Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonbill View Post
Thanks for bringing my personal horror back to the forefront of my brain One year ago, on Mother’s Day, I was trimming tree limbs—unsupervised-using my pole saw and ladder. Job went extremely well, until my wife’s says,”honey it’s time to get ready”—family gathering—I said,”ok great I’m already done and on my way down”, from about 5’ on ladder, next thing I remember, and still recall, I was screaming,”I broke my hand off”. OMG talk about pain, 3X shots of morpheme got me to the hospital. 4 surgeries, >$150K in medical bills later I can use my hand somewhat-/it will never be 100%.
Moral of the story, always tell your wife what your up to and have her, or someone, hold the ladder. I too most likely will not quit using ladder@64 but will more safely. My wife said yesterday, during a conversation about trimming limbs above the camper, I’ll just call 911, won’t even come visit you, if you get up on that ladder. Be safe Brothers and Sisters.
When I passed 75 I decided that ladders for tree trimming were no longer a part of my life. Found an inexpensive landscaper and he just takes care of the yard, including trees.
Place has never looked better.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #62
Yukon_Bill

So, what I hear you saying is, “I have another 10 years to worry about it” lol. It’s hard not being able to do things for yourself after doing it for so many years Alone, but I’m slowly learning to walk away from jobs. Thanks.
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1941 View Post
So two weeks ago I was replacing the rusty screws with ss screws on the ladder on my 2861. Instead of using a step stool or ladder, I choose a half full (or half empty) five gallon paint bucket as my step. As I was desending, I missed the center of the bucket and found myself on the concrete. Of course after looking to see if anyone saw my misshap, I noticed a large scrape on my ankle, not to say my 64 yo body wasn't screaming, you fool. Daily, my ankle grew a large knot ( hematoma) and my ankle and foot turned black. It's getting better now. Moral of the story, stop doing stupid stuff and remember your brain might be 30 something but your body isn't.
I am merely 58, and I learn from my older folks I know on the internet and in person. I was too lazy to get my chain fall and lifted my 250 pound generator out of the back of my truck. I figured I was merely setting it down and not lifting it. OOPS. Two days of doing not much but using the hot tub and muscle relaxers.

I need to get back to the gym! Just to get back to half of what I did in the USMC!

I am now collecting new ladders and platforms that can accommodate uneven surfaces better than regular ladders and stools (or buckets).
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #64
Site Team

I'm 66 years old and a retired firefighter. So ladders are second nature to me. My knees are both bone on bone, after 7 knee surgeries so I'm somewhat limited doing stuff.
But being on a ladder isn't a problem.
So this winter I had to clean the gutters. The DW said to wait until she could hold the ladder. Well, after waiting 15 minutes, I got impatient and got up on my 7ft ladder and climbed up to the very top step. Unfortunately the soil I had placed it in, was soft on one side and the ladder began to tilt. I tried to grab the roof as I was falling but all the comp tile did, was to simply scratch up my arms.
Well, the good thing was my head missed a big 1000lb boulder by about 4 inches. But my pelvis and back hit the edge of the concrete pad. I thought I'd cracked my pelvis or some vertebrate.
But apparently at 66, my body can still bounce! All I got was some bruises and soreness. The DW's anger and lecturing was actually more painful.
But I agree that my brain still thinks I'm 25 years old.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #65

My neighbor is a foot taller then me and loves using my"Toys"! He said he will trim any tree with my power stick saw!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I’ve always said “Living is hazardous to your health.”...

No kidding. As a retired physician friend says: "Life is fatal, no one gets out alive!"

Honestly, as I'm now officially "old", 65, I find myself needing to slow down and think about what I'm doing. I tend to be inattentive and get frustrated when things don't go like they used to. And everything seems to take twice as long as it used to. LOL

Stay healthy and happy!
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #67

I think most of us are lucky to be here as long as we have been, I once ran my self over with my own truck, I also once had to jump off a ladder with a running chain saw, I was about 10 feet up cutting a large branch off a tree I was cutting down, this is when I really learned about kinetic energy, the branch came back and hit the ladder after hitting the ground, I went one way the chain saw went another way, the mother in-law was watching the kids and talking to her daughter (my wife, now ex) on the phone (she was at work) when all this happened, she just yelled "oh my god" and hung up the phone, 10 minutes later the wife shows up at in a panic, I just said to her "I won't do that again" and finished cutting down the tree. The tree was 65 to 70 tall maple so it was a big tree.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonbill View Post
So, what I hear you saying is, “I have another 10 years to worry about it” lol. It’s hard not being able to do things for yourself after doing it for so many years Alone, but I’m slowly learning to walk away from jobs. Thanks.
I find that not having to worry about the yard means i can stay out camping longer. Don't come back to a yard that looks like it belongs to an abandoned house

The landscaper costs me about the same per month as three nights in a nice RV park. Since I almost always boondock it doesn't break the bank.

I still do a lot of work myself, just not stuff that requires ladders and attention every two weeks.

Right now I'm using my stay at home time to re-do the deck with new cedar boards. Definitely no climbing involved

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #69

Don't step backwards off the deck admiring your work!
Old 05-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #70

Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
You should quit going to those 4 places. (Sorry, couldn't control my fingers on the keyboard. They made me say it.)
Kinda makes you wonder when that "old enough to know better" is going to start kickin in dont it.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 concourshttps://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #71

I try to be careful (doesn't always work) I would never hear the end of it after 40 years of investigating other peoples serious and fatal work injuries.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:27 PM   #72

In '13 I was working on the top of a door in a Quonset hut hangar. About 8 ft up, I had the ladder at too much of angle to make me comfortable, so I said to self, If ladder starts to slip, I'll grab the truss, then just drop the 3 ft to floor. THE NEXT SPLIT SECOND. I'm laying on the floor next to the ladder. Seemed ok but I could not get up, so I called a friend to my hangar with my cellphone. He came ,took one look at me and called EMS. I had cracked my pelvis in 3 places. No more ladders from then on.
Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
I want to find the guy who said 70 is the new 50. He lied, he lied a lot. I was a soldier and then a Firefighter for 35 years. I did a lot of things that normal human beings shouldn't but they got done. The body hurts, the brain functions and the wife gives backhand 101 with follow through every once in a while. That's for nothing, wait until I do something stupid. I know a guy who has had just abut all the joints in his body replaced. That's because he jumped out of perfectly good planes. Anyway for all us old/young guys stay safe out there and sometimes rethink what you're about to do and it won't hurt so much.....or get somebody else to do it.....darn it's hard to admit that tho'...
It took a while but after several HALO plane departures I realized God did not make people to jump out of airplanes, that is why planes have landing gear!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
It took a while but after several HALO plane departures I realized God did not make people to jump out of airplanes, that is why planes have landing gear!
Back in my college days I flew jump planes for extra cash. Probably let several thousand folks jump (didn’t keep count, but it was a lot). In all that time it never occurred to me to think about the possibility I might consider starting to think about jumping.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #75

I didn’t think it was dumb, DW did.

I decided at the age of 47 to build an outlaw minisprint race car. My wife seemed supportive. First night of second season, I flipped the car and broke my back. About a year later I was on a step ladder starting the first rows of shingles on my roof and the ladder kicked sideways out from under me and I landed on my shoulder. Needless to say, I hurt all over especially the shoulder and back. Was scared to death I had broken my back again. Fortunately I didn’t. Then a few years after that, I had a bad experience with vertigo and fell between the toilet and shower door in our camper. Our camper sits on a seasonal site on a hill above a lake. We had a bad storm during the night with lots of wind gusts and heavy rain. I had gotten up to hit the bathroom around 5 am and when the violent spinning sensation began I thought we were being hit by a tornado and the camper was rolling down the hill towards the lake. Nope, just me landing between the shower door and toilet. The vertigo fixed itself after a few weeks but needless to say, at 63, I no longer climb on anything. That’s what healthy grandsons are for.
Turtle47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #76

Stop Doing Stupid Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post

I have over 150 HALO/HAHO jumps in the military and countless civilian jumps and I would rather do that than static line. That’s just asking to break something
Wedes12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #77
Back On The Go

We all do those things. Just sold my 24' extension ladder, right before the hail storm, so I couldn't go up on the roof to check things out. Expert is coming today - best for me and the wife who won't have to fret any longer about my 76 yr old body climbing up on the roof.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:00 AM   #78
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLTShaker View Post
What is it with these 5 gallon buckets? About 10 or so yrs ago I was standing on a 5 gallon bucket checking something under the hood of my 57 Chevy while it was on a lift. My foot went through the lid. Not paint in bucket...
So, That's why warning labels that look out of place are on things. Like "do not use this as a ladder". This warning could be on sooo many things that are more handy to get to than your ladder.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote