Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #1

Snowbird wants route around Dalls/Ft. Worth

Will be driving personal vehicle (not MH) to Lake Travis/Clear Park Texas. Looking for route to the West of Dallas and Ft. Worth. Thinking of taking 51 South out of Gainesville, TX To I-20 West. Then 281 South to Marble Falls. Then 1431 (county road?) To Cedar Park to monthly rental. Does this look like a good route?
thepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Enjoying Life

Not a bad route. Last time I was on 51(about a year) there was some construction near Decatur. may be over by now.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #3

That is a good route. I live west of Ft. Worth, actually as you drive down 51 you will be about half a mile from my house.

I will always take 281 over 35, much more scenic and much less traffic.

Be aware that FM 51 is closed at SH 199 for bridge construction that is supposed to take the next 18 months or so. You will have to take a very small detour on a loop that goes past some schools so you might want to time your trip through Springtown to avoid between 3 and 4 pm.

Also you may want to take the Rick Williamson Memorial Hwy loop around Weatherford rather than drive through the town.

If you like BBQ the Hard Eight is right off 281 in Stephenville. As you walk in you go by the pit and tell them what meat you want (careful it is real easy to let your eyes get bigger than your stomach here).

If you like pie the Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls is supposed to be really good. They only take cash.
2022 F450
bcintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #4

I have a differing opinion and I live near FTW. You're going a long way out of your way for what could be little to no traffic congestion. Don't get me wrong 281 is a much more scenic meandering trip through the area than 35W and if that's your goal by all means take it.

35W through FTW is 100% dependent on time of day and whether or not you'll take a toll road. If you go through mid morning or mid afternoon it's usually not a big deal and if you'll take the toll it's almost never a big deal.

We went to Waco for a few days last week, we left about 10ish got on 287 near our house set the cruise on the MH, drove to the toll way on 35W, drove through downtown still with the cruise on. Toll ended south of downtown got on 35W no big deal hit the cruise and on to Waco.

Google Maps traffic is what we use to determine our routes in and around DFW.

Tags
snow