Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #1

So I won a camper!

Well I’ve been wanting a camper for a while especially since I’ve been hunting elk out of state the past couple years. I Went to a banquet and won the grand prize (First thing I have ever won in my life) a free 21 Forest River wildwood FSX platinum. It’s a perfect size for my small family and definitely plenty of camper for my elk hunts. My only problem/good problem is I have no camper experience or knowledge. My son wants to use it immediately so I want to plan a quick trip before he starts school back. Any quick tips or advice on things to buy or things to avoid buying/doing. I will be diving through the forums after posting this but definitely wanted to get some quick input for an RVing noob. I enjoy primitive camping but the older I’m getting having this will be a godsend lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3EAF18C-81EE-4A4E-AFB3-0B98A8F9980C.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	550.4 KB
ID:	259883  
Hitordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Congrats, you have the sort of luck I never do! I would read all you can on this forum. It's all been asked and answered a 1000 times here! And your first use should be right in your driveway to train yourself and test it.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #3

I guess the first question would be, do you have an appropriate tow vehicle? I’m guessing that if you are an avid hunter you probably have a truck…
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #4

Congrats!!! You will find all the advise you need on the forums, as said first trip try it out in your yard or driveway. Enjoy!
mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:07 PM   #5

GREAT I wish I had a son to take camping at that age...

do yourself a favor and do some driveway camping for a night or two and stock in the camper what you find that you need to do that...

next go to a spot an hour away and close to a walmart and camp for a weekend... buy or go back home for anything you may have forgot

figure that the cheap battery the dealer gave you might last for a night of camping without some external power being applied

make sure you get a bottle jack and tire changing breaker bar and socket cuse the trailer did not come with one

cut up some 2x6 lumber to pull up your wheels on because campgrounds are never level, and do not use the stablizer jacks to do anything but tweak level on the camper... they are not designed to pull wheels off the ground to level your camper, that is what the 2x6 lumber does

get a battery operated drill and socket to crank on those stab jacks... makes stabilizing the trailer a lot easier

maybe I missed your tow vehicle... do you need a weight distribution hitch? WDH? possibly... I am seeing anything from 3900# and UP depending on the model which I did not see in your post.

load your trailer up gently, and always load tongue heavy... 10-15% of the TOTAL weight of the trailer including the cargo weight should be on the tongue for safe no-sway towing.

leave the water tank empty for your first couple of tows so that you can manage the weight... get bottled water on the way until you are more experienced towing.

Have FUN... just get into the trailer with baby steps starting in your driveway!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #6

I'm curious do they make you fill out a W4 so the IRS can tax your good fortune?
Old 07-26-2021, 08:58 PM   #7

I have a 19 F150 with the eco boost. Only rated 8,000 pounds and didn’t have any trouble pulling it home from the banquet but definitely increased the gas consumption.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I'm curious do they make you fill out a W4 so the IRS can tax your good fortune?
They didn’t at the time so we will see if I get a message from them at a later date ����
Old 07-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
GREAT I wish I had a son to take camping at that age...

do yourself a favor and do some driveway camping for a night or two and stock in the camper what you find that you need to do that...

next go to a spot an hour away and close to a walmart and camp for a weekend... buy or go back home for anything you may have forgot

figure that the cheap battery the dealer gave you might last for a night of camping without some external power being applied

make sure you get a bottle jack and tire changing breaker bar and socket cuse the trailer did not come with one

cut up some 2x6 lumber to pull up your wheels on because campgrounds are never level, and do not use the stablizer jacks to do anything but tweak level on the camper... they are not designed to pull wheels off the ground to level your camper, that is what the 2x6 lumber does

get a battery operated drill and socket to crank on those stab jacks... makes stabilizing the trailer a lot easier

maybe I missed your tow vehicle... do you need a weight distribution hitch? WDH? possibly... I am seeing anything from 3900# and UP depending on the model which I did not see in your post.

load your trailer up gently, and always load tongue heavy... 10-15% of the TOTAL weight of the trailer including the cargo weight should be on the tongue for safe no-sway towing.

leave the water tank empty for your first couple of tows so that you can manage the weight... get bottled water on the way until you are more experienced towing.

Have FUN... just get into the trailer with baby steps starting in your driveway!
My son is 7 and loves the outdoors! Some great tips and definitely stuff we can do quickly. Thank you so much for the advice
Old 07-26-2021, 09:11 PM   #10

You did good!! I loose money just driving by las vegas.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
What are you cop??? haha
Rick the Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:33 PM   #12
Site Team

This thread link is aimed at the new RV'er like yourself.

I would recommend at least reading the "Converter/Inverter they are different" and "no hot water" threads there first to get an understanding of your electrical and plumbing.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ts-157524.html

The more you know at the start, the less problems you will have.

VERY IMPORTANT: is your RV a 30 amp (3 male prongs on the shore power cord) OR a 50 amp (4 male prongs on the shore power cord)?

If a 30 amp (120 volts AC only) make sure to read the link on wiring a 30 amp outlet at your house. Many new RV'ers and electricians who do not have experience will connect a 30 amp RV mistakingly to a 240 volt outlet and ruin things.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitordie View Post
They didn’t at the time so we will see if I get a message from them at a later date ����
I would *expect* a form 1099 at the end of the year. I once won a new car from a radio station, and I have a friend who won a heavily modified Challenger Hellcat from a social media promotion.

In both cases, the IRS treated the "actual cash value" of the car as "ordinary income", and taxed that value at our marginal tax rate. In my case, that was the MSRP of the car (around $8,000 at the time). For my friend, they valued that Challenger at over $100k and he had to sell it to pay the tax bill - I think he said that the he ended up having to pay around $16,000, but I don't know if that was before after any refund he would have ordinarily been due.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

I would recommend at least reading the "Converter/Inverter they are different" and "no hot water" threads there first to get an understanding of your electrical and plumbing.

VERY IMPORTANT: is your RV a 30 amp (3 male prongs on the shore power cord) OR a 50 amp (4 male prongs on the shore power cord)?

If a 30 amp (120 volts AC only) make sure to read the link on wiring a 30 amp outlet at your house. Many new RV'ers and electricians who do not have experience will connect a 30 amp RV mistakingly to a 240 volt outlet and ruin things.
Would a little bitty single axle like the one in the picture ever be 50a?

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:08 PM   #15
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
I presume it was a raffle type situation? The group/company who awarded it to you was required to fill out and submit a form W-2G to the IRS (raffles either by purchased ticket or otherwise are covered under the gambling tax rules - go figure). If they did not get your social security number, it's on them, not you. Also technically you are "supposed" to voluntary report the winning even if they don't (just saying........). If it was an informal thing, it likely never got reported by the banquet hosts.

Just to be safe, I would start collecting all the ads for new trailers of that model, looking to build a portfolio of below MSRP advertised prices. The IRS will try to ding you for full retail, but if you can show that is not the actual selling price around the time of the winning, you have a good argument to be taxed at the lower actual selling prices. Even better if the banquet company bought it at wholesale from a dealer (or was donated at wholesale).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #16

Quote:

It is a 30 amp. I was going to instal a stand alone breaker and wires just dedicated to the camper. I have lots of electrical experience just not certified but I definitely don’t want to fry things before I get started
Old 07-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
I presume it was a raffle type situation? The group/company who awarded it to you was required to fill out and submit a form W-2G to the IRS (raffles either by purchased ticket or otherwise are covered under the gambling tax rules - go figure). If they did not get your social security number, it's on them, not you. Also technically you are "supposed" to voluntary report the winning even if they don't (just saying........). If it was an informal thing, it likely never got reported by the banquet hosts.

Just to be safe, I would start collecting all the ads for new trailers of that model, looking to build a portfolio of below MSRP advertised prices. The IRS will try to ding you for full retail, but if you can show that is not the actual selling price around the time of the winning, you have a good argument to be taxed at the lower actual selling prices. Even better if the banquet company bought it at wholesale from a dealer (or was donated at wholesale).
I’m a member of an association/non profit organization. It was a free entry prize and they didn’t require me to sign anything when I left. Hooked up and drove it home. But I’m on the board so they may just get it from me later. I do have to pay the taxes on it. Luckily I know what they purchased it for which was for nearly half the price of retail so I won’t have to pay too much on it thankfully.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #18

Wow congratulations! What a fun prize to win.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:04 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
It is a 30 amp. I was going to instal a stand alone breaker and wires just dedicated to the camper. I have lots of electrical experience just not certified but I definitely don’t want to fry things before I get started
Excellent. In the link I previously posted for new RV owners, there is how-to thread for installing a 30 amp RV outlet. If you follow the instructions on the PDF file there you should be good to go.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Forest River Forums mobile app

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Excellent. In the link I previously posted for new RV owners, there is how-to thread for installing a 30 amp RV outlet. If you follow the instructions on the PDF file there you should be good to go.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Forest River Forums mobile app
I saw your location is NE Louisiana. I’m south central Arkansas and planning on going to Lake Darbonne On our first public outing which is about 25 mins away. I will definitely check out the link. Thanks

Tags
camper