Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Shower floor flex

Greetings. I'm about to purchase my first RV. I've been in a lot of them and I've decided on either the Rockwood 2109S or Flagstaff 21FBRS. I've never seen on in person but hope to soon. I noticed in a number of units the shower floor flexes when I stand it in. I'm not small (265 lbs) but it worries me. I have seen posts on other forums where owners have reinforced under the shower floor because the flex caused leaks, either in the drain or at the seam. Anyone have experiences to relate?
MarkPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #2

The showers in those units will be a lite weight plastic. Depending on the design, there may be a screw in access under the shower that might allow you to insert some wood to act as a floor support. The drain area will be prone to leak with too much flexing leading to tub failure.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5680.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	209608
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #3

That access point under the shower, you can open and use dense foam like I did to support the shower pan. I didn't glue in place in case repairs have to be made. Also under mine is water lines and wiring.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Ours has a rectangular access port. I added sections of 2X6 with shims. Added a little slow cure wood glue between sections so that one in they would stay. No flex at all.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #5

No More Bounce

Had a little bit of bounce in my shower too. Had some leftover insulation from the pass thru job. Four pieces taped in place did the trick. Small enough to fit through the access cover. Taped in place with foil tape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Support (1).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	281716

Name:	Shower Support (2).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	281717
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:22 PM   #6

We just traded our 2021, 21fbrs in on a bigger unit. I am not small and a bit heavier than you and did notice the soft floor in the shower, however it never gave me any problems. I wish I had seen the post showing how to put foam under it but I’m really not sure the styrofoam would be firm enough. I would try it first and keep an eye on it. BTW that’s a magnificent unit
RedfishTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:45 AM   #7

Thanks, I like the camper. A newbie since May.
So far the styrofoam is holding up well, probably did it in June and have been taking daily showers in it.

Actually just put the tape on a couple of days ago after reading this post but the pieces had remained in place since then. There was not much flex originally but just enough to be noticeable.

Not one to throw away things that may be used later. Used some left over insulation to keep things in place in cabinets. Tall enough to catch bottom lip and the top cross piece.

Wasn't sure on the plastic piece the catches the television for travel so I backed it up. Did not want the bungee cord rubbing the screen.

Light and can be thrown behind the recliners.

In the second picture I have a little fan there to blow the heat down to the floor. Got into the teens a couple of nights and just trying to figure out the best way to get uniform heat. Heat from the fireplace shuts it off a bit to soon and the heat also from it creeps around and warms the thermostat up. Back up to warmer temps today though. Can keep my water drains capped again.

Name:	Cabinet Retainer (2).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	281788

Name:	Television Protector.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	281789
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote