RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2021, 08:02 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 11
Shoulders to cry on

We do a lot of beach camping and I am constantly battling rust on the undercariage of our trailer. It is just a lot of work to treat it. Then there is the worry of leaks developing that I do not detect early. I had to spend months replacing a section of flooring in our previous tt and do not want to do that ever again. Then there is the worry of a tire blow out that will cause major damage. OK that is enough thanks for the opportunity to off load. We still love camping and I still love my camper we just completed a 2500 mile trip and the memories we made was priceless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1610502759330.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	246063  
Bollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,909
I would love to beach camp, and I know a lot of people do it with no problems. I am just so paranoid that I would do something stupid and get stuck and taken away by the ocean.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 11
We love it, just use common sense. I check the tide predictions and do not camp right on the high tide edge and give yourself a good margin of error. In the summer you will need a good generator to keep the temperature inside the camper livable. Everybody is running gennys so no one is bothering neighbors with noise and the sound of the waves drown out the noise in any case.
Bollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollie View Post
We love it, just use common sense. I check the tide predictions and do not camp right on the high tide edge and give yourself a good margin of error. In the summer you will need a good generator to keep the temperature inside the camper livable. Everybody is running gennys so no one is bothering neighbors with noise and the sound of the waves drown out the noise in any case.
I had to laugh about "Everybody running Generators",I see way more Fishermen and People laying on blankets that have NO Generators! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,087
I see this product on the cars shows I watch. Not sure of its effectiveness but could be worth the research to stop rust
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,188
Is that Texas? Anywhere else you go beech camping? I'd love to try it..
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 3,675
Glad you made it home safely and made great memories.
I'm assuming that you're camping on those hard sand Texas beaches and salt is definitely NOT your friend. You're smart to wash it off. One of the 'joys' of rving is crawling under the rig to check for gaps and praying that your tires don't blow up. I see you listed Beeville, TX as your home. Lots of beach camping within easy driving distance from home.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,918
For those that beach camp they might want to look at a product like this:

https://www.waxoyl-usa.com/?gclid=Cj...xoCopQQAvD_BwE

Can be applied by the owner with kits sold by company. Rather than the tar-like undercoating it's more of a penetrating product that dries into a thin film. Can also be sprayed into "nooks and crannies" where many undercoating products can't reach.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I had to laugh about "Everybody running Generators",I see way more Fishermen and People laying on blankets that have NO Generators! Youroo!!
Not much people on towels or fishing going on here just noisy partying all down the beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210116_125945.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	246082  
Bollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 66
Gross.
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:17 PM   #11
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
Gross.
???????????. How about identifying what is gross about beach camping.
__________________
2018 Forester 3051S (aka Clyde)
2015 Wrangler Toad (aka Bonnie)

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:56 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 689
Any good places to beach camp on the gulf side of Florida? I'm looking to make a run down there in February.
__________________
2019 Silverado LTZ 1500 6.2L 3.42 Max Trailering Package
2018 Freedom Express 192RBS
2016 Silverado LTZ 1500 5.3L 3.42
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:52 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
Gross.
Correct it can become very gross and expensive if common sense is left at home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1591544408647.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	246101  
Bollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollie View Post
Correct it can become very gross and expensive if common sense is left at home
When I drive out on our ocean beaches I pay attention to the line of seaweed, driftwood, and garbage, left by high tides. If I plan on parking on the beach for a day or two I park well above this line (if I can that is).

This picture shows a clear case of failure to know your surroundings and not thinking ahead.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #15
Member
 
NancyJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: NoVA
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
Gross.
What's gross about beach camping??
__________________
2021 Wolf Pup 16BHS
2020 Ford F150 Supercrew 3.5 EcoBoost
NancyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #16
Member
 
NancyJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: NoVA
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Is that Texas? Anywhere else you go beech camping? I'd love to try it..
Not sure where you are, but my ex-husband goes beach camping on Cape Cod.
__________________
2021 Wolf Pup 16BHS
2020 Ford F150 Supercrew 3.5 EcoBoost
NancyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #17
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 3,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When I drive out on our ocean beaches I pay attention to the line of seaweed, driftwood, and garbage, left by high tides. If I plan on parking on the beach for a day or two I park well above this line (if I can that is).

This picture shows a clear case of failure to know your surroundings and not thinking ahead.
X2. Here in Alaska you need to have your wits about you when you beach camp (Kenai Pennisula). You not only have be aware of tides, you have to be careful with campfires. Often times there are layers of coal beneath the sand. If you campfire burns hot enough to ignite the coal you'll wind up with a beach fire. If you've never seen a beach fire it is a sight to behold. The only thing that can put the fire out is high tide.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Life Without Whine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tampa Bay area
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Any good places to beach camp on the gulf side of Florida? I'm looking to make a run down there in February.



:roflb lack:: roflblack:
As a Florida resident the joy of camping anywhere decent here in February without prior reservations ????? Have you heard the term 'snowbird'????


In actuality there is no actual beach camping anywhere here in FL unless is is in a $$$$ campground or you get super lucky and land the right state park site.


If you have not got reservations here for next month you may want to start working on that plan ...
__________________
Terri + Joe + BrewDog Boont
Camping a long weekend every month since starting in May of 2013 in order to practice for retirement .... Florida is a great state to have this bad habit
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2. Here in Alaska you need to have your wits about you when you beach camp (Kenai Pennisula). You not only have be aware of tides, you have to be careful with campfires. Often times there are layers of coal beneath the sand. If you campfire burns hot enough to ignite the coal you'll wind up with a beach fire. If you've never seen a beach fire it is a sight to behold. The only thing that can put the fire out is high tide.
I remember seeing signs about beach fires and coal on the Homer Spit.

I also remember tides running over 20 feet from low to high, not counting wind or storm tides.

Compare that with a 3-4 foot tidal swing in Florida.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:43 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Major Oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollie View Post
We do a lot of beach camping and I am constantly battling rust on the undercariage of our trailer. It is just a lot of work to treat it. Then there is the worry of leaks developing that I do not detect early. I had to spend months replacing a section of flooring in our previous tt and do not want to do that ever again. Then there is the worry of a tire blow out that will cause major damage. OK that is enough thanks for the opportunity to off load. We still love camping and I still love my camper we just completed a 2500 mile trip and the memories we made was priceless.

Too late now........


But, when you get a new one, take it to a "truck place" that does spray-in bedliners (Rhino, etc) and have them do a BIG TIME undercoat.


QED
__________________
2014 King Ranch Ecoboost Screw, 3.73.....2019 Palamino 27RLSS (customized)
Retired AF Mustang.....Picker always looking to jam.
Major Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.