Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2019, 05:11 AM   #61
Former Navy

Warning

Put your seat belt on Tim!
Former Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
The oddest thing I see is somebody actually tuned-in to FM radio. Who does that?

Bruce
The last 3 vehicles I've purchased, only turned on the radio to see if it worked. After that, no point. I enjoy the purrr of the motor. Besides, nothing on a radio but noise pollution.

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
One is all you need, baby.

Tim

i question the need for one to be honest

Old 09-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #64

Cowracer: here is some information you maybe able to use. I purchased a 2002 2500HD Silverado in 2001. Back then Chevrolet did not have a single wheel 1 ton. I really didn't want to go to a dually to haul my slide in truck camper but I was about 150 pounds over weight before loading the camper. I found out from Chevrolet that if I purchased a truck with the Duramax or the 8.1L big block with the Allison transmission that the truck would come with an AAM 11.5 rear axle. All of the rest of the running gear would be 1 ton dually parts. I confirmed this by checking the parts store for items like brakes, u-joints, axles. Everything I checked for the 2500HD had the same part numbers as the 3500 dually. In 2002 the 2500 had a GVWR of 9200 and the 3500 had a GVWR of 11000. Both trucks had the identical axle AAM 11.5 except the 3500 is setup for duals. I checked with GM and the GAWR was 6000 pounds the rating of the 2 rear tires.
I checked with AAM and their GAWR as manufactured for GM is 10,120 pounds.
So I purchased the Silverado with the 8.1L Allison. I had Chevrolet put 1 ton dually springs under it and I did a 19.5 wheel conversion with tires rated at 4900lbs each. When I registered the truck I asked for 10K registration and I am now well within the safety margins of the truck when hauling the camper with my Jeep behind.
I bring this up because RAM/Dodge used the same 11.5 rear axle but with different end splines so it uses different part numbers for the brake system.
You might check to see which rear axle you have, I'll bet it's the AAM 11.5 and check the actual GAWR of the axle because the door jamb sticker rates the axle at what the tire capacity is not axle rating.
8.1pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
How many TV’s were ruined due to overcapacity? Any? How many wrecks due to overcapacity? Not many I bet.

Everyone who got in a wreck due to overcapacity and died as a result, please raise your hand... oh wait.

If you only go by personal testimony, Russian Roulette is completely safe.
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #66
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
The last 3 vehicles I've purchased, only turned on the radio to see if it worked. After that, no point. I enjoy the purrr of the motor. Besides, nothing on a radio but noise pollution.

I mostly listen to news stations on the drive to work. I am a news junkie and I gotta get my fix every day. I rarely listen to music on long drives. Mostly because all my "long drive" vehicles have only had radio, and constant losing signal and hunting thru the dial for something worth listening to is annoying. Besides I find that I can really quiet my mind after a couple hours on the road like some sort of zen trance or something, and I enjoy that calm.

With that said, I did take a long trip for work once a year or so ago in a rented VW Jetta with a USB port. Just playing around, I jacked my USB hard drive into it and found it could play my music collection on the hard drive. Listening to the complete works of Bob Seger while watching the peculiar nothingness of central Illinois roll by was pretty awesome. Now that I have a vehicle that I can do that in... I might take more advantage of it.

No way in hell I am gonna pay for XM radio though.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #67
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
Everyone who got in a wreck due to overcapacity and died as a result, please raise your hand... oh wait.

If you only go by personal testimony, Russian Roulette is completely safe.

Nice quote, but I prefer to define 'Capacity' as "the physical limitations determined by experienced engineers with respect to material strength, sizing and ratings of components, longevity, and a healthy reserve for safety" instead of some arbitrary number thought up by a Governmental flunky solely as a way to classify something into groups for regulatory purposes.

But then again... what do I know about anything.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
I know exactly what’s going on here but first, some observations:
1. Somebody hit you in the head
2. You don’t know Neutral from North
3. You drive (steer) with your left hand so you’re a righty
4. It’s 84 degrees
5. The tank isn’t full so you didn’t buy it yet, or you’ve had it for a day
6. 5Picker loves his Ford
7. You made a LEO Laugh
8. Nomad only listens to the magic radio as we like to call it
9. John5646 is a good photo shopper
10. DBLR is disappointed and once again, Mr. Dan is handing out hints like Halloween Candy
But I know the real answer, you bought your wife a new truck
Awesome post of the day!!!!
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote