Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #1

Exclamation Slide closed, I see light at the bottom corners!

We have had a camper for 5 years without slides, but we just bought a 2018 Salem with 2 slides- when both slides are closed, we can see light in the Bottom corners. Called the dealer and they said this is "normal". I do not believe them as I feel like water will splash up while driving in the rain, and not to mention it is an open door for Mice to enter. What can be done to eliminate this light? Is it an adjustment issue, or perhaps the seal wasn't installed properly?
Side note, the rest of the way around is tight.
Thank you for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	155807  
joyfulcamper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

IMO there are sealing materials missing...at the very least the wiper seals are too short/missing/loose or something. I hate to say it, but your own investigation is prolly gonna be your best solution...and of course asking here.

My old unit had an outdoor kitchen(which I miss) and when the door was open there were all kinds of holes in that area to the bunk house. The slides on both units I never noticed any light intrusion around the closed slides.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
2012 Solera

Got the same story on our Solera slideout back in 2012. Gave up, went to Ace hardware, bought some 3/4 inch thick black foam weather stripping, added to vehicle side along bottom edge of slide closed position. Solved.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #4

I have owned three travel trailers with slides: 2000 Fleetwood Wilderness, 2015 Keystone Hideout, and currently a 2018 Rockwood (2 slides).

I have never seen a gap that large in any of the four slide units in my limited experience.

There should be some type of compressible rubber or foam strip all around the opening that squeezes when the slide hits the wall.

Sounds like JLeising has the right idea. You probably have more of an apathetic dealer problem than a seal problem right now. Even if you took it back, probably wouldn't get fixed to standard anyway. Just as soon do it yourself and fix it.
DABoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #5

Go back to the dealer, walk around his lot looking at other trailers. You will find in all instances that each slide has a corner block/seal installed. They are screwed to the floor and the slide comes in against them to create a seal.
Take the service manager out and show him what is missing on yours. If yours is normal he needs to remove those on all other trailers on his lot!
Your dealer sounds like the one I bought my Flagstaff from. Uninformed at best, a terrible liar at worst.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #6

I have the same issue with my 2016 Cedar Creek Silverback I recently purchased as a second owner. I just noticed the open space at the corners of the two main slides while winterizing. I spent a couple of hours trying different types of products to try and seal the openings, styrofoam, weatherstripping, insulation, and chunks of "swim foam" and nothing stays put when attached with adhesives nor do they completely seal the hole. Like others here, I am starting to think there is something missing from all four corners. Next stop a dealer or two and see what they have on other units and a RV repair shop and see what they recommend.
Any suggestions here are welcome.
ionasilverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:10 AM   #7

Great advice, thank you!
joyfulcamper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #8

I've noticed this too when putting the TT away for the year. I think the 3 posters with the DIY approach are probably going to get it fixed as I did. I ended up using expanded polyurethane foam blocks and contact cement as an insert on that corner piece screwed into the floor. You could damn near fit 3 fingers or a healthy mouse in the gap. We'll see if everything's still in place by next fall
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #9

Triple Seal?

JoyfulCamper,

I made a quick view of the Salem section of Forest River's website.
In the Construction section of the Features listing, FR boasts of "triple seal" slideouts.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=161&Image=5062&ShowParent=1

I would test my dealer, if I were you, and ask him/her to describe this feature. It looks like they forgot to install seal 1, 2, and 3 on your unit.
DABoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #10

Y'all need slide seals.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #11

Thanks, i will check that out. JoyfulCamper may find help at the dealer where as with my issue as a second owner factory/dealer help is not an option, all repair work falls on the owner which is not a problem since I enjoy working on my rvs. However it would be noble if the manufacturers would step up to the plate on the times that these manufacturing "oversights" are discovered and help correct them.
ionasilverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #12

Our corner units were there, they were just stuck in the out position. Had to pull on them to get them to seat right. Lasted 2 or 3 times going in and out, then had to manually move them again.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionasilverback View Post
I have the same issue with my 2016 Cedar Creek Silverback I recently purchased as a second owner. I just noticed the open space at the corners of the two main slides while winterizing. I spent a couple of hours trying different types of products to try and seal the openings, styrofoam, weatherstripping, insulation, and chunks of "swim foam" and nothing stays put when attached with adhesives nor do they completely seal the hole. Like others here, I am starting to think there is something missing from all four corners. Next stop a dealer or two and see what they have on other units and a RV repair shop and see what they recommend.
Any suggestions here are welcome.
Our CC29RE slides are tight all around....Slide bottoms are adjusted to hit first then tip slightly and the top pulls in and seals
I have NEVER seen any RV with slides having a gap like this...An easy out for your dealer!!!! Understand slide adjustments can be a PITA!!!!

Check other dealers that have your model!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #14
WaitnToRide

2012 Surveyor 5th wheel

I noticed a similar issue with our main slide one day when the sun was low and reflecting off of the inside of the tin skirting. Took it to the dealer and they shot extra sealant into the gap. Needless to say that didn't last long. The dealer called FR and found out it was a known issue. FR sent aluminum angle iron the length of the main slide and some larger screws. The dealer followed FR's instructions and mounted the angle on the floor at the edge where the wall should be then with the help of a few workers screwed the angle to the wall. The wall was pulled tight to the floor. They shot a bunch of sealant along all of the seams. We haven't had a problem since.
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #15

I used a swim noodle cut in half down the middle and caulked them in place. Both held firm and one side appears to be water proof. Another item I'll try is a garage door seal strip.
dsiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #16
WaitnToRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windspell View Post
I noticed a similar issue with our main slide one day when the sun was low and reflecting off of the inside of the tin skirting. Took it to the dealer and they shot extra sealant into the gap. Needless to say that didn't last long. The dealer called FR and found out it was a known issue. FR sent aluminum angle iron the length of the main slide and some larger screws. The dealer followed FR's instructions and mounted the angle on the floor at the edge where the wall should be then with the help of a few workers screwed the angle to the wall. The wall was pulled tight to the floor. They shot a bunch of sealant along all of the seams. We haven't had a problem since.
I failed to mention the angle iron was outside under the floor.
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, slide