Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Chris and Sara

slide open when not in use??

For those of you who park at your house, do you leave your slide open or closed when not in use?? I have mine open right now, just to get some air moving through it, so we can stand to stay in it whe nwe go to the Smokies in a month, still trying to outgas it!!

2004 F-150 with Tow Package
2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

renegaderailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #2

As ours is stored inside our garage we usually keep 2 of the 3 slides open; the bedroom and main slides so that we can get access to all of our cabinets for loading and cleaning. If I need the extra room to work in the garage or get to something on my shelves then I close them up.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #3

I generally leave mine closed,but i store outside during camping season .Just makes it easier to get around closed up but i dont see any reason why you shouldnt leave it open if you want to. Well 1 point,Do you have a slide topper ? if not then you may collect some debris on it if it is left open all the time
Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Chris and Sara

no, the slide topper is one thing I didn't get yet!! I will have to keep an eye on it. Is there any thing that you do to your seals to keep them pliable, or are they ok just leaving them alone.

2004 F-150 with Tow Package
2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

renegaderailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegaderailfan View Post
no, the slide topper is one thing I didn't get yet!! I will have to keep an eye on it. Is there any thing that you do to your seals to keep them pliable, or are they ok just leaving them alone.
Well, for us, our rig isn't even a year old yet so I haven't done anything with them yet. However using a cleaner/conditioner made for the seals is probably a really good idea. Good point on the slide topper too, I wouldn't tend to leave the slides open if the rig is kept outside and you don't have the toppers.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #6

i use the the seal conditoner they sell at any rv supply store it keeps them from getting sticky and keep them from drying out well worth the time and money
Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We leave ours open unless there's rain in the forecast. We'll close the large slide-out because water tends to gather on that topper since it's so wide and deep. I asked the dealership about possibly it being loose but they instructed me that it as taunt as it can be and function without effecting the slide-out. The two smaller slide-outs have no problem with water gathering. However, our two slide-outs in the back when closed don't allow access to the rear bathroom, unless you crawl over the bed.
As for treating the seals I use the two products sold at Camping World about twice a season.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ditioner/21224

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Ours is open unless it's being towed down the road. Has been that way since '06 when we bought it. It was even that way at the dealers before that. Never had a problem.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
09 Wildcat QBBS 5'R 07 DX

I have owned a couple and I have always left them open. I just sweep off the tops before I slide um in if they have been out for awhile, this keeps the lil critters from getting a free ride into the interior. Gotta luv the Hydralic system!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #10

Our camper sits on some property we own. I always close the slides up. I don't know why. Just seems like if I am not going to be there for a week or two I should close them up. Does everyone put something on the guides? I have owned the camper for about 2 years and really have put nothing on the slides or gaskets. Maybe I should.