Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #1

SOC meter

I want to be able to be able to see how much amp hours (SOC) I have left in my batteries. I've see several different types on the market. It looks like Balmar SmartGauge has an edge on the rest of them. Easy to install & easy to set up. I was wondering if there is any feed back on SmartGauge! Please feel free to email me if you wish@ davtel@dslextreme.com
Though I'm confused about how they actually measure the amount of charge left in you battery bank before you need to charge them!
Dave
snoopy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #2

HimDave, Just as a caution I would not post your email or phone number on a social media site. You might edit your post to remove and ask for people to pm you if they want.. just a suggestion.

I use a Victron 712... https://smile.amazon.com/Victron-Ene...s%2C185&sr=8-3

I like it because I didn’t have to mount any display. All the info goes to my smart phone or tablet via Bluetooth.

They basically work by measuring and recording the amp hours used since the last full charge. Knowing your battery amp hour capacity they calculate the soc of the battery. That is a simple explanation and there are many on here who can tell you more

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #3

Victron does pretty much set the bar quality and feature-wise, but they definitely don't give them away.
Here's a review of a cheaper option that might be worth a look:

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #4

Not sure how the Balmar can do this without a shunt.

Victron is the best in doing my research. It will also network with the Victron Solar controller to do remote voltage sensing. I bought my BMV-712 for $185 shipped.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote