Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

South Texas Camping Help

I made a post on Central US forum for some advice on campgrounds in South Texas and got no responses. Thought I would give it a try here. We want to spend Jan thru Apr exploring Texas. WE could use advice on Galveston area, Rio Grand Valley, and Big Bend Area. We are not looking for a Resort with every option imaginable just nice reasonable campgrounds. Any help on good or places to avoid would be appreciated. We will also visit Hill Country but were there last year and are familiar with that area.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #2

We spent a couple of nights at Dellanera RV Park on Galveston Beach. It's a nice park on the ocean that gets good Trip Advisor reviews. It was nice sleeping at night with the sound of the surf.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #3

We enjoy Jamaica Beach RV park on Galveston. In the winter.
johncavh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #4

If you're willing to volunteer 24 hours per week, check out the Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Lower_Rio_..._involved.html

In return you get a full hookup rv site.

Safe and happy travels
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

Thanks to DSurette and johncavh for your suggestions.These are two parks I,ve looked at around Galveston. I'll keep these in mind. Thanks also to Chief T but we don't want to stay in one spot for that long. There is a lot of Texas to see. We want to move to different areas every couple of weeks.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #6

In Galveston... Dellanera, Jamaca Beach, or Galveston Island State Park ( bay side, the ocean side still hasn't fully recovered from a couple of hurricanes)

I understand the KOA on Padre Island is nice and I think a tour boat departs from their dock.

No suggestions for the valley, although we camped in Del Rio (oldest winery in TX and the Whitehead museum were interesting), but I can't remember where we camped.

Near Big Bend, we stayed at the Lost Alaskan RV park in Alpine. There are closer rv parks on the west side of the park, but the roads are not too rv friendly.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

I would recommend that you get reservations, as South Texas has thousands of Winter Texans during that period. That said, the Rio Grande Valley has approximately 500 RV parks catering to all of our winter visitors.
rchbih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #8

Maverick Ranch RV Park is a very nice campground located near Big Bend Natiinal Park. It's part of a golf resort, which is strangely located in the desert, pretty much in the middle on nowhere. The closest town is Terlingua, which is largely a ghost town, and the site of an annual chilli competition. We spent a week there exploring the area.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #9

We stay at Dad's RV Park in Victoria, TX. Nice park, good people. Not a bad location for exploring Eastern Texas. Day trips to Houston, Corpus Christi, Port Aransis, and even San Antonio. (Can't miss the River Walk in San Antonio)
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #10

Just spent 8 nights a Padre Balli which is walking distance to the beach new 50 amp area old 30 amp but enjoyed our time.
jeffro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
USAF Ret

South texas questions

You also mentioned Big Bend National Park, we visited the area a few years back and we stayed at the Lost Alaskan RV Park in Alpine, TX. Prolly an hour drive from the National Park but there are other things to see and do there as well. There is an observatory nearby that had a visitation night where we got to peer through a number of rather large telescopes, there is an old Army Fort to poke around in, Marfa (and the lights) and then the town of Alpine itself. My wife and I had the BEST Mexican food we've ever had (and I am old!) there and there is a very cool free (at the time it was anyway) museum at the local college that we really enjoyed as well. Look it up on line and see what you think, probably less crowded than the coast, but I can't speak for the weather in winter as we were there in the late spring.
RandyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #12

I know you said you did not want references for the Hill Country but I could not help but tell you to consider the following:

Pecan Park Riverside RV Park - Scenic RV Park Along the San Marcos River in Texas Hill Country

It is located in San Marcos on the San Marcos river and we loved the place.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #13

We stayed at VIP - La Feria R V Park in La Feria between McAllen and Harlingen in Jan-Mar. The people are great. This is a 55 and over park however if you qualify I highly recommend it. We are going back this Dec for 4 months. Rates are reasonable.
mecapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #14

We used Brazos Bend State Park for the Galveston area. We like the Texas state parks.
Seminole Canyon State Park is a good 3 day stay before Big bend. Rio Grand Valley the part with Ele. is basely a parking lot. It is easy to do a week in Big Bend, great park.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #15

The Lost Alaskan RV park in Alpine, North of Big Ben is nice.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #17

You can camp on the beach all along the Gulf of Mexico. Just arrive before dark to make sure you are in a driveable spot. We winter in McAllen, TX at Paradise Park, Inc on Hackberry Avenue. Check out the website. Not fancy, but lots of activities. Pool, hot tub, pickleball, shuffleboard, a great hall with a craft room. Can rent a space by day, week, month or season. Very reasonable, close to everything and gated. Easy access to Mexico. Waco has nice COE campgrounds, Port Aransas has a nice county park campground. The state parks are pricey, as you need a park pass plus camping fee. Big Bend is great, just watch the weather.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #18

Rio Grande area

Seminole Canyon- near DelRio is very beautiful, Try to get a site up on top.

Never have more dogs than you have windows.

rottnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #19

We like Llano Grande Resort, Mercedes TX. Great place, minutes from Mexico..

https://www.llanogranderesort.com/amenities/
grouchmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #20

Texas campgrounds

Generally Texas River Authority campgrounds are some of the best campgrounds with large sites and reasonably priced.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping