Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Stabilizers?

Hi,
Well, here are a couple of newbie questions. I will be storing the travel trailer on my blacktop driveway. Is it advisable to put the stabilizer jacks down during storage? I also am trying to decide if I should invest in a cover. I see an awful lot of them without covers but I also see many that look pretty rough after a few years. What is the life expectancy of a cover? Thanks . Michael.
mjdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #2

I always put my stabilizers down when storing for the winter. Frankly I don't really think it matters.
I bought a cover and used it for three winters before it became so tattered it didn't provide much cover. The fabric deteriorated and would tear under the slightest stress. I moved my trailer to a seasonal campground this fall with plans to cover it. The residents there advised against covering due to covers holding in moisture. I decided to give it a try.
As for looking rough, my experience is this is caused more by neglecting maintenance than from not being covered. Regular washing and waxing along with maintaining seals is the key.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Never put my stabs down, really no benefit unless your using the camper.

Covers, maybe get 3 years out of one depending on what type of seasonal weather you have. To cover or not cover, many responses will be split down the middle on this one.
Besides protecting the roof (most important) it does help preserve the seals, caulking and paint finish by covering BUT as mentioned, if you are good about periodic washing, waxing and lubing seals, you'll be fine.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #4

Regular Maintenance

When you say, "lubing of seals", can you give me a quick run down list of "seals" that should be lubed on a regular basis? I don't want to miss any!
Thanks !
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Primarily the black seals around all your slides, then the weatherstripping seals in all your cargo doors. Use a product to keep them supple and free from dry rotting.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Hydraulic Stabilizers - I say no jacks down all winter.
I do say exercise the system a few times would be good maintenance.
The book says that you must not get any buldup on the exposed leveler shafts which may damage the seals. No ust or dirt buildup.
Leaving them down all winter is just asking for some build up.

OR

You can come down to Arizona and spend the winter here....
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #7

I am leaving mine down (manual sissor jacks) for the winter. Help spread the snow load and you never know what kinds of winds can kick up during the winter storms. If i need to cut them off in the spring to get them retracted i will not be doing it again!
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote