Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #1

Slide out not fully extending

We have a Cherokee 294BH with 2 slides, I believe the slide mechanism is a Lippert Hydrologic Through Frame Slide Out. (correct me if I'm wrong).

When I press the switch to extend the slide it goes out maybe a foot or two, then starts to slow down, then completely stops. However the bunk house slide continues to extend completely with no problems. The problematic slide is close enough to the rocker switch that I can hold down the switch with my left hand and kind of give the slide a gentle nudge with my right hand to get it moving again. It will then fully extend and fully retract with no problems. But when I try to extend it again, it does the same exact thing in the same exact spot. I have tried this numerous times. Also the affected slide seems to be dragging across the linoleum and it's beginning to create wear marks on the floor. I'm not sure if this is related

I have checked the hydraulic fluid and topped it off a half inch from the top. Just as my manual instructs.
My RV battery is brand new and fully charged. I am also plugged into shore power during these attempts.
The camper is also level side to side. I even tried putting slide side slightly down, and then slide side slightly up. It still gets stuck.

The camper is still under warranty but my wife and I are still pretty bummed out about those whole situation. We have only owned this camper for a few months, and this all started after out first trip. Had anyone else had similar problems? Or any ideas on how I can fix this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

In the few units I've been around that have hydraulic slides, it seems the slides go out according to the path of least resistance and in no particular order.

My sisters unit has three slides and the two main area sides start to go out (about a foot) the the bed slide will go fully out, then the refrigerator slide finishes extending and then the dining slide finishes.

When you put yours out... do you continue to hold the extend button after the bunk slide goes out, to finish extending the one that stopped. It may just need to build enough pressure to get it to move.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the marks on the floor. That doesn't seem right but we are only guessing without seeing it first hand.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

[QUOTE=5picker;1514661]In the few units I've been around that have hydraulic slides, it seems the slides go out according to the path of least resistance and in no particular order.

My sisters unit has three slides and the two main area sides start to go out (about a foot) the the bed slide will go fully out, then the refrigerator slide finishes extending and then the dining slide finishes.

When you put yours out... do you continue to hold the extend button after the bunk slide goes out, to finish extending the one that stopped. It may just need to build enough pressure to get it to move.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the marks on the floor. That doesn't seem right but we are only guessing without seeing it first hand.[/

Yes and no, the first time my slide got stuck I panicked and stopped before the bunkhouse fully extended. I then brought it back in, checked a bunch of things then tried to extend again. Then I had the idea of giving it a push. I'm not sure how far out the bunk house slide was out. I'm betting it was not all the way.
So do think it will be ok to hold down the switch to wait for the main slide to extend, even though the bunk house slide is out all the way. This is our first camper and I'm not to sure on how slides are supposed to work. But I thought I read somewhere that you are not supposed to hold down the switch if the slide is fully extended. I am not sure if this pertains to multiple slides though.
Thanks for your input!!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Yes and no, the first time my slide got stuck I panicked and stopped before the bunkhouse fully extended. I then brought it back in, checked a bunch of things then tried to extend again. Then I had the idea of giving it a push. I'm not sure how far out the bunk house slide was out. I'm betting it was not all the way.
So do think it will be ok to hold down the switch to wait for the main slide to extend, even though the bunk house slide is out all the way. This is our first camper and I'm not to sure on how slides are supposed to work. But I thought I read somewhere that you are not supposed to hold down the switch if the slide is fully extended. I am not sure if this pertains to multiple slides though.
Thanks for your input!!
Hydraulic slides work a bit differently than electric slides.
Because the hydraulic slides work off hydraulic pressure, you have to continue to hold the button to build pressure until ALL the slides are fully extended or retracted.

There are some caveats to this scenario and one would be if the fluid level is low, no amount of holding the switch will extend the slides because there just isn't sufficient fluid to get the job done. You've said you checked that.

Another is when your hydraulic pump/valve has individual controls inline with the slide. You are able to individually open/close the plumbing to each slide to operate it independently from the rest. I don't know whether yours is like this or not. Not all units have this feature.

With electric slides, you release the button within a few seconds of when the slide fully extends/retracts. Electric slides have a button for each slide as opposed to one button for however many hydraulic slides you have.

I'm surprised your dealer didn't show you the proper method for extending and retracting the slides.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #5

I have had nothing but trouble with my slides on my 2017 cedar creek. Just got back from the dealership for the 8th trip for my slides. They replaced the room control valve assembly, then the hydraulic pump, then a hydraulic ram. Turns out fhe ram was most of the problem. Had a Blown bypass valve in the ram and kept sucking air. Then 5 days over 3 trips for slide out alginments. Better , but not 100%. Have them do a ram bypass valve check. I have read many problems with the lippert rams. I asked my dealer to do the test before ordering the pump, they told me it was not the problem. It was. 4 months of frustration and its still not completely fixed.
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #6

My living room slide, opposite to the galley, hangs up once in awhile. I either give it a push out or a push in and it continues to work. I keep the remote control pushed the whole time till they are either in or out.
I don't see any binds or marks so haven't worried about it. I just figured with movement and changing clearances something like this was normal.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody1884 View Post
I have had nothing but trouble with my slides on my 2017 cedar creek. Just got back from the dealership for the 8th trip for my slides. They replaced the room control valve assembly, then the hydraulic pump, then a hydraulic ram. Turns out fhe ram was most of the problem. Had a Blown bypass valve in the ram and kept sucking air. Then 5 days over 3 trips for slide out alginments. Better , but not 100%. Have them do a ram bypass valve check. I have read many problems with the lippert rams. I asked my dealer to do the test before ordering the pump, they told me it was not the problem. It was. 4 months of frustration and its still not completely fixed.

I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds very frustrating. I will definitely ask that they do a bypass valve check when I take it in. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Bill View Post
My living room slide, opposite to the galley, hangs up once in awhile. I either give it a push out or a push in and it continues to work. I keep the remote control pushed the whole time till they are either in or out.

I don't see any binds or marks so haven't worried about it. I just figured with movement and changing clearances something like this was normal.

As long as it works for you. I am just a little worried that the push method may stop working for me, like when it's out of warranty. I just had my wife send out the 150$ check for the extended warranty. I was on the fence for a little while about the extended warranty. But then I realized I would be a fool not to get it.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My Sierra 5er with 4 hydraulic slides all operated off of 1 button. They would extend and retract in no specific order, with the exception that the master bedroom slide would extend/retract first. The other 3 slides would start to move/stop/slow/move again in no particular order until all the slides were out and the hydraulic pump went from a higher pitched whine to a lower pitched. As long as the slides move all the way out and back in, you don't really have a problem with the operation. If they are rubbing your floor, I would get them adjusted.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #10

I have a Cedar Creek with hydraulic slides operated by one switch and the lightest one will go out first as said earlier by others. I do have isolation valves in the utility Bay where I can stop the flow to any of the slides if I choose. If you don't have isolation valves, the slides will move in the path of least resistance, usually lightest first.

However I would check, or have the dealer check the rollers that I believe should be under the slide. If you have wear marks on the floor already at brand new, something needs to be adjusted before your floor gets shredded. Good luck.
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgas View Post
I have a Cedar Creek with hydraulic slides operated by one switch and the lightest one will go out first as said earlier by others. I do have isolation valves in the utility Bay where I can stop the flow to any of the slides if I choose. If you don't have isolation valves, the slides will move in the path of least resistance, usually lightest first.

However I would check, or have the dealer check the rollers that I believe should be under the slide. If you have wear marks on the floor already at brand new, something needs to be adjusted before your floor gets shredded. Good luck.
X2...and if the slides have already made marks on the floor of a brand new unit, have the dealer file a warranty claim with the manufacturer.

You should not have to start out with a damaged unit!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #12

I own a Cherokee 294BH. As others have stated, we have one switch for both slides, so once you push the button to extend, both bunkhouse and living room slides begin moving. It has been my experience that the bunkhouse usually fully extends first, with the living room slide "drifting" until the bunkhouse finishes (that *might* be where you think it's sticking). Once the bunkhouse is fully extended, the living room slide engages and continues until it's fully deployed. You should see the slide "square-up" and the pump noise change to a "strained" sound, that's how you know the slides are fully extended. Release the switch.

As for the marks, I have just noticed black marks on my carpeting from the living room slide. I'm going to have to investigate that...

2017 Cherokee 294BH
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L V8 Crew Cab
Moparman1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #13

I called lippert components and after a long wait on hold I was able to speak with someone who was very helpful and knowledgeable. He said that if the slide was stopping then it probably was an internal leak in a ram check valve. However marks on the floor was a separate issue and that the slide needs adjustments.

On my next day off I will try holding down the switch the entire time to see if the slide will make it out on its own. The marks on the floor are pretty superficial at the moment but I will have the slide adjusted before it does any permanent damage. I'll report back my findings when I'm able too.

I appreciate all the suggestions and input, it's been a great help!!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #14

Update 5/27/2017

I'm a very happy and a little embarrassed that to say that I figured it out. After reading all the great advice I thought maybe I was not holding down the switch long enough. So I pressed the switch both slides started to move with the bunk jumping out to a quick start, then the main slide started to slow then stop just as before. But this time I continued to hold down the switch and bunk house slide then continued to fully deploy, once it was fully seated the main slide magically started moving and fully deployed as well.

I guess sometimes the right solution is the easiest solution.

However I'm still on the fence about the linoleum. The wear marks appear to be very superficial, as if the area gets a lot of tragic. Clearly it's from the slide, but I'm not sure if it's worth having it adjust. I'd hate to have it adjusted then start to leak somewhere. I'm not even sure if this ever happens.

I think I will take pictures and post in a new thread in the near future.

Once again thanks for all the great advice!!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #15

Traffic** not tragic
Old 05-27-2017, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerfor2 View Post
Update 5/27/2017

I'm a very happy and a little embarrassed that to say that I figured it out. After reading all the great advice I thought maybe I was not holding down the switch long enough. So I pressed the switch both slides started to move with the bunk jumping out to a quick start, then the main slide started to slow then stop just as before. But this time I continued to hold down the switch and bunk house slide then continued to fully deploy, once it was fully seated the main slide magically started moving and fully deployed as well.

I guess sometimes the right solution is the easiest solution.

However I'm still on the fence about the linoleum. The wear marks appear to be very superficial, as if the area gets a lot of tragic. Clearly it's from the slide, but I'm not sure if it's worth having it adjust. I'd hate to have it adjusted then start to leak somewhere. I'm not even sure if this ever happens.

I think I will take pictures and post in a new thread in the near future.

Once again thanks for all the great advice!!
If it were me I would definitely have it adjusted and the flooring replaced if under warranty. I have not known of a properly adjusted slide leaking. They seal on the outside or inside of the outer wall when fully open or closed.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Glad you figured out the slide operation. No need to be embarrassed. We are all learning every camping trip. Thanks for posting back the outcome.

Tags
slide, slide out