Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #1

Slide Out Driveshaft Broke

Pulled into camp site after a long mountain drive in the Colorado Rockies and when I went to extend my slide out only one side extended.

Found that the driveshaft that connects electric motor to opposite rail had snapped in half, yep that will do it. I was fortunate that my buddy was with me and we were able to manually pull out slide while the rail with motor extended. Trip salvaged!

Ordered replacement driveshaft assembly from Lippert, hopefully there is no additional damage. I don’t think it was installed properly by Forest River at factory. Get new part tomorrow, let’s hope that was the trick.

Note I wanted to share is to inspect your Drive shaft bolts. They are supposed to be torqued to 14 ft-lbs. When I went to uninstall broken shaft I recall the bolt on one side was loose which may have caused the instability in shaft causing it to break.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8DFAA8A5-2658-4985-8A72-F42BF51D8DC5.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	231599   Click image for larger version

Name:	D3973449-8A0A-48B6-8C6D-9B330709ABF6.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	231600  
CrazyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags