Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #41
Another adventure awaits!

Congratulations! Was going to ask if you had a truck but I see from the subsequent posts that you do. Your F150 should pull that easily, I would think. We pulled our 38' 5th wheel with our F250 gas and our 43' 5th with the F250 gas, but now have a F250 diesel; hubby wanted to improve the gas mileage.
Would definitely suggest a WDH ...

Happy Camping ...
Old 07-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #42

Congrats on your new camper! Be thankful you don't live in Rhode Island, the DMV would tax you on the full book value..... and then they'd probably tax you on how much fun you have in it.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #43

Congrats!!! Have fun!! Lots of adventures ahead with your family.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #44
Adult Member

Welcome from another Wisconsin resident. Enjoy yourselves. I had to pay tax on a piece of a Nascar I won so be prepared.
punkinpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitordie View Post
It is a 30 amp. I was going to instal a stand alone breaker and wires just dedicated to the camper. I have lots of electrical experience just not certified but I definitely donít want to fry things before I get started

30 Amp RV = 1 Hot, 1 Neutral, 1 Ground.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:09 AM   #46

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes. I went to the RV dealership today and filled out the paperwork. It does reflect the cheaper sales price thankfully and now the title is on its way. Worse case scenario, I should be able to take the title and take a small loan against it to pay any extra fun tax they might apply. I have told my son we will be camping in the driveway this week once I get the power hooked up prior to us taking it to a state park (more than likely Darbonne). Purchased the black tank drain hose, some recommended tablets, levels, water pressure regulator, and a socket adapter for my drill. Tomorrow I plan on hooking the power up and grabbing the drinking water hose.

I’m sure if anything should arise I will be right back here to find the answer. I was hoping the guys at Gander Rv would walk me through everything but told me to drive it all the way up there and they would instead of taking me into one they had on the lot right then. Kind of got the impression that they weren’t making any more money off a sale and rushed me out of there you know.
Hitordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:24 AM   #47

Maybe you can find someone here who has the same camper and will run you through a demo VIA Skype. I have done that for someone who purchased the same camper used that I have, and even walked him through winterizing it last Fall. Your other option, which is probably better, is to go back to the original dealer and have them give you the walk through. They owe it to the purchaser/winner.

Also, as I mentioned earlier in this string. You need a brake controller (unless your truck has a built in one), and should get a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH), which will make is safer for you to haul and control the trailer as you drive and take wear and tear off of your tow vehicle. Without getting into the nitty gritty of WDH and Tow weights, your vehicle may require a WDH for this trailer as well.

Again, Congrats and Good Luck!
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!)
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 206K For Pulling TT in the sand
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
Maybe you can find someone here who has the same camper and will run you through a demo VIA Skype. I have done that for someone who purchased the same camper used that I have, and even walked him through winterizing it last Fall. Your other option, which is probably better, is to go back to the original dealer and have them give you the walk through. They owe it to the purchaser/winner.

Also, as I mentioned earlier in this string. You need a brake controller (unless your truck has a built in one), and should get a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH), which will make is safer for you to haul and control the trailer as you drive and take wear and tear off of your tow vehicle. Without getting into the nitty gritty of WDH and Tow weights, your vehicle may require a WDH for this trailer as well.

Again, Congrats and Good Luck!
I’m definitely installing a trailer break on my truck. Coincidentally my wife’s vehicle actually has it but only has a 6000 pound towing capability. I will also be purchasing the WDH. It being a liter trailer it did quite a bit of bouncing on the way home with it so hopefully that will make everything much better. I’m hoping to take this thing elk hunting and will need all the help and security towing this through the mountains in the future.

Living in the south, Winterizing Things aren’t always a priority around here, however this past year we had a major freeze so I definitely want to know how to winterize it
Old 07-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitordie View Post
I’m definitely installing a trailer break on my truck. Coincidentally my wife’s vehicle actually has it but only has a 6000 pound towing capability. I will also be purchasing the WDH. It being a liter trailer it did quite a bit of bouncing on the way home with it so hopefully that will make everything much better. I’m hoping to take this thing elk hunting and will need all the help and security towing this through the mountains in the future.

Living in the south, Winterizing Things aren’t always a priority around here, however this past year we had a major freeze so I definitely want to know how to winterize it
If you already have a 7 pin plug on your truck you may already have a trailer BRAKE, ( etrailer dot com) if not then yes get one, and look at your build sheet for the truck as it should also have a transmission cooler installed. Look at a FORD forum for more info... I think I saw you said you had a F-150 truck.

You do not have a heavy trailer. I did purchase the Harbor Freight WDH for my 5,000# trailer and it works just fine with my RAM 1500 for about $200. You do not need anything fancy or $600 worth. Maybe look at amazon for CIPA add-on travel mirrors IF you are having trouble seeing the sides of the camper with your stock setup.

If you have compressed air available, you can simply blow out the water lines when it comes time to winterize. Make sure to take out the filter and drain the hot water heater. Nothing elaborate needed for your location.

Be sure the tires are pumped to the correct pressure before any travel. Avoid hitting curbs when leaving gas stations and such and potholes as much as possible. OEM trailer tires have a bad reputation for blowouts. Inspect them frequently for side wall bulges and belt deformities.

Read thru the posts here and you will get all the training and insight needed to make your camper an enjoyable family affair.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #50

Congratulations and welcome to the FROG family. We love our Berkshire
omahagirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:26 PM   #51

Just a note on your driveway camping - if you have a 20 amp outlet in your garage, it will work for light duty power on your camper. That's all we have and I can run our AC and some lights without any issues. If you try to run the AC & microwave some popcorn, I'm pretty sure that would trip the breaker. Long term the 30 amp outlet is the way to go but for now, take the easy route!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Just a note on your driveway camping - if you have a 20 amp outlet in your garage, it will work for light duty power on your camper. That's all we have and I can run our AC and some lights without any issues. If you try to run the AC & microwave some popcorn, I'm pretty sure that would trip the breaker. Long term the 30 amp outlet is the way to go but for now, take the easy route!
Well I went ahead and Installed a 30 amp plug on my shop this afternoon. Got to fire it up today and test the lights, AC, fridge, and awning. Hope to get a surge protector in the near future but was very excited to get everything running!
Old 07-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #53

I have some you tube videos that helped me get started.

1. https://youtu.be/bRV6vpH8VCM
2. https://youtu.be/zim4ujoS-bc

Enjoy the travels
randylee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:43 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Rocket View Post
What are you cop??? haha
A cop would not ask that question (I have worn the shield for over 20 years), but an IRS agent might...

X2 on the first time in the driveway. The absolute best place to find what is missing/not working!
OfficerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #55

Get a tire iron that fits . I found out the hard way that I didnít have a tire iron, and though the tire iron from my TV fit the nuts, it didnít fit inside the recess on the wheels. All of this was discovered at about 11:45pm on an interstate in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin.
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:09 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMike View Post
A cop would not ask that question (I have worn the shield for over 20 years), but an IRS agent might...

X2 on the first time in the driveway. The absolute best place to find what is missing/not working!
Internet meme

Rick the Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #57

Congratulations on winning the camper!

We camped for the first time 20 min from our house at our local KOA. We made several trips back home to get items we "forgot"... :-) It was a great way to shake out the issues and figure out what we had to bring or buy for the next trip.
TxRockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #58
Retired Old Fart

Do a weekend "dry run" camping in your yard. Since you have the 30amp plug in now, it will be like being at a COE (Corp of Engineers) campground with water and electric, but no sewer hookup. A weekend dry run test camp will tell you what you forgot to think about, and you have the safety net of home a few feet away if there are problems.

You might also want to go ahead and find out if there are any dump stations near you. Free ones are great, but there may be many pay options for a nominal fee at gas stations, state parks, COE parks (they have a central dump station, but not at individual campsites), local RV parks, etc... You will still need somewhere to purge those tanks after the "trial run" at the house. In practice, you will need to also do this if you dry camp anyway. Dry camping opens up lots of options.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:49 PM   #59

Many Boat Ramps have dump stations which are usually free. Just be careful not to back up too far!
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!)
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 206K For Pulling TT in the sand
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:52 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Do a weekend "dry run" camping in your yard. Since you have the 30amp plug in now, it will be like being at a COE (Corp of Engineers) campground with water and electric, but no sewer hookup. A weekend dry run test camp will tell you what you forgot to think about, and you have the safety net of home a few feet away if there are problems.

You might also want to go ahead and find out if there are any dump stations near you. Free ones are great, but there may be many pay options for a nominal fee at gas stations, state parks, COE parks (they have a central dump station, but not at individual campsites), local RV parks, etc... You will still need somewhere to purge those tanks after the "trial run" at the house. In practice, you will need to also do this if you dry camp anyway. Dry camping opens up lots of options.
Well I’m so glad I did decide to do a dry run here at the house cause this mattress reminds me of the primitive camping days on the side of the mountain �� so far everything works as expected and I hook up the black tank hose tomorrow. Haven’t hooked water up just yet as I’ve yet to buy the drinking water hose but that’s on the agenda tomorrow as well.

Tags
camper