Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Shopping for Camper

We are starting to shop for a retirement camper. We are looking at the Rockwood 1809s, the Flagstaff Microlite 18FBRS, and the Surveyor Sport Trailer SP-189. Other than color choices, is there any difference among the three campers?

Also, how well do these campers hold up? We are going to try to look for a used one. We are not in a rush as we don't need it for a few years.
Bink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

All are pretty small for much more than a weekend. Is that what you are looking for?
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bink View Post
We are starting to shop for a retirement camper. We are looking at the Rockwood 1809s, the Flagstaff Microlite 18FBRS, and the Surveyor Sport Trailer SP-189. Other than color choices, is there any difference among the three campers?

Also, how well do these campers hold up? We are going to try to look for a used one. We are not in a rush as we don't need it for a few years.
We have the Rockwood Minni Lite 1809S & love it - however we don't live in for long periods during the winter like we did when we have a 30.5 foot 5th wheel with two slides.

If interested you can look in mods & updates & see pictures of the inside mods I have done to ours Or PM me for more pictures. It will soon be 4 months since we got ours & there has only been two small items that if we had a dealer close by I would of had handle. Total cost to do both was $8.88 & a toothpick. A no brainer why I didn't drag it 150 miles to have the work done.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #4

Weekends and an occasional week would be the longest we would go. We are used to a truck camper with no room to move at all. Compared to our current camper, the 1809s looks roomy.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

Glad you like yours. That makes it sound promising. An occasional winter weekend is the most winter camping we'd do.

If I can figure out how to find your camper pix, I will look at them.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bink View Post
Glad you like yours. That makes it sound promising. An occasional winter weekend is the most winter camping we'd do.

If I can figure out how to find your camper pix, I will look at them.
Go to the mods & updates forum - then look for a posting by emptypockets

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #7

I found them. They look good. I think I'll sew something like that when we get our camper.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #8

I have the Surveyor Sport 186. Same as the 189 except a dinette in place of the couch and no slide. Just the wife and I so it is perfect for us. Had it just over a year now and are very happy with it. Some minor fixes but to be expected with any trailer. We also looked at the other models. I believe the Flagstaff and the Rockwood are the same camper just different names. The Surveyor is only 7 ft wide while I believe the other two are 8 ft wide. We decided on the Surveyor as I thought it was built a little better and liked the interior options more. The only gripe I have is the shower is a little small. Keep in mind I am 6'2" and 270, the wife has no issues. Hope that helps. As far as new and used the deals on new units are still very good. i was looking for used but found I could get a new one for just a few thousand more. Good Luck.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #9

Thanks. Your response answered a lot of my questions.

We thought the Surveyor may be a bit better, but I think any of the 3 would work for us.

The shower does look small, but I am small and my hubby isn't afraid of the public shower houses. He can squeeze into the camper shower when showers aren't available at the sites.