Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #21
jkoenig24

I sold my house in 2018. The ONLY things I miss are the shower panel and whirlpool tub. I no longer worry about my house or, who might "take up residence" when I'm not there. I also enjoy NOT paying $5000+ for insurance and $7000+ in property taxes on a 120 year old house. SO much to see, do and explore across America. My RV allows me to go where and when I want and, I always have my own bed, bath and kitchen. In 2014, I "graduated" from a 17', 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer to a 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB, a TRUE Super-C Class motorhome. RVing doesn't have to mean "roughing it"!

I can always buy another house, while I'm healthy enough to drive a big RV, I'm going for it. I choose to be old later (MUCH later).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #22

I certainly like a lot of the ideas. My other half finally retired spring this year, now comes our big decision also. We both want to sell the house, less maintenance and lower bills. We live in New England and both hate snow, but love the summer here.

Our idea is to sell our home and purchase a condo in our home state of Massachusetts.
Winter somewhere warm with the TT and decide to snowbird till too old to drive or just permanently move TT south. Swap locations on average every six months.

Plan still in Progress .....
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
I sold my house in 2018. The ONLY things I miss are the shower panel and whirlpool tub. I no longer worry about my house or, who might "take up residence" when I'm not there. I also enjoy NOT paying $5000+ for insurance and $7000+ in property taxes on a 120 year old house. SO much to see, do and explore across America. My RV allows me to go where and when I want and, I always have my own bed, bath and kitchen. In 2014, I "graduated" from a 17', 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer to a 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB, a TRUE Super-C Class motorhome. RVing doesn't have to mean "roughing it"!

I can always buy another house, while I'm healthy enough to drive a big RV, I'm going for it. I choose to be old later (MUCH later).
I guess being in your shoes maybe I would to. But here in East TN our house taxes are 650.00 2 1/2 acres new 2700 sq ft home.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #24
boatman

Following trying to put together our 5yr plan.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #25

My perspective is coming from recent experience with my MIL. She and her husband had been full timers for about 20+ years and traveled all over the country. About 10 years ago they pulled into a park to "settle down" and all was well in the beginning. But then her husbands health went south and the upkeep on the 5er started going down hill.

Fast forward to today and we are just finishing up moving her into a independent living apartment (her husband passed about 2 years ago). She's not thrilled about this but knows she can't keep living in the 5er that is 15+ years old and showing its age.

She says she enjoyed her time traveling and the early days in the park but wishes they had kept a place they could have gone back to when traveling and maintaining the 5er became too much. Stick houses take maintenance too but trailers really aren't built for 15+ years of living.

For the DW and I, we'll be traveling more when she retires in 2 years but we will keep the house and come back every 3 to 6 months to enjoy what we've spent so long creating.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

In 2015 we retired and headed south to sun country somewhere in our 5th wheel. We found Casa Grande, Az. and fell in love with it. So much the right place, we bought a park model with a large addition. Now we had a house in U.P. of Michigan and a family cottage on Lake Superior. After some debate we decided to sell the house and call Arizona home. Now for three months we head north to the cottage in Michigan with the RV and nine months home in Arizona. Plus a few camping trips during the winter. Found a way to call SNOW a four letter swear word. Life is GOOD!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
<snip>We found Casa Grande, Az. and fell in love with it. So much the right place, we bought a park model with a large addition. <snip> Found a way to call SNOW a four letter swear word. Life is GOOD!

Hope to see ya soon Ed Just down the road on Redford.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Hope to see ya soon Ed Just down the road on Redford.
Every time I cruise by I check your place to see if everything is good.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Every time I cruise by I check your place to see if everything is good.

Much appreciated! No news is good news.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #30

Where do you store the extra RV.
Sobeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

WE have a storage lot in our resort.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaMooseP View Post
Thank you folks for all the input. I retired 6 Years ago. Our baby is 24. We have talked to kids about it and they have said that if we go full time we can park at their houses when we want. Also the kids said they can plan trips to meet up with us. Part of my issue is that I love doing yard work. And some of the house maintenance.
Help the kids out with yard work and house maintenance. I’m sure they would like the help.
Rockwood Roo (sold)
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #33

My thought is to sell our current house then help both our sons purchase a home with the rule being there has to be room for us to come in with our camper, then figure which location has the best taxes for setting up our home address. We did just find a nice house at one location with a rv pad just checking on any hookups. At least it's a start will it happen this way who knows but one can always dream. Good luck on your decision.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #34

home base for me

DW is interested in full time, but I prefer having a home base. For now it 2-3 weeks at a time until our old dogs pass then longer. We are close to all the kids and grand-daughter and help them out when needed. House is paid for and maintenance costs not horrible. Taxes is another issue (10k) but that's the way it goes. Hopefully DC will end the ceiling on deduction amounts allowed in the next administration or so. Have given thought to a new house where i can pull in and turn around easier than backing into driveway or senior development with RV parking available since old retired people get out on the road quite a bit but still like to tinker with stuff. It being convenient to get to would be a plus. It would also be a nightmare to get rid of all we've accumulated over the years
RCPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #35

We rent out our house to our daughter and son-in-law. I don’t like the idea of leaving the house unattended for 6 months in winter. We spend the winters in different places in the south. We come back to michigan in summer and camp up north for weeks at a time. We still maintain a bedroom in the house. I installed a concrete parking pad with full hooks next to the attached garage. Works out great.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #36

Got a few questions for you full timers.

How do you get an Enhanced Drivers License? One requirement is to show proof of physical residence.

How do you get mail? (I know about several services....and I use a mail-drop UPS store myself)

How do you do prescriptions while traveling? (We aren't full time, but use Sam's pharmacy, and Walgreens, and always find one somewhere)

How do you do doctor visits?

Just curious. I couldn't do it. I have too much stuff, too many other toys, boats, ATV's, etc etc.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow