RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-24-2020, 06:58 AM   #1

So Many New RVrs — Welcome!

In all of the years I have been RVing, and since the invention of the internet and RV forums, I have never noticed so many people getting into RVing for the first time as I have in the past three months. It really is impressive.

It seems to be one of the few good things brought about by COVID-19 — people are getting out of their homes and out of town to enjoy and explore this great country, the great outdoors and great people.

Welcome to all of you new RVrs. Welcome to Forest river, and welcome to the Forest River Forums. You’ve come to the right place.

Bruce
Old 07-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #2

Only down side to that is the availability of campsites.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #3

You are right about that, but maybe this problem will be an invitation for entrepreneurs to start building new campgrounds or expanding and improving existing campgrounds.

I realize this will probably not apply to state and national park campgrounds.

Bruce
Old 07-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Supply & demand.

As it was back in the 70's when there was another camping boom after the gas shortage, new campgrounds will pop up and others will expand.

I think it is a good thing.

Lots of work for the manufacturers that are US based so that puts folks to work. Lots of work for R/V techs and that creates work opportunities.

More folks camping will require better infrastructure in the campgrounds (WIFI/electric/etc.) so that will be better in the long run.

Lots of new fellow campers to meet and seeing families out enjoying the landscape is way better than sitting in the house playing video games 24/7.

Sure, it's a bit of an inconvenience presently but better in the long haul.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Supply & demand.

As it was back in the 70's when there was another camping boom after the gas shortage, new campgrounds will pop up and others will expand.

I think it is a good thing.

Lots of work for the manufacturers that are US based so that puts folks to work. Lots of work for R/V techs and that creates work opportunities.

More folks camping will require better infrastructure in the campgrounds (WIFI/electric/etc.) so that will be better in the long run.

Lots of new fellow campers to meet and seeing families out enjoying the landscape is way better than sitting in the house playing video games 24/7.

Sure, it's a bit of an inconvenience presently but better in the long haul.
I think your assessment is spot-on. I really do think it is a great thing. It may be a little inconvenient for some people right now, but I think it will lead to a much more streamlined network of campgrounds.

Bruce
Old 07-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #6

I’m new to a motorhome, but not to RVing.
We had a 26’ Weekend Warrior since 2005. It was great for the kids and all the toys, but traveling in a toyhauler has its drawbacks.
Loading, unloading...lots of work.
Not to mention that there are places we just couldn’t fit. We did a lot of boondocking.
The capacity for water and waste was large.

Kids grew up and out. We wanted something smaller...swapped the toyhauler for an older, low mileage Sunseeker LE 31
We’ve been refurbishing the moho and cannot wait to hit the road.
Just rebuilt the generator, the rig is great mechanically, just need to tackle the exterior.....remove old graphics and polish it up.

Now we can go almost anywhere...IF we can find a hook up...these don’t boondock that well.
jimmattor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
You are right about that, but maybe this problem will be an invitation for entrepreneurs to start building new campgrounds or expanding and improving existing campgrounds.

Bruce
Seriously doubt you'll see this happening enough, to keep up with the increased demand.
Costs and restrictions are too high for building any new campgrounds, even for the Feds, states, counties and cities. And forget privately built new campgrounds increasing much. I've seen many posts, on a variety of RV forums, from people who have looked into building new campgrounds. All of them gave up because the unlikelihood of it being profitable, compared to the costs. And all the government hoops they had to jump through and the time it would take to get approvals, weren't worth it.
You might see some expanding or improvements to some existing campgrounds but don't count on it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
X2.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #9

Wait until all these new RV owners try to get reservations in private and state RV parks!

Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
That's for sure. But welcome anyway.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #11

Tough on the weekenders since covid. Many campgrounds only booking every other site . Here in Minnesota haven't had too much trouble reserving a site 2 weeks prior to a date if its a mid week time frame. Still a great getaway. Been camping forever. Wife, myself and 3 kids in a family tent until kids teen years. Then just wife and I, motorcycle and trailer, and 2 man pup tent. Now on 2nd Rockwood couples travel trailer. Miss those older days but comfort is a high priority now. Still like to cook on an open fire when possible. Things will return to normal I hope , but 2020 will not soon be forgotten. Camp On.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #12

2020 the RV industry is seeing yet again another record breaking year. 2020 has seen another 130% increase in RV sales. There is one problem to that. The ratio of campers to campsites has got to be up to at least 15or20 to 1. We found a cabin and 52 acres and we sold our 2018 36' Cherokee around 3 weeks ago. No more reservations is the best thing.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #13
jkoenig24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

Bruce
I wouldn't hold my breath on new campgrounds being built. Chuck Woodbury of www.RVTravel.com has, for YEARS now, advocated the need for more campgrounds. In today's litigious society, it seems there is strong opposition to virtually any new construction. NIMBYism (Not In My Back Yard) is RAMPANT. I think we're actually LOSING campsites as MANY campgrounds convert RV sites to "Camping Cottages" for which park owners can charge more money than they can for an RV site.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Wait until all these new RV owners try to get reservations in private and state RV parks!
An RV dealer in Calgary sold 42 units in one week. An RV dealer in Ontario sold 40 units in one day! The reporter talked to a couple of the new owners and inquired if they had camped before; had made reservations at campgrounds etc.
“RESERVATIONS!? We need reservations to camp? We used to camp with mom and dad and we didn’t need reservations!” Was the response. We may ALL be in for a big surprise next year when we want to hit the road!
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicoll View Post
An RV dealer in Calgary sold 42 units in one week. An RV dealer in Ontario sold 40 units in one day! The reporter talked to a couple of the new owners and inquired if they had camped before; had made reservations at campgrounds etc.
“RESERVATIONS!? We need reservations to camp? We used to camp with mom and dad and we didn’t need reservations!” Was the response. We may ALL be in for a big surprise next year when we want to hit the road!
I always have to make reservations 12 to 18 months in advance. But considering making a site on the farm. I would Love to put it on the river but will settle for a river / mountain view.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #16

Also welcome to the new RVers.

We do have two relatively new campgrounds in our area. Sorely needed. But the one that is at the lake maybe two years old, has already expanded and is booked solid. And that was before COVID.

I wish the state park near here would improve their campground . Instead the state put the money into a horse riding /and camping area for horses trailers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #17

Quote:
That increases my interest in boondocking in national forests and other open land. We haven't, so far, but definitely will on future long trips.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #18

We bought our 2020 Grey Wolf in March and we are currently on our 7th trip so far. Unfortunately our refrigerator crapped out on us this trip. So I guess we are headed back to the dealer. I'm not sure how much Covid had to do with it. We had been looking into this for about a year, had actually decided not to buy, then my wife wanted to look at a Puma, went to a lot to look at a Puma, they had sold the Puma, and ended up buying the Grey Wolf. We've totally enjoyed it so far except for the broken fridge. The campgrounds have been full but I'v had no problems finding a place to go in the areas we've wanted to go. Just not necessarily in the 1st choice of campground.
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote