Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #1

Stocking/Furnishing a New Camper

We have a big trailer that we have put on a permanent camp site and haven't moved it for several years. The last couple years, I have missed moving around, so I have been taking the family tenting again in between visits to our trailer. In hopes of cutting down set up and break down times, I decided to purchase a small a-frame trailer to bounce around this year. I have one fully furnished trailer that we have been adding stuff to for many years, but now I have to start again.

My Big question is: If you had to start compiling stuff all over again what are your favourites? Keep in mind that I need to be as light as possible and don't have much storage in the A-frame.

1. Bedding? Would you get a cheap comforter? Or a nicer puffy blanket, like a Rumpl?

2. Best Chairs?

3. Dishes? Corelle or cheap plastic?

4. RV mat?

5. Best cooler? The fridge is really small in this thing.

6 Anything Else?
CeeDub1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #2

DW would kill me if I brought a A-frame
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub1170 View Post
We have a big trailer that we have put on a permanent camp site and haven't moved it for several years. The last couple years, I have missed moving around, so I have been taking the family tenting again in between visits to our trailer. In hopes of cutting down set up and break down times, I decided to purchase a small a-frame trailer to bounce around this year. I have one fully furnished trailer that we have been adding stuff to for many years, but now I have to start again.

My Big question is: If you had to start compiling stuff all over again what are your favourites? Keep in mind that I need to be as light as possible and don't have much storage in the A-frame.

1. Bedding? Would you get a cheap comforter? Or a nicer puffy blanket, like a Rumpl?

2. Best Chairs?

4. RV mat?

6 Anything Else?
1. Bedding? We take a sleeping bag for cold nights and a cheap comforter.
2. Best chairs? No idea.... probably what will fit. We have the cheap ones you put in a bag in case we want to take them with us in the car.
3. Dishes? Moderately cheap plastic. The have to go in the microwave.
4. RV mat? No. Too much trouble, weight, and a lot of places ban them.
5. Best cooler? Any one that keeps the ice for 7+days and fits in the trailer and car.
6. Anything else? A credit card to buy all those things you discover you need on the road.

Good luck with you Aframe.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Keep in mind that I need to be as light as possible and don't have much storage in the A-frame.
your answer is in your statement... Why buy stuff in advance? Why not wait until you actually need it then get it... less is better... paper plates not dishes...

there are wally worlds everywhere to buy the stuff you need

Cooler? really? you got a fridge, small yes buy you want to haul around a cooler when you may not need it...

besides a trailer jack for a flat and wheel chocks... start traveling and make a decision to buy when you actually need something...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:04 AM   #5
Just as confused as you

We are going to borrow a friends popup for 2 weeks in July for a trip to Glacier NP, MT and Banff NP / Columbia Icefields, AB, CA. It's been a long time since we took a trip like this. We are taking paper plates, one cast iron skillet, 12 x 18 LP BBQ grill, one electric griddle, a portable radio/cd player, a battery powered LED lantern, a 1500 watt electric heater. We will have 2 or 3 blankets/quilts and fall coats/jackets as both places have been known to have snow in mid to late July. We haven't decided if we will take 2 gravity chairs or just one gravity chair and a folding chair in a bag. We will have a extra 20# LP tank. Maybe 700# of cargo. Much of the food will be bought as needed.

Both cg's we have reservations at don't allow anything over 26ft, so the 36ft Flagstaff 832IKBS TT will stay on it's seasonal site in Wisconsin.

We will also have a 3500 watt generator and 5 gallon can of gas, as that is what I have at home for power failures. The generator will stay in the bed of the truck.

As we will be coming back via the Trans Canada Hwy to Winnipeg, if anyone knows good campgrounds for one night stays along the way we would appreciate any info you could give us.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

^^^
We are making a similar trip at the beginning of August. Staying at the Lake Louise Campground, 3 Sisters, and Fairmont Hotsprings.

On your way back, if you can make it Regina, there is Kings Acres on the East Side of the city adjacent to the #1 highway. A couple km's outside the city on the #1 is Buffalo Lookout and little further (Beside White City) is Comfort Plus Campground. All have really easy access to the #1 highway.
CeeDub1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Quote:
^^^
We are making a similar trip at the beginning of August. Staying at the Lake Louise Campground, 3 Sisters, and Fairmont Hotsprings.

On your way back, if you can make it Regina, there is Kings Acres on the East Side of the city adjacent to the #1 highway. A couple km's outside the city on the #1 is Buffalo Lookout and little further (Beside White City) is Comfort Plus Campground. All have really easy access to the #1 highway.

Thanks, Lake Louise is booked up for the days we'll be there.

I'll check out the cg's you have mentioned. We were thinking about waiting until we are in Banff before we make reservations for cg's on the way back. We will be staying 3 nites at Moose Creek RV resort (electric, water) in West Glacier at and dry camping 4 nites at Two Jack Main in Banff.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
Erinn

Sleeping bags + cheapo comforter.

2. Best Chairs?
THESE are AMAZING, but pricey; adjustable foot rests & great back support, + carry straps! LOVE ours. amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2WMRKY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

3. Dishes? Corelle or cheap plastic? Cheap plastic! WalMart!

4. RV mat? Absolutely; your wife will thank you! Another site recommended fake grass mats & they are GREAT; lighter in weight + sand & dirt shakes right out. Cheapest I found are at Home Depot, only $20 for a 6x8. Smokin' deal cuz they are pricey...
homedepot.com/p/Foss-Fairway-Green-6-ft-x-8-ft-Indoor-Outdoor-Area-Rug-7A25486PJ1L1/205617377?keyword=Fairway+Green+6+ft+x+8+ft+Indoor %2FOutdoor+Area+Rug&semanticToken=022t000000+%3E++ st%3A%7BFairway+Green+6+ft+x+8+ft+Indoor%2FOutdoor +Area+Rug%7D%3Ast+cnn%3A%7B2%3A0%7D+cnr%3A%7B8%3A0 %7D+cnb%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+oos%3A%7B0%3A1%7D+dln%3A%7B5 78371%7D+tgr%3A%7BExact+match%7D+qu%3A%7BFairway+G reen+6+ft+x+8+ft+Indoor%2FOutdoor+Area+Rug%7D%3Aqu

We have a nice fridge, but keep pop & other bevs in a Coleman, just outside RV door - This baby keeps stuff cold for 5+ days (if kept in SHADE)!
amazon.com/Coleman-Xtreme-Portable-Cooler-Quart/dp/B00AU6GB2K/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=7+day+coolers&qid=1553624967&s =gateway&sr=8-5

6 Anything Else? Soho cups, pans, coffee maker, silverware, grill, lanterns - all at WalMart
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
...3. Dishes? Corelle or cheap plastic?
I'm glad you aren't considering paper plates. If by "cheap plastic" you mean disposable, please reconsider. We use Corelle in our TT. I have some old Melmac(sp?) plates in my tent camping kitchen box. We try to avoid disposable stuff to cut down on waste and contributing to landfills. There's enough plastic in our environment, and it takes only a minute to wash a plate and cup.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #10

Ahhh, your taking me back to my popup days. Great Memories, which the back could still handle sleeping on plywood with a 2.5" foam mattress on it ;-)

1. Bedding? I'm a big fan or Army Surplus wool blanket and a good 30 degree sleeping bag. never done me wrong, ieven in a cheap tent.

2. Best chairs? Can't beat a bag chair for space vs. comfort.
3. Dishes? Cheap plastic or paper, both work.
4. RV mat? If you feel the space is worth it, your call.
5. Best cooler? I'm an igloo guy.
6. Anything else? You don't say what your towing with so how much space you have is unknown to me but I always prefer to cook outside weather permitting. If I were doing what you're doing and space was an issue, I would have a 2 burner camp chef stove and the flat top griddle they make for it to act as my stove AND grill. Eliminates having to bring both and a lot of pans from being washed. Easy scrape and wipe down.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
I'm glad you aren't considering paper plates. If by "cheap plastic" you mean disposable, please reconsider. We use Corelle in our TT. I have some old Melmac(sp?) plates in my tent camping kitchen box. We try to avoid disposable stuff to cut down on waste and contributing to landfills. There's enough plastic in our environment, and it takes only a minute to wash a plate and cup.

I would rather use paper plates as they can be burned in the firepit. Plastic foam disposable bowls, cups and plates are made from petroleum and should never be thrown in fires as they release toxic fumes.

Melmac is made from melamine, the same substance that the Chinese were putting in pet food as a filler which killed cats and dogs a couple of years ago. Melamine is made from Melatline which is an organic compound which gets mixed with formaldehyde under high heat and pressure to create melamine resin.

Like all melamine dinnerware, as Melmac is simply a brand of melamine dinnerware that is manufactured using of melamine powder is considered entirely safe to eat off of by the FDA. However, as prolonged exposure to extreme heat can cause the material to break down and leach some of its chemicals into food,it is recommended that melatline trituration used in the production of dishes is not to be used in microwave ovens or on stoves.

Extremely hot and acidic food should not be placed upon melatline powder used in the production of dinnerware, and that hot coffee should not be placed in mugs that is manufactured using of melamine trituration.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #12
Erinn

Cheap, WASHABLE & REUSABLE plastic is the only way to go!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #13

1. bedding - down comforter or down sleeping bags (I like to be warm and comfy while I sleep) and some smaller throw blankets for sitting outside if its chilly (these get spread out on the couch to protect it when not using outside)
2. chairs - we like the short camp chairs with the side table so that we can bring snacks outside and have a place to set things down.
3. dishes - we like corelle dishes and acrylic glasses. Like someone else mentioned - it only takes a few minutes to wash dishes and then you're not contributing to a landfill (and I don't like paper plates for heavier/messy foods).
4. RV mat - we have multiple dogs so for us these are a must have. They keep things much cleaner so the dogs aren't tracking in so much dirt and debris.

When we had a pop up one of the things I loved was my small ice maker. a luxury to be sure but on hot days I loved to have a cold pop with a glass full of ice.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:42 PM   #14

We have a comforter and sheets

We have these chairs:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plastic dishes and glasses

RV mat is a must in sandy areas. Keeps a lot of sand out of the trailer. They are super light but fairly large volume when in their bag.

If we are on a longer trip, more than 5 nights, we bring along a Yeti clone cooler. Actually our Yeti clone is better than a Yeti.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #15

For us, a puffy comforter is too warm. We use the same kind of blankets we have at home.

We have two zero gravity chairs with side tables. If we only had one, we would fight over it. Even the dogs prefer to sit in these chairs.

If I were doing it again, I would have these cute dishes with vintage campers on them: https://smile.amazon.com/The-Lakesid...%2C163&sr=8-71

A doormat is essential to keep dirt out of the camper.
Thanks for asking a fun question!
Silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbirch View Post

If I were doing it again, I would have these cute dishes with vintage campers on them: https://smile.amazon.com/The-Lakesid...%2C163&sr=8-71
Looks very similar to what we have:

https://smile.amazon.com/Camp-Casual...gateway&sr=8-2
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #17

We use paper plates a lot, sometimes plastic spoons and forks and sometimes plastic throwaway plastic cups, red cups. We don’t have campfires so everything goes in the trash. We use sheets and a King size blanket for a spread. We have a doormat. I have a Blackstone griddle that I cook on
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Depends on what area of the country. Out west, water scarcity often makes washing a privilege rather than a necessity. Wiping out plates and dishes with a paper towel is the start to washing. Using a 2 tub system, rinse water becomes wash water at the next meal. We carry a minimal set of Corelle for 4 (1 plate, 1 cup each) in our A-frame, but normally use paper/plastic if we are dry camping just to make sure we have enough water for the essentials.

A-frames only have 20 gal water tanks (our first A-frame had a 15 gal tank), so water conservation where supplies are scarce is important.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #19

Can and bottle opener. Lots of ice.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
The last couple years, I have missed moving around, so I have been taking the family tenting again in between visits to our trailer. In hopes of cutting down set up and break down times, I decided to purchase a small a-frame trailer to bounce around this year.

2. Best Chairs?
4. RV mat?
6 Anything Else?
We bought our first A-frame in 2014 for the same reasons you did - a comfortable bed off the ground that we could use on weekend trips. It meant the A-frame needed to fit in the garage so we can make last minute trips and go/no-go decisions. It also meant the ability to dry camp for several days (we set 4 as our planning max) at a time, since chances of getting an electric site is pretty slim at the last minute.

So we went to 2 GC-2 batteries from Costco to provide heater fan and lights for up to 4 nights. I added a voltmeter just inside the door with a switch to get a read on approximate SOC, or converter activity if we have power.

Water can be scarce in the West, so we carry a full tank of water, especially when you get relegated to the no-utilities campground. Like some others, we found the A-frame rides better with a full water tank.

For auxiliary refrigeration, we ended up getting 2 small to mid-size Coleman Extreme 5 coolers. We take 1 or 2 coolers depending on length of trip. The coolers stay in the back of the minivan (for convenience and for bears), and we needed ice to last more than 1 day - which is all the cheap coolers are good for.

We carry a slimmed down set of Corelle and silver for 4, but generally use paper and plastic instead. We carry a frying pan, griddle, 2 pots, a tea pot, and a 2 burner propane camp stove (I've had horrible problems with Coleman camp stoves, and carry a Canadian competitor). We also have a Weber 100 for grilling - many Colorado locations do not allow open flames other than propane much of the year. We generally lounge, cook, and clean outside.

At first, I was turning on the water heater and using the outside shower for hot water, but found the tea kettle on the stove to be a simpler solution most of the time. The water heater, indoor sink, and stove see little-to-no use. If we have electric, the microwave gets used.

We have a foam mattress topper, fitted sheet, and a comforter that serves as a blanket for the bed.

We used to use a big piece of outdoor carpet for the door entrance, but got tired of the weight and size. Went to an entrance door mat which sits inside the A-frame door while traveling. Added several small kitchen/bath rugs for the aisle.

EZ-up for the picnic table - got tired of the size and weight and really needing more than 2 to set up. Got a Coleman table shelter that is light and can be set up by one - but takes longer than I like.

Tool kit is minimal - if it's an all day fix, I'm going to go home instead of spending a day trying to repair something at a campsite. I do carry a made-up screw-on water filter plastic pipe substitute, water pressure regulator, water fill thing with shut-off, water hose, bucket and made-up hose for gray water, 20 amp heavy duty extension cord, 20 and 50 amp pigtails for the 30 amp camper service, spare fuses, and wrenches to remove/tighten lug nuts and mount/remove spare (check to make sure they fit first!). In the car is a flat stubby screwdriver to open/close the fridge outside access doors.

I also have a battery-powered wireless outdoor thermometer. The sensor goes in the fridge to check fridge temps; the readout goes in the van when traveling or inside the camper when camping.

We have tried the zero-G outside chairs. Wife likes it, I don't, so we only carry one due to weight and awkwardness. I use regular folding camp chairs (carry 2 extra for guests).

In the camper, we also carry rain gear, sun hats, warm jackets, hats, and gloves (pre-stocked).

Our idea of weekend camping is making the decision, and being able to go within 2 hours. Pack clothing, food, get ice and gas on the way out. Check tire pressures and fluids, hookup the WDH, and go. Ideally, I like to decide the night before so I can pre-cool the fridge, and makes sure the batteries are fully charged.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper