Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #21

Good suggestions given above. Travel lightly and you ll find out the necessities after each trip
We found a small night stand type lamp and 12' or so electrical cord(length to reach outlet and positioning of lamp) for evening lighting and reading. Fans - be it a box fan for outside or small individual desk top fans for inside/outside use
A good flash light and storage totes to fit your needs and organization
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #22

I studied the entire Camping World website/ probably 100 pages or so of stuff. There were alot of things I never heard of, knew that I needed, or explained things to me that I didn't know about. Great reference guide.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #23
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
One two quart pot.
One 12 inch electric skillet.
Coleman Road trip grill.
Coffee pot.
Toaster.

If I can not cook it with the above it's time to eat out.
And according to the picture, a BUD LIGHT is essential!

(Ah, late to the game again!)

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #24

I would go to Campingworld.com first to get an idea of pricing and choices. And, then go to Amazon and get it for a lower price in most cases. If you have a camping world hear you, once you know the price difference, go there and shop, great fun! I recommend joining the Good Sam club from Camping World, the savings and coupons, free stuff etc. is well worth it. You get a discount at campgrounds but I boondock most of the time and have never used it for that.
Walmart also has most of the essentials in there RV section.
As far as what you need, what kind of camping are you planning on doing?
Boondocking? Campgrounds with all the hookups? Campgrounds without any hookups?
Electricity is really nice to have while camping, you can use the holding tanks for water use.
How much money do you have to spend now?
I will give suggestions on must have if you think you will need them, and alternate suggestions you probably have lying around.
First thing to have, a notepad with a few pens! If something comes up write it down! Need to get, need to fix, upgrades and enhancements.

The special water hoses are not needed for now unless you plan on leaving it hooked up. A normal water hose will work to fill the fresh tank.
An extension cord for your power is a must if you plan on using it on your trip, not cheap but you will use it, and adapters like others have said, you can get really good ones at Home Depot cheap.
You can use lengths of 2x6 or 2x8 for leveling if you have some lying around, dont need to be the full length several 18 inches long or so will work.
The sewer hose they give you is crappy, but it will work if you just plan on dumping at a station, for now.
TP, walmart RV TP or Scotts at the grocery store, look at the label it has to say for use in RV.
Level, you can get by with a torpedo level just set on the floor of the camper. I would plan on getting the big one that goes accross the front and the smaller ones for toungue height.
Brake controller, DO NOT GO CHEAP! I did... Regret it, bought a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 and absolutely love it! Wish I did that years ago!
Good hitch system, there are a bunch out there, do some research online.
Wheel chocks are a must, you can make your own, I did 14 years ago and still use them.
If you want a generator, there are a bunch of posts on that in here.

You want everything in the camper that you need so you are not have to take stuff in the house, then in the camper. It will take time unless you have the money to buy everything now, which can run a couple grand, not including upgrades.
I highly recommend your first night in the camper is in the driveway. Like you would use it on your first trip away. Just plug into electric, or everything. Use the pump, water heater, fridge, take a shower, use the pathroom, the AC, everything. Run on just the battery overnight see how it does etc.
And have a ball!!!
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #25

Throw away rubber gloves.
Tools.
Small air compressor (make sure it will exceed the pressure you need).
Grill tools.
Paper plates.
Charcoal grill. I have the Aussie from Lowes/Home Depot.
Wheel checks and leveling boards.
TP.
Good cooler.
Camp chairs. I like director chairs.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #26
Cyber Phrenologist

Stop here and rest a minute.

The wife and I are former backpackers. In that situation, if you walk 20 miles into the back country and realize you have no toilet paper, then you have a problem. Which can be compounded if you don't know for sure what poison ivy looks like.

But this is RV camping. If you realize you need something you don't have, then you can

1. Borrow from a neighbor (or "rent" in exchange for hamburgers or beer)
2. Improvise or do without. You have an RV, you will not die of exposure.
3. Drive into town and get what you need.

On a few of our first trips we always wound up at Walmart. Once we needed a blanket. Another we decided we couldn't live without a toaster.

So take some cash with you . It will be OK. Really.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #27

You need a tablecloth for the picnic table. And don't pick up those cheap ones - get the flannel backed ones. They will last. And while getting the tablecloth, be sure to pick up the clips that keep it from blowing away. You might also check out some outside lights for your awning and the clips to attach these. You will also most likely need an extension cord to plug these up to the side of your rig. Marshmallow/hot dog sticks and the fixings to make s'mores. Fat wood or fire starter sticks for the campfire are nice too. And don't forget a citronella candle to put on the picnic table. A pop-up laundry bag is also nice - doubles to bring the dirty laundry in and take the clean back outside (we line ours with a plastic bag). If you can, pick up one of those outdoor carpets (either from Camping World or Walmart). These come with a mat to place in front of your steps - less tracking of the outdoors indoors. A broom along with a dustpan that will clip onto the broom handle, and a foam/squeegee type mop. And a couple of clips to attach to the bathroom wall to hold these.

Of course, a lot of us have been camping for years and have accumulated all of "the necessities" over time. The most important of all is to have fun & enjoy your new rig.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #28

Command hooks

Get multiple sizes of the outdoor command hooks to hold everything from keys to towels inside. Be sure they are outside rated - indoor ones cannot take the heat when the rv is not in use.
matteib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #29

I keep a blow dryer, curling iron, and hair/bath products in camper all season. We also have a small toaster oven that our kids used for pizza rolls and a crock pot for meals to be ready when we return from our daily adventures. Sun screen/bug protector/tooth brush/paste/deod/everything you use at home but maybe smaller amounts.
You will figure it out as you go. Keep paper and pen handy for lists of needs and camp near a Walmart. lol
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #30
happy camper

Hmmm... My answer depends on your answer:

Are you Camping or are you Glamping?

If you're Camping, then all of the suggestions mentioned here are good ones.

If you're Glamping you need to add:
  • a plush memory-foam mattress topper for the bed
  • super-nice luxurious bath soaps and body washes, lotions and shampoos
  • eye shades and ear plugs for an uninterrupted night's sleep (Unless you like binge woken up by the sounds of the forest. Or your neighbor starting up their diesel pickup truck at 5am... )
  • anti-gravity lounge chairs -- the kind with the cup-holder on one side and a tray-table on the other
  • a bag of assorted chocolate candy-bars, so you can up your S'mores game. (Heath bars, peppermint patties, anything with caramel...)

Have fun, whichever camping style you choose!
Mary Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
And according to the picture, a BUD LIGHT is essential!

(Ah, late to the game again!)
A happy cook is a good cook......
Old 06-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
Attachment 111756

2012 F350 CC SRW 6.7
2012 Sabre 34-REQS-6
Now yer talkin the right list!!!
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #33
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ellen View Post
Hmmm... My answer depends on your answer:

Are you Camping or are you Glamping?

If you're Camping, then all of the suggestions mentioned here are good ones.

If you're Glamping you need to add:
  • a plush memory-foam mattress topper for the bed
  • super-nice luxurious bath soaps and body washes, lotions and shampoos
  • eye shades and ear plugs for an uninterrupted night's sleep (Unless you like binge woken up by the sounds of the forest. Or your neighbor starting up their diesel pickup truck at 5am... )
  • anti-gravity lounge chairs -- the kind with the cup-holder on one side and a tray-table on the other
  • a bag of assorted chocolate candy-bars, so you can up your S'mores game. (Heath bars, peppermint patties, anything with caramel...)

Have fun, whichever camping style you choose!
RVing and camping are 2 different activities.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #34

Thank you all for the suggestions, we've compiled quite a list!
jode246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Now yer talkin the right list!!!
Ok what time is Happy Hour!???
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 PM   #36

Needed items?

We use rope light sections that you can get just about anywhere now.
I bought some at Big Lots a number of years ago and have had no issues.
Something else would be a dusk to dawn / dusk to whatever time you like timer for the lights.
You can lay the rope lights under the rig or the outline of the awning so things are well-lighted at night. Or you can use a rope light track like Camping World sells to run the rope lights in the awning track.

Rope Light Trak - Valterra A30-0600 - Awning Accessories & Hardware - Camping World

Get a 50 amp male to 30 amp female adapter for your utilities trick bag in case you end up in a campground where the site power was via a 50 amp socket like I did.

Voltmeter to check your power pedestal
Get a power receptacle tester similar to this one to do a quick down and dirty check of the power pedestal.
Ge 50542 Receptacle Tester - Walmart.com

Coaxial TV cable to plug into the campground

RCA 25' RG-6 Digital Coaxial Cable With Gold Plated F Connectors (Black) - Walmart.com

Extension cords and cord wraps to corral them.

There are a million things and you'll think of and find more as you go along.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #37

We always call our motor home our home away from home. We always cook outside and have a screen tent that fits over the picnic table in the parks. We use a 20 pound LP tank with a tee that services a two burner stove and a Webber 100 grill. The tent keeps the bugs away and if it rains the top keeps our stuff dry. Paper plates are great By cooking outside we do not smell up our motor home with cooking.
I have always carried what I call my RV tool bag. made of canvas, in it there is a roll of duck tape electrical tape . screw drivers ,builders claw hammer. some wrenches , bits of wire.two sided tape,tire pressure gage a small compressor in one of the compartments, leveling blocks, tent pegs and that's all I can think of for the moment. all stuff one would use around the house for general repairs. A first aid kit inside the bath is also a must with bug repellent .

Brandon2
2014 - 2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #38
Cyber Phrenologist

And then about once a year, go through the entire RV, hold everything in it in your hands at least once and ask yourself?

1. Do I really need this?
2. Has the expiration date passed?

You'll save a lot of weight, guaranteed! And your supplies will be fresh enough to use. Last time we did this the rig lost 80 pounds. We threw out/replaced a bunch of stale dated first aid supplies.

Since the campgrounds will be overcrowded we'll be going this 4th of July.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #39
Canadian Member

Go somewhere local for your first trip and make it somewhere close to a grocery store and Walmart or a camping supply store. I can guarantee you'll forget something or realize you need something you hadn't thought of. Camping locally and close to civilization will also allow you to test out everything on the new camper before venturing farther away from home and into the boonies. Keep a checklist and add to it as you get more experience.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote