Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiwer View Post
I checked out the HipCamp app but it looks to me like it only lists developed campgrounds. We are looking for ways to find info on dispersed camping areas. Any ideas?
We don’t use HipCamp for campgrounds although they do offer them. We use it for non campground sites. For instance we stayed in an open mowed field for our first outing with the pup. The property owner had several fields and we ended up having the whole field to ourselves. The next one was along a river and that host had 4 sites but they were all far apart. Then we stayed at a horse rescue ranch. That one was by one of the barns. The last one this season was also on a farm but site was off by an 1800 cabin that the host allows you to use as much or as little as you want. You can book campgrounds if you wish. We just filter for RV sites near us. You can also filter for hook ups or no hook ups.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
We're doing overlanding, getting off the grid and away from crowds/people to enjoy nature. Nothing wrong with campgrounds in general, just not my thing and the places I want to go are places a trailer can't go. The last camping trip we did with this trailer, where we found the buyer, cemented my feelings. We want to get out where it's peaceful. Campgrounds are the opposite. People playing music and being loud during quiet hours, people coming and going early in the morning, etc. I'd tolerate it when our kids were younger and we'd stay at KOAs and such, but I'd rather have peace and quiet and even if there weren't a pandemic our kids are ages where they don't want to go out and make random friends in a campground.

I also much prefer not towing a trailer, makes logistics much easier and between the fuel savings and free dispersed camping it's a whole lot easier to swallow going on a 1-2 week overlanding trip vs a 1-2 week trip with our trailer. Not that we couldn't afford it, it just stung.

My wife is also getting more into backpacking trips, so overlanding is easier to include in that.
Me and my wife do not like many private campgrounds do that reason. We frequent state park campgrounds because they are very quiet and have good trails and such.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
Me and my wife do not like many private campgrounds do that reason. We frequent state park campgrounds because they are very quiet and have good trails and such.
X2 (up here they are called Provincial/National but same thing). Most sites have power, some have power and water but once you think you need full hookups you get packed in like sardines. Learn to be conservative with resources and enjoy the privacy and serenity.
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiwer View Post
I checked out the HipCamp app but it looks to me like it only lists developed campgrounds. We are looking for ways to find info on dispersed camping areas. Any ideas?
If you're looking for dispersed camping then I would look at iOverlander and Gaia GPS. While you may not be doing actual overlanding, dispersed and primitive camping is what we look for. BLM and National Forest lands are ripe with spots, but many times you have to seek them out and know the rules, such as you can't just camp anywhere you think you could pull off as that adds to forestry damage. Make it a point to only stop and camp in spots that have an established fire ring (Not a metal one, just one that's obviously been well-used) so you're treading lightly.

If you don't want to have to spend time looking for a spot in an unfamiliar area then things like iOverlander and Gaia GPS will help you locate places.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #25

We find dispersed camping on HipCamp all the time. We only went to one state park this year. All the rest were dispersed sites we found through HipCamp.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote