Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #1

Storage area locks

Our Flagstaff has the storage area with the sliding drawer. The keyed locks can be stubborn and difficult to open.

We were thinking of replacing those locks with Thumb operated cam locks. Since these do not use a key, would they stay closed or would there be any other problems?
tomkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #2

I have found that the drawer will sometimes be too close to the locking mechanism on one side or the other which causes the difficulty in opening the doors. Whenever I push my drawer in I try to make sure it is at least 1/2 inch from the area the locking mechanism covers on the side I usually open first, which for me is the curb side. By doing this, the door opens without trouble. I can then pull the drawer out enough to easily open the other side.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Site Team

If yours is the factory drawer it should have a small barrel latch that keeps it from sliding against the doors. I built my own

and I don't have room for a latch so sometimes I have to find the door that's not bound.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #4

Bama, that is one nice drawer! I wish I was more handy with a saw, LOL!

Joe

2008 Cardinal 32TS
2008 F350 Lariat PSD C/C 4X4 Dually
Joe Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #5

I have noticed if you let one of the doors slam shut or fall closed it will bend the locking tab and make it hard to shut. i just very carefully bend it out a little and it shut much better Chevy
Old 08-22-2008, 06:37 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy02 View Post
I have noticed if you let one of the doors slam shut or fall closed it will bend the locking tab and make it hard to shut. i just very carefully bend it out a little and it shut much better Chevy
Oh yeah! That definitely happens. I'm always having to "adjust" mine a bit cause the GK's (or DW) will let it slam closed. (of course "I" would never do such a thing)
Old 08-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Falco View Post
Bama, that is one nice drawer! I wish I was more handy with a saw, LOL!

Joe
Thanks,

I need to pull it out and fill the corners and paint it one day. You know how it is, once you start using it there's never time to fix it.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Put pressure on the door, near the lock, when opening or closing. This compresses the vinyl weatherstripping and lessens the friction on the locking mechanism. Works for me!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #9

First of all ... these locks all seem to be generally of poor quality. I've fought with them for many years. Best thing I can suggest is to lubricate them well with something like WD40 and then just work them back and forth until they get cooperative. Works for me.

While on the topic of the storage area doors. I've been a little unhappy about the "sticking" of the doors against the seals. It always feels like I'm going to pull the seal right off it's track if I pull too hard or too fast. Recently I tried spraying the seals with the same teflon lubricant I use on the slide seals.

Recommended by our dealer, I use something called CAPTAIN PHAB Dry Teflon Lubricant. I use it religiously on the slide seals and it just occurred to me to use it on the storage door seals. So far ... it's great ..... no sticking at all.

This stuff, believe it or not ... is supposed to be made in Canada .... well .... better than China, HUH?????? I think it's marketed all over north America. You could look to your local RV dealer of check it out at www.captphab.com .

I have no connection to this company or it's products .... but I've been very satisfied with the results.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote