Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

So sad!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-dep...ered-rv-stolen
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Yes, a sad reminder that we all need to be careful out there, as best we can.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #3

That is friggin awful...
Stark reminder we are all responsible for our own safety and the safety of our loved ones. That is why I choose to exercise my rights and bring firearms every time we camp so that we can protect ourselves if we ever find ourselves in trouble.
borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #4

Awful story ..... Stand Ready.
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by borismkogan View Post
That is friggin awful...
Stark reminder we are all responsible for our own safety and the safety of our loved ones. That is why I choose to exercise my rights and bring firearms every time we camp so that we can protect ourselves if we ever find ourselves in trouble.
I agree before your reply gets pulled.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 09:50 PM   #6

Be careful it’s dangerous out there

https://abcn.ws/326WHLC

Article about couple rving around country murdered in Texas, rig seen crossing into Mexico. What a horrible outcome.
Malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Site Team

Moderator's Note:
Please keep this discussion on track. Reminder of site rules RE: weapons discussions.
General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #8

Homicide in Texas

I just read a sad article about an rving couple found in a shallow grave after being reported missing. They were in A ceader creek fifthwheel. I really hope it wasn't any of our members although no matter still a very terrible out come. My condolences go out to family and friends. Please everyone be safe!

I tried copying a link but the story can be found at the Washington post.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2019, 09:53 AM   #9

I have been to South Padre Island 6-8 times in the last 40 years. I have seen many people (campers and tents) camp on the beaches and in the sand dunes. Some areas are more secluded than others and some are 'over ran' with a massive amount of people. We have never camped on The Island. There is a private campground on the island, but many people choose not to use it, as it is full a lot of the time. There are many secure/walled/private/gated campgrounds alone the Rio Grande Valley. And that is where we have stayed. We stopped going to 'The Valley' when it started being mandatory to have a Passport to cross the border. We decided a few years back to never plan on going back to 'The Valley' for a multiple of reasons. Safety was and is the main concern. Do not think that this event is an isolated incident, it is not.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Photo of suspect

And here's the guy driving the dead couple's truck around....Hopefully someone recognized him. Has those giant holes in his ears too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EIi__EAWoAAbYh8.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	218690  
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
And here's the guy driving the dead couple's truck around....Hopefully someone recognized him. Has those giant holes in his ears too.
LEO's were careful to paint him as a "person of interest" whom they want to question. But based on profiling, I would say they are looking in the right direction.
I am guessing the image is the unsub using the victim's atm card.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #12

One of my co-workers was in the Navy with the guy that was murdered. He considered him and his wife family. So sad!
atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by borismkogan View Post
That is friggin awful...

I totally agree and when camping let's just say that I am adequately prepared to provide for my own safety. A firearm carried while camping is a lot like a seat belt. You have them but don't want to need either one.

People need to give serious consideration to where they choose to camp and do a simple "risk assessment". If the nearest law enforcement is up to 10 times the average urban response time (when you call 911 assuming you have a signal), it makes sense to have something more than a loud voice and a baseball bat.

For those who feel uncomfortable with firearms, at least have an adequate supply of OC spray (And a ball bat). If uncomfortable with that then make sure to camp in areas where law enforcement is able to respond within the normal 6 minutes or less, probably in nice, safe, RV Parks.

Note: I like to camp in areas around my State where there is NO cell coverage. IF a message could be relayed to the nearest Ranger/Sheriff's Deputy/State Trooper, their response to where I camp would be well over an hour. A long time to be unprotected.

Lastly, for anyone who decides that they need or want a firearm to take with them while camping, a couple strong recommendations:

First and foremost, GET SOME TRAINING. Unless you are former military or law enforcement most people aren't familiar with handling firearms. There are classes everywhere that will teach people the necessary safety precautions, handling skills, and most importantly the laws that say when one can or can't use the firearm.

Second, since we're a traveling community make sure you research and UNDERSTAND the laws of the State you will be traveling in. A good resource for that is
https://www.handgunlaw.us/

If you have a Carry Permit this site tells you if it's honored or not. Also had copies of each state's laws on vehicle carry, etc.

Every state has their own laws and it only takes a minute to check and see what's legal and what's not. Best to check before having an encounter alongside the road with a Law Officer who is explaining how you are breaking THEIR law(s).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thumbs up Captured!

The persons of interest connected with the murders of a New Hampshire couple in Texas have been captured in Mexico, according to authorities.

No other details other than their names in article.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The persons of interest connected with the murders of a New Hampshire couple in Texas have been captured in Mexico, according to authorities.

No other details other than their names in article.
Yay glad they caught them
Hemisphere05 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #16

Good i hope they get prosecuted to the maximum sentence.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
Good i hope they get prosecuted to the maximum sentence.
And have to serve their sentence(s) in Mexican Prisons.

Ours will treat them too nice.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2019, 01:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I have been to South Padre Island 6-8 times in the last 40 years. I have seen many people (campers and tents) camp on the beaches and in the sand dunes. Some areas are more secluded than others and some are 'over ran' with a massive amount of people. We have never camped on The Island. There is a private campground on the island, but many people choose not to use it, as it is full a lot of the time. There are many secure/walled/private/gated campgrounds alone the Rio Grande Valley. And that is where we have stayed. We stopped going to 'The Valley' when it started being mandatory to have a Passport to cross the border. We decided a few years back to never plan on going back to 'The Valley' for a multiple of reasons. Safety was and is the main concern. Do not think that this event is an isolated incident, it is not.

Just to clarify, the incident occurred on Padre Island, near Corpus Christi, not South Padre Island, very near the Texas/Mexico border in the Rio Grande Valley. Padre Island (aka North Padre) is a different place than you describe. Still, the international border is an easy few hours drive from where this horrible incident occurred.
I’m not trying to be argumentative; just clarifying. The very similar names of the two locations often cause confusion.
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2019, 04:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosmith View Post
Just to clarify, the incident occurred on Padre Island, near Corpus Christi, not South Padre Island, very near the Texas/Mexico border in the Rio Grande Valley. Padre Island (aka North Padre) is a different place than you describe. Still, the international border is an easy few hours drive from where this horrible incident occurred.
I’m not trying to be argumentative; just clarifying. The very similar names of the two locations often cause confusion.
Thank you for pointing this out.

Bruce
Old 11-07-2019, 06:48 AM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Good, I can keep Padre Island on my 'RV bucket list'! Mexico and and immediate area the area just north of that line on the map separating the two countries (known in most of the world as a 'border') has been deleted from the list. There are plenty of savages in that area to replace the ones they just captured unfortunately.