Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Maybe down in the area of Myrtle Beach's Pirateland, KOA, Ocean Lakes & Lakewood they have HTC cable system. Up in the northern end near Barefoot Landing, Briarcliffe RV Resort, we have Spectrum Cable and can plug in directly without a box and receive 63 HD channels.
We were at Myrtle Beach Travel Park, right down the road from Briarcliffe. So not sure which cable company it was. That was 3 years ago now, didn't make it there the last 2 years because of hurricanes and covid. Didn't really need a box just a tv that had both a digital HDTV and digital cable built in receivers. One of our tvs had it and the other didn't. Only time it has happened to us. That is why I hadn't changed out tv yet, waiting till we go back to beach. Just letting new tv sit in box till we needed it.
Just my experience, and thought it might be what was happening with the OP.
Happy camping.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:10 PM   #42

Well, if you want a more permanent solution, simply subscribe to a streaming service like hulu, load the app on your computer, plug the computer into your tv hdmi slot. If you don't have internet then use your phone as a hot spot.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
At a campground last week I realized that I could only receive about half of the 100 or so channels on the park's HD cable system. I inquired in the office, and they said it would take a smart TV to receive all the channels.
As others have said. Smart v Dumb TV has nothing to do with what you can pickup via Cable connection or even over the air channels. Smart TVs can tap into streaming channels (Netflix, YouTube TV, Prime, etc, etc.). They do not enhance your ability to receive cable channels. The only thing might be if they require a cable box.
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #44

My 2008 Springdale has never had decent cable TV. Put up the antenna, turn on the booster and we normally hav 10 to 60 channels to watch. We donít go camping to watch TV so cable was just a curiosity at a RV park.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Not true. Smart TVs do not receive internet over cable.
Every thing he said is absolutely true. What he was saying was not to use a Smart TV to stream over the campgrounds Wi-Fi because they don't have the bandwidth to support it and it will bog down the service for everybody else. That is an absolutely true statement. To get around this a lot of campgrounds have paid Wi-Fi that you can pay for then you can stream Wi-Fi to your TV.

He never said anything about streaming over the cable go back and read his statement.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
At a campground last week I realized that I could only receive about half of the 100 or so channels on the park's HD cable system. I inquired in the office, and they said it would take a smart TV to receive all the channels.

I have always figured that if I hook the coax up to the camper, I'd get the same channels as everyone else. Is there something I can add to my 2018 dumb TV in order to receive all the channels?

Has anyone else run into this at a campground? I've been visiting private campgrounds for decades and was totally surprised by this.

All of the stations on the channel guide loaded onto my TV when I did the scan but would not come up. My friend in the next site had the same thing happen, but he could get audio-only on the phantom channels.

Another friend showed up with a new Grand Design that came from the factory with a Roku TV, which picked up all the channels. We were all baffled.

You might say I should be happy with 50 channels, but to complicate things, the channels available to my poor TV were scattered throughout the 100 listings, so I had to surf the entire list to see which ones would come up.
If you have a newer TV and you're not getting all the channels and your neighbors are then the problem is the campground cabling. Some of the connections are corroded everything is run underground. What I do when that happens is I ask for a discount since I don't get the TV they advertise.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
If you have a newer TV and you're not getting all the channels and your neighbors are then the problem is the campground cabling. Some of the connections are corroded everything is run underground. What I do when that happens is I ask for a discount since I don't get the TV they advertise.
I forgot to mention that if you get all the channels on one TV and not the other then the problem is in your unit. Find the connection where the split is and run a new cable or new fittings on the end of the existing cable and make sure the fittings are tight going to the bad TV.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:06 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
We were at a campground a couple years ago and had a similar problem. Our main living room tv picked up the cable channels just fine but the bedroom TV, that we installed ourselves, would not play the cable channels no matter what we tried. In researching this, I found first- that there are "digital cable" systems, which this campground had. Your TV has to have a QAM receiver to receive that type of cable is what I was told. And apparently our cheap bedroom TV didn't have it.
Only happened in that one campground and has not been a problem anywhere else we have camped with a cable hookup. But just to make sure, I purchased a new TV that specifically says QAM receiver. We are going back to that same campground later in the fall, so we shall see!
Just my 2 cents and experience. Happy camping!

Tony is correct....I had the same problem with a cheap RCA TV I bought at Walmart for our Wildwood. After finding out the problem I bought a Vizio with QAM and viola! No problem....(asked the Vizio rep why they still made TVs without it he said, "so Walmart can sell them cheaper"...
rroget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroget View Post
Tony is correct....I had the same problem with a cheap RCA TV I bought at Walmart for our Wildwood. After finding out the problem I bought a Vizio with QAM and viola! No problem....(asked the Vizio rep why they still made TVs without it he said, "so Walmart can sell them cheaper"...
QAM tuners have been around since about 2006. Most TVs have them. They came about when digital TV came out. To tell if your TV has a qam tuner, when you scan channels if it shows digital it is a q a m tuner. If it doesn't have one you can buy an external one that looks like a cable box. Walmart and some big box stores still sell TVs without this tuner so they can sell them cheaper.

There's a link to more info. https://drexel.edu/it/help/a-z/resnet-hd-cabletv/check-your-tv/
Old 06-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #50

Fire Stick in RV Parks

We've been seeing much improved WiFi internet at many of the RV parks we frequent - most of them fast enough to allow use of our Fire Stick. Hopefully that's the case in most of the country, with the equipment and service being so much cheaper and more reliable than in the past. We had very good internet in the park we lived in last year (while a new house was being built) and having the Fire Stick was really nice. The WiFi was covered in our rental fee, too. No extra charges.
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #51

I don't know the answer to this question but I do have a roku TV in my house that is connected to the antenna. Several months back it started getting about a hundred new channels that I've not seen previously. This is my newest TV and the other tv's in the house don't get these channels so there may be something to the newer tv's that is not on the older ones.
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
I don't know the answer to this question but I do have a roku TV in my house that is connected to the antenna. Several months back it started getting about a hundred new channels that I've not seen previously. This is my newest TV and the other tv's in the house don't get these channels so there may be something to the newer tv's that is not on the older ones.
When you're getting over the air channels you could have a different antenna on your TV if you're getting different channels. A cheap antenna will get less channels more expensive more channels external on the roof better, inside not so good. Placement / location makes a world of difference.

Tags
camper