Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

Storage - concrete pad, or gravel?

We just ordered a new Georgetown 364TS today, so we have 4 - 8 weeks before we pick it up. We're looking at storing it on our property, along the North side of our house. With that said, I'm wondering what I should do to prepare for parking it there.

Is it best to pour a big concrete pad? Or put down the small, compacted gravel? Or big, uncompacted gravel? or what???
Dweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:18 PM   #2

Concrete would always be the best if you want to spend the money. I honestly like gravel so any rain drains away and the tires never sit in puddles. I always put my tires up on boards or leveling blocks and keep the tires covered. I've had enough issues wi trailer tires over the years and a little extra care will get you another season out of them.
Maxhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #3
Roger and Paula

We put down shell (no gravel pits here), allow for drainage as opposed to runoff. Installer removed the grass, put down grass barrier, then poured the shell over it.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #4

As far as your rig is concerned, either one is fine. You'll probably want to board under your tires either way. I think a lot of the difference is initial cost and upkeep. Concrete is a one time deal. It's cleaner tracking in and out of your rig, it's sturdier if you want to do any jacking for under rig work or mess with your tires... all around it's just 'nicer' surface area to work on/around.

Gravel on the other hand.. it's very inexpensive, more likely to require ongoing maintenance.. weeding, relevelling from time to time, etc. It's not the nicest surface for getting in and around on... especially if you need to get under the belly.

I prefer the aesthetics of a gravel pad area over a concrete slab.. but I would still go with concrete over gravel.

Given my personal choice.. I would go with an aggregate surface pad :-)
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #5

I did gravel but I still park on boards. I don't know why but I do. I used to do it so as not to sink into mud but that's not a problem anymore. When I put the gravel pad in I ran a drain line to my septic tank so I have a dump station and being next to a shed with power I ran a dedicated receptacle for the RV.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:29 AM   #6

How much room do you have for your pad? City limits or County, Some restrictions could apply to RV Parking... Are you planning on a Cover or RV Port? If so then I would think concrete would be best.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:37 AM   #7

IMO I would spend the bucks and do concrete and forget about it...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #8

We installed our concrete pad just two years ago and love it.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #9

Bang for the buck would be gravel. Im a home builder and use concrete all the time, but when I did mine I did pea gravel six inches deep and tamped it for compaction. I agree with the others, good drainage and does what you need. There really is nothing aesthetically pleasing about concrete. I too place 2x12 pressure treated boards under tires and cover them. It's all you need. Think about the extra cash you will have for the RV on $ saved.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Poper
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #10

I recommend concrete. When you pour the pad, Just slope the concrete a 1/4"/ foot in the direction away from the building. That way, the water will never pool on the pad.
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #11

I built my pad out of 6-8 inches of crusher run, compacted to a fair thee well. I get the benefits of a reasonably hard/firm base (not good as concrete but better than gravel , good drainage and indulging my desire to pinch pennies. If I choose to top it with concrete, my base is already prepped.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #12

I side with the folks recommending concrete. It's a one time deal, you can slope it so that it drains and you don't have to worry about it. Over time your tires will make ruts in the gravel and you'll have to smooth it out.In any case, always put boards, rubber, etc. under the tires. The alkalinity of the gravel or concrete and leach out your tires.

Good luck on your new rig. New to camping or is this another rig?
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #13

Part of our preparation for getting the TT we want is widening our driveway so we have room to park it, as it will not fit in the carport space the PUP occupies. We are using concrete pavers, both for the place where we'll walk to access the trailer, and for the widening the driveway so we can drive around it. Paying more attention to level on the driving side than the walking side; the TT will sit on the originally-poured concrete.
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #14

Amen to the pitch away from your building....don't know where you live but the north side of a building will get little sun so consider snow/ice/mildew from lack of sun.
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #15

I use a combination of both, I have a gravel pad and poured rectangular concrete pads big enough to park on, never had an issue with concrete reacting with the tires. just make sure you use a good quality concrete and it would not hurt to add some cement to the pre bagged concrete you get from HD or Lowes as they are cheap mixes. Would like to do the whole pad in concrete to get rid of the weeds but don't want to spend the money.
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

We park on our concrete drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Silverado 1500 with 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS (1).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	70262  

Tags
storage