Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #1

Slide out problem

I have a Rockwood 2504s mini lite and today (day 2 of a 7 week cross country trip) at a camp site in Moab Utah I heard a weird sound when extending the dinette. I went outside to find a plastic piece along the bottom edge of the slide crumpled and hanging down. I cut the broken piece away so as to not have any sharp or jagged edge that might catch again when I retract tomorrow. This has to be a temporary fix as I have 12 more camp sites reserved during my trip. Any suggestions as to what other temporary measures I might take would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180706_193935.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	178573  
Relder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #2

Gorilla tape is available at most hardware stores as well as the big box kind. Very strong and water tight.

You can also find it in multiple colors. I would be tempted to use that as a temp fix until you can get a new piece.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #3

I used gorilla tape along the entire area and I believe it will do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #4

I agree with the gorilla tape, but you should check to see what caused the problem to begin with. Your slide may need adjustment. It may be dragging, causing the plastic piece to get mangled. Or it could be the plastic piece was not installed correctly at the factory. It would be worth your time to investigate this to prevent further damage if there is a problem with the slide.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #5

My problem right now is I'm in day three of a 7 week trip across the US. The trailer is still under warranty from a dealer in Indiana ( where we planned to stop on July 28th for some minor warranty work). I'm hoping this temp repair holds till then. A RV dealer in Southern Calif. where I live repaired a shorted slide out switch wire about 10 days ago but the slide has been operated six or eight times since then with no problems. So I don't know why this happened. If it has more issues I'll have to find a dealer where ever I am that does warranty work and stay there till it's fixed. Not my first choice. Thanks for your input,
Old 07-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #6

I had the same thing happen to mine when it was new. What they did to fix mine was move the screw that helps support that plastic piece to the rod under the slide. They moved the screw down and it actually doesn't touch the plastic piece. It is there to support it if needed but before it held it too tight and didn't allow it to pivot with the slide. My dealer had one in stock. Said they repaired them often. You could probably get a piece of the edging for flower beds and trim it down to fabricate something to work until you can get it repaired.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:49 PM   #7

Ok, so I feel stupid. I looked again and realize that it isn't the wire protector. Forget everything I said just know. I hope you get your problem fixed.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #8

I had a similar failure. Mine however was not under warranty and I repaired it myself. That info is of no use to you but I did obtain pn# for my replacement pieces. So I thought that I would share that info.

The PN# for the LH trim angle was 10-03354A and the PN# for the RH trim angle was 10-03356A. The price of each item was only $10.52.
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 PM   #9

Thanks for the part numbers. I'm crossing my fingers that when I pack up tomorrow the slide works properly, the true test will be in Evanston WY when I extend the next time.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:45 PM   #10
Site Team

You can contact FR to find dealers near you that will do the warranty work or find independent RV shops or mobile RV tech.
You'll have to get pre-approval and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #11

Thanks, I had to do that for the shorted slide out switch that was just repaired 10 days ago. Since I purchased my rig in Indiana and I was going to be there and if this temp repair works I'll have them do the warranty work. This is all a big IF. FR was very quick to authorize the work in CA.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #12

I just had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I noticed that metal bar that is right above the plastic piece you had trouble with was not caulked correctly and let water in. Don't know how long that was going on before I noticed it. It got the plywood slide-out floor wet and the lamination in the plywood became de-laminated. The screws just pulled out by hand. The plastic piece that wraps under the slide out will no longer stick to the underside. I took pictures and ended up with a bit of back and forth between the selling dealer and Forest River. After a fruitless conversation with a brick wall at F.R. I eventually spoke with a helpful person who assured me it would be taken care of under warranty. I'm not sure at this time when or by whom but I used 3" screws to secure the metal bar back into the plywood edge and caulked the heck out of it. I'll report back when I hear something.
tonyrico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out