Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #21

Agreed, a boat repair person would have expertise in fiberglass patching, maybe more difficult to locate such a person depending on where you live.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb1073 View Post
So I went to check on my trailer on my way home from work today like I usually do about once a month when its in winter storage, and came across this.

I'm going to guess this won't be a cheap fix (but yes I do have insurance). Talked to the storage place but the manager isn't in until Monday to check security camera footage. They also wouldn't give me the contact info of the person in the spot next to me either.

So, fellow RV'ers, how bad is it? What am I in for?

Mike, I'm also in the burbs of Chicago. My Roo was hit some years ago. I took mine to Earhart's in Mt. Prospect or Des Plaines. They did a fabulous job, which included new decals. May want to check them out. Insurance worked with them too.

Good luck.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #23
Site Team

The site team has moved several off-topic posts to their own thread that is better suited for such

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #24

EZ fix at a quality body shop.
HAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #25
tootall1

From tootall1:
I just read an article in RV life and wanted to respond to the newer RVer’s that are out hear on the road with a great group of citizens, some of us are full time and some are coming out with their families, isn’t this great.
RV Life was telling the new people how to get around the campground owners rule of no
repairs on a site.
This is his campground and he can put whatever rules out there that he wants but when you tell people how to get around these rules that is wrong and I am guessing that your
parents taught you right from wrong.
In my opinion ask the campground for permission and I believe most would have a spot
for this activity. If not ask where you can take your rig to get this problem resolved.
This is a great life out hear for those that want to join us on the road.
tootall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #26
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
I've had the wonderful opportunity to watch owners (newbies I guess) take up to 20+ minutes and around 10-15+ tries to get their unit in their space at our storage facility!!!!!! Luckily I have boats on both sides of my unit.
Tyvek Tape would be my go to in this case. it sticks when wet and cold.

I would MUCH rather have them take that amount of time and tries to get it right as opposed to just going until they feel the bump
Old 01-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack522 View Post
Mike, I'm also in the burbs of Chicago. My Roo was hit some years ago. I took mine to Earhart's in Mt. Prospect or Des Plaines. They did a fabulous job, which included new decals. May want to check them out. Insurance worked with them too.

Good luck.
Thanks so much, I will keep this in mind as things progress! I really appreciate you reaching out. I'm located in the far NW burbs, near the Fox Lake/Chain o Lakes area. So there are a LOT of boat places up here, maybe there is a reputable one. Some people also mentioned them coming to my storage facility, which I'm fine with taking my trailer anywhere as well but having them come out would be great.

So I went to the facility yesterday, the manager was very helpful. He took pictures, opened a claim with their insurance for me, and I talked to an adjuster already last night. They're reviewing the security camera footage to see if they can find anything.

So that's where I'm at right now. Just in a holding pattern.

@Roberte52 That was me at this facility when I first got there, to back my trailer into my spot I almost have to jackknife in, but I will take 30 mins and get out of my truck 20 times to get it right rather than hit someone.

The thing I love about the RV/camping community also is there is never a shortage of people willing to help out. This past summer we went up to Green Lake, WI and they had some back-in sites. This trailer, being 5ft longer than my last one (this one is 26ft), was harder to back in. I had taken the day off of work to go up early and set the camp site up so my wife and kids could just show up and everything would be done after school. When I saw how tight the spot was I got nervous, and walked over and asked a guy if he would help spot me. He grabbed another guy from another site and they both spent probably 15 mins helping me get into the spot perfectly. Love the community and everyone in it!
mikeb1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #28

Can be repaired!

In Nov 2017, I managed to get too close to a storage building that put a hole in my Cedar Creek larger than what happened to you. It was beautifully repaired and you can’t tell anything ever happened. My dealer’s body repair folks even replaced and matched the damaged decals. Wasn’t cheap to repair, but insurance paid for all but a few hundred bucks.
Jmat510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #29

Full coverage insurance should replace the entire panel.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Thanks so much, I will keep this in mind as things progress! I really appreciate you reaching out. I'm located in the far NW burbs, near the Fox Lake/Chain o Lakes area. So there are a LOT of boat places up here, maybe there is a reputable one. Some people also mentioned them coming to my storage facility, which I'm fine with taking my trailer anywhere as well but having them come out would be great.

So I went to the facility yesterday, the manager was very helpful. He took pictures, opened a claim with their insurance for me, and I talked to an adjuster already last night. They're reviewing the security camera footage to see if they can find anything.

So that's where I'm at right now. Just in a holding pattern.

@Roberte52 That was me at this facility when I first got there, to back my trailer into my spot I almost have to jackknife in, but I will take 30 mins and get out of my truck 20 times to get it right rather than hit someone.

The thing I love about the RV/camping community also is there is never a shortage of people willing to help out. This past summer we went up to Green Lake, WI and they had some back-in sites. This trailer, being 5ft longer than my last one (this one is 26ft), was harder to back in. I had taken the day off of work to go up early and set the camp site up so my wife and kids could just show up and everything would be done after school. When I saw how tight the spot was I got nervous, and walked over and asked a guy if he would help spot me. He grabbed another guy from another site and they both spent probably 15 mins helping me get into the spot perfectly. Love the community and everyone in it!
Frist question, ANY chance you have the piece that was broke off????

Old saying with if Fg junkies, Save the pieces. If not, Get this:

https://www.amazon.com/d/Automotive-...air/B000BO9NOO

Fg is easy, I have been driving fiberglass cars since 1964 and have repaired all kinds of damage from ripped off fenders when my sister somehow managed to rip it off when she backed over a tree and it got hung under the front drivers fender. Its not hard, simple follow the directions and be patient and at the same time be smooth and quick as it can set up fast.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #31

Fiberglass is probably the easiest thing in the world to repair. I can't believe anyone would replace an entire side for a little thing like that.

That's why folks get fiberglass boats.

That hole can just be patched over and repainted. If you can put tape over the hole, you can do a fiberglass patch.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #32
Road Trip 42

Yep been there...not fun

Be sure to check inside to see if they damaged any of the wall. On my 3008w 2015 Rockwood Windjammer I discovered damage that was never reported by previous owner just carefully hidden. The inside wall was actually crushed along with the aluminum framing on the passenger side Vnose. mice were getting in and that's where they were coming in so I had to fill the void in the floor where the plywood was destroyed. wall was caved in. You couldn't see the damage from the outside but when I looked inside that's where I could see the damage and it was inside underneath the cabinets behind a false wall. Sorry to hear of your damage that's just Plum dirty pool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_135835.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	194434  
RoadTrip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #33

Things have been so crazy, I completely forgot to come back and provide an update.

So the storage facility (which I have since moved out of) said they have no cameras that captured anything, so I was up the creek with my $500 deductible. The good news is the repair shop said this is an easy fix and is only cosmetic, so they will repair the fiberglass and decals and trim and I'll be on my way.

I have to say, took FOREVER for the insurance company and repair shop to agree on a price, apparently these kinds of repairs are not common so they went back and forth for a bit.

Some good news though is that I got a call from my insurance company yesterday saying they were mailing me the check for the repairs, but that their system screwed up somehow and they paid my $500 deductible in the check to me, and since it was their fault they were honoring their mistake so I can keep the $500 deductible and I really have no deductible to pay, I'll just be subjected to it next time. SCORE!

So, it will remain to be seen how the repairs come out, should be done in the next couple of weeks, but hopefully will be done with all of this shortly.

Thanks again for all of the helpful replies and info!
mikeb1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #34
Camper

Thanks for the update. Now do not forget to post a picture of the repair after it is finished.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #35
D W

Quote:
Some good news though is that I got a call from my insurance company yesterday saying they were mailing me the check for the repairs, but that their system screwed up somehow and they paid my $500 deductible in the check to me, and since it was their fault they were honoring their mistake so I can keep the $500 deductible and I really have no deductible to pay, I'll just be subjected to it next time. SCORE!
Glad it turned out good for you, but believe me, the Insurance Company will get their $500 back down the road, one way or another.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #36

That's great news about the repair and the deductible. Sucks about the storage place, though. Sounds more like they were trying to avoid drama and give you the run around, than anything else. In one post, you said that they opened a claim with THEIR insurance company. Did you ever follow up with that? I'm sure that with waivers you signed and everything else, it would be more trouble than it's worth to get paid by their insurance company than your own, but...
You better believe I would be on Yelp, google reviews, and every other online site (especially any local facebook pages) giving a review of this storage facility and how when my very expensive camper was damaged, they did nothing to help me even figure out who did it.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #37

Hope it all works out. I am from the same area (i boat on the chain). Were did you end up bring your camper to get fixed?

Tags
trailer