Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #1

Soft floor

I purchased a 3065w Forrest River Windjammer new in 2012 along with the purchase came a lifetime warranty that cover mostly heater, a/c, hotwater heater etc. for as long as you own the camper. You have to have your camper serviced each year to have covered items serviced. The cost is usually a couple hundred dollars. I have enjoyed the camper and as usual have not used it as much as wanted especially this year. Just noticed that about a 4x4 section of the floor in kitchen area really soft. It will need to be replaced. Is this a common problem with forrest river ? The soft section is directly in front of the entry door. A rv repairman, felt like the door was not sealed properly. I have not got any estimates yet, but it has to be replaced. Is this a Harry home owner fix ? or need to take it to a rv shop. Any ideas ?? The roof is inspected by the dealer every year and sealed where necessary, I am fairly certain it was a leaky door. Feel certain Forrest River would not repair it on their dime.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #2

It's a common problem in travel trailers. It's frequently from water intrusion from the door or from underneath near the wheels. Everyone tells you to inspect the roof, but water intrusion from the side seams and underneath the tt is seldom mentioned. Our water intrusion was from failed sealant around the wheel wells underneath the trailer. It could be from the door as they flex during use and get out of plumb. It could also be from leaking plumbing.
You've got a couple of choices. An rv repair shop will probably charge you around $3,000 to repair it. You can find repair videos on YouTube to guide you through the process. You can put a piece of plywood over it and cover it with a rug.
Most travel trailers only have a one year warranty no matter who the manufacturer. So unfortunately, you're on your own.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #3

thanks, I think I can fix it, but you never know till you get into it. This would not be covered by my rv policy would it?
Old 10-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #4

The Factory way to Fix the Soft Floors in a 2012 Windjammer is Totally Remove everything that is sitting on the Floor,"Walls/plumbing/Elect/Heat/" and replace the ENTIRE FLOOR,side to side and front to back! The cost will Not be 3000$ but Much More! Youroo!!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #5

Haven't torn into it yet, it appears to be a spot directly in front of the door. the rest of the area around feels good and solid. It would appear that the water came from around the door. I am hoping I can save the laminate floor, by cutting it and rolling it out of the way, then cut out the damage wood, seal the area and replace the wood, ( sounds easy ) I will get an estimate, and if that is outrageous I will try to repair it myself. You tube video makes it look simple, it would appear that nothing needs to be removed, I think it is limited to the entry hallway only. Of course you will not know till you tear into it.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Haven't torn into it yet, it appears to be a spot directly in front of the door. the rest of the area around feels good and solid. It would appear that the water came from around the door. I am hoping I can save the laminate floor, by cutting it and rolling it out of the way, then cut out the damage wood, seal the area and replace the wood, ( sounds easy ) I will get an estimate, and if that is outrageous I will try to repair it myself. You tube video makes it look simple, it would appear that nothing needs to be removed, I think it is limited to the entry hallway only. Of course you will not know till you tear into it.
The Wood you speak of is 3/16" of luan glued onto Styrofoam! They did away with this "Sandwich Floor" construction in Late 2017 when they changed to 5/8 T and G plywood floors! Youroo!!
Old 10-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The Wood you speak of is 3/16" of luan glued onto Styrofoam! They did away with this "Sandwich Floor" construction in Late 2017 when they changed to 5/8 T and G plywood floors! Youroo!!

Wouldn’t this flooring not suffer from the soft floor issues? My 2013 Vibe has the styrofoam sandwich flooring in it.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:54 PM   #8
MCTroy

Following since we have a small soft in the floor if our 2015 Windjammer. Please update with your repair efforts.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #9

I will do some " explorotory " search next week, to get an idea of what I am dealing with. Plan on rolling up the vinal floorng to take a look.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #10

Any idea if the flooring is glued to the sub floor ? The you tube videos show them just rolling up the flooring to get to the soft area. Thanks
Old 10-30-2020, 03:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Any idea if the flooring is glued to the sub floor ? The you tube videos show them just rolling up the flooring to get to the soft area. Thanks

Just about all just stapled not glued around the edge.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #12

I just replaced a section of flooring in our 2011 Windjammer twin this year. The vinyl floor is not glued to the wood. I used a Dremel vibrating tool to cut out the old luan flooring. Replaced with thicker plywood, then laid the vinyl flooring back over. Solid as a rock now. It wasn't as difficult as I thought and I am by no means a good carpenter.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #13

Many Thanks, that's good to hear. How did you seal the area ? was your repair at the entry door ? You were just able to roll the flooring up to gain access ? Any other advice is helpful.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #14

BAD NEWS, did some probing of the camper floor today. Its about a 8 ft section, that extends under the cabinet next to the fridge. Still do not know the source. To much for me to handle, I am taking it to a small rv dealer in December for a price to repair. He said he can give a break on the price during the off season, as long as I am not in a hurry. Still a shame, just got it paid for couple months back. Can't sell it or trade it like it is. Hope the repair will not break the bank. Really took pain to take care of the roof. Stay tuned.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #15
MCTroy

Charles Firth thanks for the update. Sorry to hear this is going to be an issue. Can I ask a silly question? How soft was the floor? I am wondering if it was very noticable and actually felt like the floor was moving or dipping?
We have one small spot that I occasionally notice when walking in the hall. It just feels like the vinyl flooring is loose. Maybe that is my wishful thinking...
Old 11-02-2020, 11:12 PM   #16

Quote:
BAD NEWS, did some probing of the camper floor today. Its about a 8 ft section, that extends under the cabinet next to the fridge. Still do not know the source.
Sorry about the news. However, you really need to find out where the leak is coming from or you'll just have the same problem down the road. If it is the door (and that's a common source of water intrusion), aligning it and caulk should do it. The rv shop may be able to determine where the water is coming from. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Charles Firth thanks for the update. Sorry to hear this is going to be an issue. Can I ask a silly question? How soft was the floor? I am wondering if it was very noticable and actually felt like the floor was moving or dipping?
We have one small spot that I occasionally notice when walking in the hall. It just feels like the vinyl flooring is loose. Maybe that is my wishful thinking...
When I first noticed it, the floor felt spongy i thought it was the 2 floor mats in front of the door. After removing the floor mats, you can actually see the floor joists, and the floor is sagging. The vinyl flooring has become separated from the sub floor. That was just inside the front door area. I assume the door had been leaking, I would not let yours go any more, that subfloor just soaks up the moisture and spreads it. Now instead of a 4x4 section, more area has moisture damage. I guess its a common problem with them, i always checked the roof for leaks and made certain it was sealed. I always thought the roof causes the water problems.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Sorry about the news. However, you really need to find out where the leak is coming from or you'll just have the same problem down the road. If it is the door (and that's a common source of water intrusion), aligning it and caulk should do it. The rv shop may be able to determine where the water is coming from. Good luck.
Agree, really need to find the source of water or the problem will repeat itself. Always thought the roofs were the culprit , never thought of the front door. I have the under belly covered, but I guess water could get in... stay tuned.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #19
MCTroy

Thanks for the advice. I will have our floor checked out by our dealership service. Good luck on your floor.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #20

soft floor update ;

Well, a cabinet maker was able to repair the floor at the entry way, came out looking pretty good and most of all sturdy, not spongy..used water proof tongue and groove laminate..Now I have more soft spots in the living area and the bedroom...He did find the source of the water, inside the fender well, where the body meets the frame, was not caulked, you could put your hand through the opening, it is now calked. Just driving it through rain water would force it into the under belly, where it stays. I have a underbody cover..so it cannot escape..now I have to get more repaired..really stuck, cant sell it or trade it like that ...My first repair was just under 2 grand.. gonna be hard to put much more money in it..its a 2012 windjammer purchase new...stay tuned...

Tags
floor