Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
Jayhawker

Slide out nearly misses cabinet pull

Noticed that there is not much clearance (when the slide out is retracted) between the slide out and upper cabinet pull. Maybe 1/32". Concerned some day it will hit the pull and tear something up. 2018 Surveyor 243RBS Any body lost a cabinet or pull yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	195672  
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #2

Yep. My experience is that slides do move occasionally and need to be adjusted. I had one large hydraulic slide that the outside trim came within an inch from the side wall. It moved and got close enough to the wall to break the cover off of an electric plug box (the slide trim caught it just right). I was amazed it didn't pull the whole box out of the wall. Had the slide adjusted and now it has remained about an inch and a half from the wall.

Have some friends with a large schwintek slide that always has problems and will start coming in or going out unevenly. They have replaced their cabinet door twice and the whole cabinet once. They will be replacing their whole RV as soon as they can, for one without schwintek slides

I would either replace that pull with a different type, or at least see what a tech says about adjusting the slide. I agree with you, it looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Have some friends with a large schwintek slide that always has problems and will start coming in or going out unevenly. They have replaced their cabinet door twice and the whole cabinet once. They will be replacing their whole RV as soon as they can, for one without schwintek slides
Good freaking luck. I wanted to get away from them, too. Everything I looked at and liked had at least 1 Schwintek slideout.

Quote:
I would either replace that pull with a different type, or at least see what a tech says about adjusting the slide. I agree with you, it looks like an accident waiting to happen.
I agree. I'd either be removing that handle each time or replacing it with something else. That's definitely going to get ripped off of the frame at some point.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Yeah, that's Waaaaay too close for comfort!

Does the slide room look to be centered in the opening?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree... a little too close for comfort.

We had a SOB unit with something similar.
I drilled holes in the cabinet door the same size as the standoffs on the handle and then put washers on the back with the screw. This allowed the handle to 'push into the door' so it was flush but pulled out when needed for clearance. This of course requires that the mounting of the handle isn't directly in front of the inner cabinet face upright. Mine just missed.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Good freaking luck. I wanted to get away from them, too. Everything I looked at and liked had at least 1 Schwintek slideout.
I hear you. We can find some that only use schwintek on the small lighter slides, like the bedroom, where they seem to work better. But if it is on the larger slides, we just walk away
Old 01-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I hear you. We can find some that only use schwintek on the small lighter slides, like the bedroom, where they seem to work better. But if it is on the larger slides, we just walk away
X2... we're looking at several new 5th wheels at the moment but finding the same.
Not sure if we'll replace what we have just for this reason.

It seems those with slide problems are Schwintek 10 to 1.

Sorry for the thread drift... back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X2... we're looking at several new 5th wheels at the moment but finding the same.

We are in exactly the same place. It's going to have to be a hell of a deal on an otherwise perfect RV for us to accept even a little schwintek slide. Maybe in a few years they will finally either perfect schwintek or use something else that works. We are not in a hurry.....

We have had too many friends and acquaintances that have never ending schwintek problems. Granted, most of them are on the bigger, heavier slides.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #9

We had one of our silverware drawers pop open while driving. Pushed the slide out and heard a crunch. Got lucky and had the damage repaired under warranty. Now we do a visual check of several items before moving the slides - tv, drawers/doors in kitchen, doors on wardrobe slide....

Still thinking about a design to insure the drawers stay closed - may do kid latches or some kind of bar on the handles during transit.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
We had one of our silverware drawers pop open while driving. Pushed the slide out and heard a crunch. Got lucky and had the damage repaired under warranty. Now we do a visual check of several items before moving the slides - tv, drawers/doors in kitchen, doors on wardrobe slide....

Still thinking about a design to insure the drawers stay closed - may do kid latches or some kind of bar on the handles during transit.
One of the things I do to every new RV of ours is install new 10-15lb pull catches on all the drawers and cabinets. No more inadvertent openings. Don't know why most catches they use are so wimpy... Oh wait, yes I do
Old 01-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #11

I had a cabinet door open during travel. It was behind the slide and caught the edge while sliding out. Luckily it caused little damage. I since installed spring hinges from Lowe's, no more trouble.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #12
Canadian Member

Our new 2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS has rear opposing slides in a rear kitchen floorplan. There are soft closing drawers next to the slides. It looks like there is a few inches of clearance and the soft close mechanisms should hold the drawers closed without any changes. The handles don't stick out like the OP's. The cabinets doors however might need a childproof lock type thing for some piece of mind.

No Schwintek slide for me either!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

Sorry for the thread drift... back to your regularly scheduled programming...
don't forget the worst slide mechanisms
By accu slide cable operated . would rather have a schwintek . the problem with schwintek is they just can't handle the big kitchen slides or the very long whole room slides . but the smaller dinettes or small bedroom closet slides they seem to work very well imo
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Those smaller MH that have the hole side is a slide out,,,
Is pretty Damm Scary !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out