Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #81

There is another thread here about disk brakes. Search for it and you will get all the info you need.

I had disk brakes installed on my 13,000# unit and there truly is a major improvement. I will never again have an RV without them.
Cost was $2,550 total and the install was done on my driveway. I just sat and watched.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
There is another thread here about disk brakes. Search for it and you will get all the info you need.

I had disk brakes installed on my 13,000# unit and there truly is a major improvement. I will never again have an RV without them.
Cost was $2,550 total and the install was done on my driveway. I just sat and watched.
I think for really heavy rig that might be a good option, when you compare tow vehicle weight to towed rig, in my case with a light trailer not much more then my truck it would be overkill. I think its great that there are safety options like disc brakes available.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #83

Quote:

Who did the install? Just curious in case I decide to do this but loaded my trailer is less than 9500#'s and I have an F350 SCREW SB PSD. I am at a 37% safety margin between what my truck is rated at and what I haul.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Sincere question/clarification; you really feel that strongly about the disc brakes on your camper? I can install it myself, but the cost is high at $1500+/- just for parts. I'm just trying to justify that expense to myself, so your comment really stood out to me. So, the disc brake system really adds that much braking performance?

I would really appreciate your experienced comments on this topic.
I am hardly 'experienced' here. Many are more so.

But I will say that many of the most debated threads on this site sort of.........um.....'amaze' me. Folks will carry on all day about cargo capacity, towing specs, etc. For the big, heavy campers, that is a consideration but towing can be done with a 3/4 ton, I see it all the time. But stopping??? I doubt it. I can tow slowly. But I do NOT want to stop FAST! I am sure I can get up most mountains if the road is paved. Coming down is what scares me. So yeah, I would have spent whatever I had to in order to stop better.

As for this thread and dealers, it's well known that most dealers suck terribly at repair. Yet folks seem totally bent on throwing the baby out with the bathwater and just never buying anything because the repair model in this industry doesn't match their expectations. I've said many times that the auto industry makes 60,000,000 vehicles, and the RV industry makes 375,000 units, yet folks DEMAND that the two models be identical. No argument sways them. So fine! I am going to let them stew in their own juices. I actually DO wish it were like they want, but I realize it isn't and I want to go camping, so I learn how to deal with reality. AND, I lucked out with a local dealer who repairs anything. AND, I blinked twice and I'm out of warranty other than my extended, so warranty is not (and never was) my biggest criteria for worry. Sooner or later, someone is going to have to fix something on this thing on my nickel. Yet warranty is almost the sole reason given for dissing this or that dealer.

I'm not physically able to put on my own disc brakes so I coughed up One Large to have it done. It was expensive. I put it on Visa. LOL .. But I'm very glad I did. Everyone that ever did it says it was worth it.

My four cents.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #85

Wicked1:
I doubt you need disk brakes on that unit. A neighbor has a 5th wheel similar to yours and a conversion kit is not available for it.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #86

Quote:
Wicked1:
I doubt you need disk brakes on that unit. A neighbor has a 5th wheel similar to yours and a conversion kit is not available for it.

Ok sort of figured and I won't be going heavier max I will go on dry lbs is 10,000
Old 03-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I am hardly 'experienced' here. Many are more so.

But I will say that many of the most debated threads on this site sort of.........um.....'amaze' me. Folks will carry on all day about cargo capacity, towing specs, etc. For the big, heavy campers, that is a consideration but towing can be done with a 3/4 ton, I see it all the time. But stopping??? I doubt it. I can tow slowly. But I do NOT want to stop FAST! I am sure I can get up most mountains if the road is paved. Coming down is what scares me. So yeah, I would have spent whatever I had to in order to stop better.

As for this thread and dealers, it's well known that most dealers suck terribly at repair. Yet folks seem totally bent on throwing the baby out with the bathwater and just never buying anything because the repair model in this industry doesn't match their expectations. I've said many times that the auto industry makes 60,000,000 vehicles, and the RV industry makes 375,000 units, yet folks DEMAND that the two models be identical. No argument sways them. So fine! I am going to let them stew in their own juices. I actually DO wish it were like they want, but I realize it isn't and I want to go camping, so I learn how to deal with reality. AND, I lucked out with a local dealer who repairs anything. AND, I blinked twice and I'm out of warranty other than my extended, so warranty is not (and never was) my biggest criteria for worry. Sooner or later, someone is going to have to fix something on this thing on my nickel. Yet warranty is almost the sole reason given for dissing this or that dealer.

I'm not physically able to put on my own disc brakes so I coughed up One Large to have it done. It was expensive. I put it on Visa. LOL .. But I'm very glad I did. Everyone that ever did it says it was worth it.

My four cents.
Your "4 cents" is priceless....

Tags
dealer, warranty