting closer, I had the 5th Wheel towed from the storage facility to my repair facility. They have replaced the tires including spare, replaced the wheel bearings, greased the shackle bolts, inspected the electrical system, tested the battery, inspected and adjusted the brakes, found an LP leak at both the fridge and HWT gas valves (replaced both), inspected the pop outs and completed a pressurized leak check on entire RV.

The Shipping company picks up my 5th on Aug 5th and will deliver it to Cold Lake Alberta about a week later.

Can't wait to inspect it and start camping again. My truck has already been delivered and is waiting for us to arrive at the new house.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:45 PM   #31

That’s awesome. Lots of great camping around you in Cold Lake!

Enjoy Alberta! No provincial tax on gasoline at the moment, no provincial sales tax.

Mosquitoes are pretty bad in Southern Alberta this year, I expect they’re as bad up there!
NeilM108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM108 View Post
That’s awesome. Lots of great camping around you in Cold Lake!

Enjoy Alberta! No provincial tax on gasoline at the moment, no provincial sales tax.

Mosquitoes are pretty bad in Southern Alberta this year, I expect they’re as bad up there!
If I remember correctly from my previous time in Alberta, YES the mosquitoes are bad. LOL

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel