Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
It varies by state. Florida has a day-use fee but charges campers only for site rent. Georgia has a day use fee. Campers have to pay it, in addition to site rent, but they pay the day-use fee only once per reservation. Both have annual pass options for the day-use fee.

All camping reservations must be made online and it's rare that you don't have to pay a reservation fee for doing so. The two major reservation systems are recreation.gov for (most, not all) federal camp grounds and reserveamerica.com for (many, not all) state parks. ReserveAmerica includes other sites in their reservation system, including some counties and, I think, private sites.
Yep, what you say is correct about state parks in Florida. We are right down the road from you in Ocala, and this will be our second time going, in August, to TopSail Hill Preserve in Santa Rosa in the Panhandle here in Florida. My wife and I are both retired and we found out that we can get the sites for 1/2 price. So that's a great perk for us! Camp on!
Old 04-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #22

State Park Fees Plus Vehicle Entry Fees

We recently stayed, (9/20), @ Cherry Hill State Park in Denver Colorado for 7 days and had to pay $10 a day vehicle entry fee per day, plus camping fees. Given the option of buying an annual pass for $80, I chose the annual pass that allows free entry to all Colorado State Parks for 1 year. (looks good in windshield) We had made plans before Covil-19 to stay and explore more, see the mountains and go into Utah, but cut our visit short after learning of all the restrictions and closures.

May return to Colorado before pass expires should life return to normal again. We try to camp @ National Parks as much as possible using my Senior Pass and no extra vehicle fees.

cruisin
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
What pray tell is an "accessory fee" ?
Price-gouging
Old 04-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1stTimer View Post
... My wife and I are both retired and we found out that we can get the sites for 1/2 price. ...
Having qualified only recently, I forgot about that. Seniors also qualify for discounts in Georgia. It may be applied only at the gate as a credit.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:09 AM   #25

Varies by park and state. Nickerson State Park (on Cape Cod) is $22/night for Mass. residents, and $75/night for out-of-state residents. And this price is for zero hook-ups.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #26

state parks

Quote:
Having qualified only recently, I forgot about that. Seniors also qualify for discounts in Georgia. It may be applied only at the gate as a credit.
so do you have to be a Georgia resident in order to receive the 1/2 price discount there? Or do they reciprocate with the state of Florida and offer it to us Floridians, too? Thanks for the info!
Old 04-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1stTimer View Post
so do you have to be a Georgia resident in order to receive the 1/2 price discount there? Or do they reciprocate with the state of Florida and offer it to us Floridians, too? Thanks for the info!
I'm Floridian and got the discount. I don't think it's because I'm Floridian.

Just call any park directly and ask the office staff.

Edit: they knew I wasn't from Georgia.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #28

Quote:
I'm Floridian and got the discount. I don't think it's because I'm Floridian.

Just call any park directly and ask the office staff.

Edit: they knew I wasn't from Georgia.
Same experience here. I made reservations months in advance with no mention of a senior discount. When I arrived from Virginia, they asked if either of us was 62 or older, and credited the discount back to my card.
Oddly, NC state parks also give me a senior discount, but my home state of Virginia does not.
Virginian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Same experience here. I made reservations months in advance with no mention of a senior discount. When I arrived from Virginia, they asked if either of us was 62 or older, and credited the discount back to my card.
Oddly, NC state parks also give me a senior discount, but my home state of Virginia does not.
Was it 50%? I don't recall.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #30

20%

Quote:
Was it 50%? I don't recall.
I just looked back to see, and it was 20%.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #31
Wanderluster

Every state park and every national park is different. There is no consistency whatsoever. Even among the national parks, they are different from each other. The only way to know for sure is to go to each park's website, or call.
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #32

The camping fee should cover the day use fee at campgrounds.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #33

DC

Accessory fee.

I was shocked when we made arrangements for a Texas park.

The bill was almost $200 for three nights. They charged for every person regardless of age. The cars and persons per day. The site was water and electric.

I just pitched the bill last week. I think it was the most we have ever paid.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgstakes View Post
I think I'm in the right area to ask this question.

When going to a state park or national park and there is a fee for a day pass, camping, etc.

Do you pay (if camping) only the camping fee? or the day use fee & camping fee?

How does all that work??
Sometimes, if you have a camping reservation, you are not required to pay an entrance fee. Sometimes, you are required to pay an entrance fee. Some county and state parks also charge a daily use fee that you are required to pay every day you are in the park.

You need to read the payment instructions carefully. The best thing to do is camp for free (dispersed) or at low cost Natl Forest CGs nearby, and buy a week long pass for the park.

Senior Pass (BLM, NPS, COE, USFS) or an annual pass will get you into the park free (after paying for the pass) and 1/2 off camping fees.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #35
Retired Army MSG!

In SC if you go for the day you will pay anywhere from 3-8 dollars per person in your vehicle. They do offer a yearly passport for around 75 bucks or so.
lazyjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #36

In Georgia you pay both. You can get an annual pass for $50.00. You will pay $5.00/day otherwise.
agellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #37

For my Georgia State Park campground reservation last month they only charged me the $5 for the week.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgstakes View Post
I think I'm in the right area to ask this question.

When going to a state park or national park and there is a fee for a day pass, camping, etc.

Do you pay (if camping) only the camping fee? or the day use fee & camping fee?

How does all that work??
In Washington state parks you either pay the nightly camping fee which also includes day use within same park or pay just a day use fee if your not going to camp...but if you want to visit multiple parks for day use then buy a discovery pass for 30.00 it's good for 1 year, also can be switched between 2 different vehicles (but cannot be used in more than one vehicle in the same park.).. if you pull a toad, buy the discovery pass if you want to take the toad to explore nearby day use only parks while your camping rig stays at camp. Discovery pass can be purchased at any sporting goods counter or online
Zhankat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:22 AM   #39

National and State park fees

I strongly recommend the National Park Pass, even if you aren't old enough for the Sr. deal, it's a money saver if you are going to several states. Those fees can add up!

As far as state parks, they vary. Here in VA, there are entrance fees, for example- Sky Meadows is nearby, and they now charge $10 for day use- just hiking. It went up a few years ago, and I think it's outrageous, as a state and local tax payer. But, that's just me.

I'd say be prepared to pay and if it's free, that's a good day!
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #40

We buy state park passes for the states where we book state park campsites or plan day visits. We have Michigan and North Dakota this year. Have done Texas in other years, for example. State park passes are used to fund the parks in most states. We have a senior national park pass as well. A must have!

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote