Was reading over the newspapers that I glance at and found this article. Sure glad to read that nobody was hurt. All made it out unharmed. Here is the article that ran in this weeks newspaper.
Motor home fire creates traffic problems
BY WAYNE QUESENBERRY/Staff
A motor home fire on Interstate 77 at mile marker 47, near the Wythe-Bland line, created a major traffic backup Saturday. Both northbound lanes were closed for more than two hours as the vehicle’s 300 gallons of diesel fuel and 200 gallons of propane burned.
“We used 25,000 gallons of water,” noted Ronnie King, chief of the Wytheville Fire Department. “We had to just let it burn because the fire burned off the motor home’s cutoff valves.”
Firefighters from the Bland Volunteer Fire Department assisted. Crews from the Wythe County Rescue Squad and the Bland County Rescue Squad also responded although no injuries were reported and the motor home’s four occupants escaping unharmed.
According to King, the 2000 36-foot Safari motor home was traveling northbound on the interstate around 11:40 a.m. Saturday. As the vehicle began its steep climb near the 47 mile marker, a rear turbo charger apparently quit.
Nickolas Moore of New Cumberland, W.Va., pulled his motor home off the road when he saw black smoke coming from the rear of the vehicle, King said. He tried unsuccessfully to use a fire extinguisher on the blaze, the fire chief reported.
“He had just filled up at the TA and there was a lot of diesel fuel,” King pointed out. “There were two 100-gallon propane tanks in the motor home, too.”
He noted Wytheville firefighters had difficulty reaching the scene because traffic already was backed up along the interstate. Using the side emergency lane proved a problem, too, King stated, because of passing tractor-trailer rigs.
Once at the scene, firefighters contained the blaze to the motor home. They remained for two hours.
In the meantime, traffic backed up more than 20 miles on I-77 and I-81. The interstates’ overlap in Wythe County was especially congested.
According to King, the axles on the motor home had to be replaced after the fire before the vehicle could be moved. The motor home was moved around 7 p.m.
The vehicle and its contents were destroyed by the fire. The motor home was valued at $30,000.