Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Sling TV experience

We have not yet opted for a satellite solution for TV in our 5th wheel, so we are using a Roku and had a Sling TV account for a live TV option. In fact I watched, and enjoyed, the NCAAFB Championship over Sling. Yesterday I noticed an unexpected charge of $116.06. We contacted Customer Service and they noted that an account had been set up under a different email address and my credit card. They promptly cancelled the second account, but informed me last night that they'd be unable to refund the $116.06. I'll work with my credit union to recover the fraudulent charges, but have cancelled my account with Sling. They can detect fraud and will shut down bad accounts quickly, but you're on your own when it comes to recovering funds. I had no issues with the service, but ask for better protections as a customer. Simply sharing.
GizUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #2

Interesting. If the account was set up using a credit card (not a debit card) one call to the Credit card company should shut the charges off. Not a big deal... Contest the charges with the Credit Card company and let them deal with it.

If it was a debit card, you don't have the same fraud protection as you do with a credit card. I rarely use my debit card for this reason.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

So what was the charges for?
So what you are saying is your credit card was stolen and used on a new Sling TV account other than the one you setup?
Do you think your credit card was compromised on Sling TV website?

I also have a sling tv account.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #4

I certainly would be cancelling that credit card as it is obviously compromised at this point.

my 2 cents

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #5

And never us a debit card for online charges since you really have very little protection.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
And never us a debit card for online charges since you really have very little protection.
I disagree with this one. Most debit cards I know of are actually backed by Visa or MasterCard (look for the logo) and you get the same protection as a credit card issued by them. I know, as we have had several fraudulent charges on our debit cards that they called us about within minutes of the charge. They cancelled the card, sent us a new one through our credit union, and we were NOT responsible for any those charges.

If your debit card does not have a Visa/MasterCard logo on it, I would change financial institutions.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I disagree with this one. Most debit cards I know of are actually backed by Visa or MasterCard (look for the logo) and you get the same protection as a credit card issued by them. I know, as we have had several fraudulent charges on our debit cards that they called us about within minutes of the charge. They cancelled the card, sent us a new one through our credit union, and we were NOT responsible for any those charges.

If your debit card does not have a Visa/MasterCard logo on it, I would change financial institutions.

You do get the same protection as most credit cards. What you don't get is protection if some hacker is somehow able to get access to your bank account number, (the specific account number for your checking or savings account that the card is referenced to) and then access that account, such as a direct wire transfer. Then it all falls back to your banks specific terms of the account, and although it will probably all be worked out eventually by the bank, you'll probably be in limbo for a long time while they investigate it. I had a checking account drained that way to the tune of about $4500 and it took about 3 weeks to see the money again. That was a PNC account.

A fraudulent charge totally based on the account number on the debit card itself is easy to resolve. I just had someone attempt to make a $62.50 cash withdrawal in a Walmart in Vegas a few weeks ago which the VISA fraud detection caught, mostly because I had just used the card for a purchase in PA 10 minutes prior. I guess its kind of hard to get from PA to Vegas in 10 minutes.

You can even fall into that scenario if a skimmer was placed on a gas pump but using a debit card online is risky. I use a conventional credit card for everything online as it just has more overall protection. Just pay the balance every month and its all the same. Actually better if you use a rewards card.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #8

"And never us a debit card for online charges since you really have very little protection."

Actually we prefer to use a debt card for on line.

The amount of the purchase is fed onto the card (plus maybe $10) and the items are ordered.

We have written instructions to NEVER honor an overdraft on the debt card , so if the card numbers are compromised $10. is all that is lost.

Sure the std credit cards have great protection , but it takes forms and paperwork to cancel bogus charges.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #9

It is a Visa branded debit card. I'll be at my local branch today to address recovering the funds. They told me it would be no problem when I was in the other morning to replace the card (I cancelled it immediately). We couldn't pursue recovering the funds at that point as they were still pending. They posted last night, so now we'll go down that path. The charges were to set up another Sling account, apparently with every extra channel they offer. I do not know if that's where the card was compromised, but it is the only place that fraudulent charges showed up. This will be a net zero for me. Simply disappointed that Sling could confirm that the account was set up by someone else, they were confident enough in this that they cancelled the account, yet they wouldn't work to return the money themselves.

"We apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. We have been able to find and resolve your payment issue. We identified the account set up and have cancelled the account to avoid any future charges.

Unfortunately, we will be unable to refund any charges for the services on this account."

They aren't costing me money, but they are costing me time. Given that, I decided to share the experience.
GizUSN is offline   Reply With Quote