Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
I believe BOTH should be able to hook everything up by theirselves, and drive/park whatever your rig is. What if one of you got hurt, or was sick? Most women are more capable than many men give them credit for.
I agree with this. Although for us I do all the driving and backing. I taught DH how o drive and back the rig so he can be a relief driver on long trips or handle the rig in case of emergency. This will come in handy with the long ride to disney this year.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #22

No pictures? Didn't happen. You're off the hook.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
No pictures? Didn't happen. You're off the hook.
Alas, some do exist. Just none of the sunken tire or camper to truck contact. I thought of it, I was just too mad and embarrassed at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2679822560.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	34403   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-469591333.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	34404   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2695934764.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	34405  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Alas, some do exist. Just none of the sunken tire or camper to truck contact. I thought of it, I was just too mad and embarrassed at the time.
Looks soft out there. We have been having way too much rain in the northeast. 25 feet of tracks washed out in Utica, NY
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Uh, those pics just show someone went into the grass on your spot, it doesnt prove that someone was you. How do we know it wasn't the fella who checked out the morning you came in?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #26
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
I agree with this. Although for us I do all the driving and backing. I taught DH how o drive and back the rig so he can be a relief driver on long trips or handle the rig in case of emergency. This will come in handy with the long ride to disney this year.
I do all the driving too. I get car sick if I don't drive, especially if my DH is driving.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #27

My wife can hitch up on her own as well (including the WDH). We take turns taking off of work and getting ready so we can camp more often.

I do the backing in but I do it best when I just shut up and listen to her. Just ask her and she will tell you.

One of my biggest fears is getting stuck. When I was still tent camping a saw someone trying to get thier camper unstuck. Not much transmission left in thier truck when they were done and who knows what it did to the frame of thier trailer.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
My wife can hitch up on her own as well (including the WDH). We take turns taking off of work and getting ready so we can camp more often.

I do the backing in but I do it best when I just shut up and listen to her. Just ask her and she will tell you.

One of my biggest fears is getting stuck. When I was still tent camping a saw someone trying to get thier camper unstuck. Not much transmission left in thier truck when they were done and who knows what it did to the frame of thier trailer.
My wife is getting there. She knows most of the steps to hooking up. We really need to work on getting a checklist (for BOTH of us, really!). But, she's pulled the campers in a variety of scenarios (out of a campground, stopping at her parents (side roads) and then onto home (highways)). She just hasn't backed it up yet.

As for almost getting stuck, I'll be honest - I was happy that my truck outmatches my camper AND I had 4-wheel drive. No telling what would have happened if I had a smaller truck or just 2-wheel drive; of course, it could have been just fine.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Oh, hey- after yesterday's mess, I left my truck keys in the ignition after unhitching until tonight when we went for a grocery run. Helpful neighbor hooked me up even after I had to admit that I apparently don't have jumper cables in the truck. Argh!
Speaking of laughing. About 2 weeks after getting back from the trip, I found my jumper cables in the truck. Yep, I had them with me- just forgot where I'd put them.

AND.. even more interesting. That trip was in Ohio at a Thousand Trails park. That neighbor who helped jump me was a full timer. Fast forward to about a month later, we're now in New Jersey at another Thousand Trails park- low and behold, we just saw that the same neighbor is here!

Just for kicks, I'm thinking of asking him if he can come jump my truck... see if he can remember me.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Speaking of laughing. About 2 weeks after getting back from the trip, I found my jumper cables in the truck. Yep, I had them with me- just forgot where I'd put them.

AND.. even more interesting. That trip was in Ohio at a Thousand Trails park. That neighbor who helped jump me was a full timer. Fast forward to about a month later, we're now in New Jersey at another Thousand Trails park- low and behold, we just saw that the same neighbor is here!

Just for kicks, I'm thinking of asking him if he can come jump my truck... see if he can remember me.
gotta love the small world of camping. I think you should show up with a couple of beers ad a set of jumper cables. Ask him which one he would prefer.

Speaking of small worlds, we met some pretty cool neighbors at our home park (sycamore lodge)in march. Without discussing it, we showed up for Father's Day weekend. Guess who our neighbors were again. yup the same group. pretty cool, spent the whole weekend hanging out catching up. we now have new camping buddies.