Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well done site team. Keeps a lot pf peace in the family. Now if I could just find the roster bar Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:07 AM   #22
Site Team

It's here
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #23

I can see closing a thread occasionally, but I think that sometimes some people are too thin skinned and get a case of the twisted panties too quick.
I am not faulting the site team for anything because we are all supposed to be adults here. There shouldn't be a need for "hot topics".
If you can't discuss things civilly then the offender(s) should be removed as opposed to shutting an entire thread where the majority was having a civil discussion. JMO
Old 06-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
I just put this here for a little while.Attachment 142126

That is funny right there...

Funny, because of its accuracy. Something Fiat owners will fail to understand! [emoji846]
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
I just put this here for a little while.Attachment 142126
I'll take that tractor over any Ford, Chevy or Dodge!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
I can see closing a thread occasionally, but I think that sometimes some people are too thin skinned and get a case of the twisted panties too quick.
I am not faulting the site team for anything because we are all supposed to be adults here. There shouldn't be a need for "hot topics".
If you can't discuss things civilly then the offender(s) should be removed as opposed to shutting an entire thread where the majority was having a civil discussion. JMO
It's a matter of perspective - ABC thinks WYZ is being thin skinned, and XYZ thinks ABC is being insulting. Who's right? That's part of the unenviable job the site team has to do.

And yes, we are all adults... but in my experience there's a certain anonymity in the internet - a sense of insulation that removes some of the filters we use is person-to-person conversation.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
but in my experience there's a certain anonymity in the internet - a sense of insulation that removes some of the filters we use is person-to-person conversation.
EXACTLY!!! That is why the very first guideline states something to that effect.

Be Courteous! Our philosophy is that we want The Forest River Forums to be an online reflection of the RV'ing community. Treat each other with respect just as you would around a campfire.

People also get caught up in "heat of the moment" things too. A button may have got pushed (we all have those), other stresses in life caused a mood to spill over into the forums, etc. Sometimes it's just a one and done thing....other times it's not. It will not only engulf a thread, but spill over into other threads, setting them on fire too. Vent threads, based on years of experience, have a lot of potential for this. Other topics including religion, politics, & guns historically speaking also bring out a lot of "heat of the moment" postings. This is why they are specifically barred.

Nobody is saying these topics or the members are right or wrong... they are just simply too divisive. They cause unnecessary strife in a forum that is RV/camping oriented and RV/camping is the reason everyone reading this joined. There are plenty of religious, political, chevrododforyota tow vehicle, & gun forums all over the internet where people can discuss to their hearts content the aforementioned. Once things heat up there, you can always come back to your friendly Forest River Forum and interact with your camping friends...who stayed your friends because of the site guidelines we have.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #28
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Treat each other with respect just as you would around a campfire.
I have always done that, and you have still smacked me down a couple of times.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Treat each other with respect just as you would around a campfire.
When its the guys on a hunting/fishing trip, we drink beer, tell lies and insult each other around the campfire. Glad to know I can now do that here!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
When its the guys on a hunting/fishing trip, we drink beer, tell lies and insult each other around the campfire. Glad to know I can now do that here!
But it's not just the guys, we have lots of female members (including 3 of your site team). We were discussing just how many registrants/new members to our forums are females not too long ago. They are rapidly becoming a very large and welcome demographic to the RV world.

Since our campfire is huge, and constantly has new friends walking up to it..the first thing they DON'T need to hear is possibly drunken/lying/insulting conversations. We want them to be able to easily join in the conversation, and not be repulsed by it. First impressions are important.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
We really try to be as "hands-off" as we can. Sometimes threads can go off tangent and then self-correct. Other times they will die off naturally after everyone has had their say.

A lot of the time we will to remove individual posts and allow the discussion to continue if we feel it's worthwhile.

But once in a while a thread will spiral out of control and it's simply not worth our volunteered time and effort to clean it up when we know from past experience that it will simply get out of control again.

Sometimes it is a case of a few bad apples ruining the rest of the barrel but overall, those occurrences are few and far between. We have over 90,000 members making 100s if not 1,000s of posts everyday. It's really a pretty small percentage that we have to worry about.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #32

This is an RV forum. If I wanted to read political or religious post there are lots of forums for that. It has nothing to do with being thinned skined. I don't want to read political post by ignorant people. I don't want to read religious post by norrow minded people. There is a place for those type of post and it is not on an RV forum.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Quote:
But it's not just the guys, we have lots of female members (including 3 of your site team). We were discussing just how many registrants/new members to our forums are females not too long ago. They are rapidly becoming a very large and welcome demographic to the RV world.

Since our campfire is huge, and constantly has new friends walking up to it..the first thing they DON'T need to hear is possibly drunken/lying/insulting conversations. We want them to be able to easily join in the conversation, and not be repulsed by it. First impressions are important.
It was a joke. Guess I should've added a bunch of .
Old 06-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #34

Quote:
It was a joke. Guess I should've added a bunch of .
But you could offer the ladies a beer when they walk up.

Seriously, I like the site team's viewpoint on all this, now that I've been enlightened on it.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
This is an RV forum. If I wanted to read political or religious post there are lots of forums for that. It has nothing to do with being thinned skined. I don't want to read political post by ignorant people. I don't want to read religious post by norrow minded people. There is a place for those type of post and it is not on an RV forum.
I hate to assume, but since I was the one who used the term "thin skinned" I will assume you are referring to my post in which I never mentioned politics or religion. There have been threads about tow vehicles, bike racks on bumpers or any other RV related item that one or two people go off track and start referring to others as ignorant or narrow minded.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We really try to be as "hands-off" as we can. Sometimes threads can go off tangent and then self-correct. Other times they will die off naturally after everyone has had their say.

A lot of the time we will to remove individual posts and allow the discussion to continue if we feel it's worthwhile.

But once in a while a thread will spiral out of control and it's simply not worth our volunteered time and effort to clean it up when we know from past experience that it will simply get out of control again.

Sometimes it is a case of a few bad apples ruining the rest of the barrel but overall, those occurrences are few and far between. We have over 90,000 members making 100s if not 1,000s of posts everyday. It's really a pretty small percentage that we have to worry about.
This is the best explanation I've seen yet. And Wow.....90,000. Powerful.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We really try to be as "hands-off" as we can. Sometimes it is a case of a few bad apples ruining the rest of the barrel
Don't you have the option to send those few bad apples to the cornfield for a while to let them ponder their life choices?

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #38

When I was young... all the adults(parents) of us said they did not understand how we were all still friends because of how we talked to each other. I mean BAD! Funny thing is we pretty much still do given the opportunity.

I have seen people be "snappy" when they didn't have to. I have seen people that didn't understand the post and think it was snappy. I have had people be snappy with me when I thought it was unjustified.

One more thing that might be taken wrong. People from the north are different than people from the south to "generalize". I have worked with "yankees" and they don't always butter coat stuff so it can come out as hateful when it isn't intended to be. It can simply be the normal for them and not meant as snappy. I just think some people are dry and some aren't(take 3 sentences to say something that a few words would answer). This could also be amplified because it is type and not in person. Sorry to ramble.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKirkham View Post
Don't you have the option to send those few bad apples to the cornfield for a while to let them ponder their life choices?
We do and have done so in the past, although we always try to give plenty of warning beforehand. We give many 2nd and 3rd chances.

Sometimes we'll give them the benefit of the doubt if someone is just having a bad day or if something simply came out wrong or different than it was intended.

It's not something that we take lightly or really enjoy doing.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #40
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
You may want to read these two threads to understand why the site team closed a thread.

why can't we discuss it

why threads are shut down
Ok - I will later.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg, tire, tires