Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #1

Storage for class c?

Just wondering what the majority of people do for storage of their RV's. We have plenty of room to put up a building but thought maybe a very good cover would be ok and of course much cheaper than putting up a building. Any thoughts?

Lee & Kathy Clymer
08 Forester 3121DS (soon to be delivered)
07 Mini Cooper S toad
& Tweeter 8lb Maltese
clymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #2

I bought a metal RV carport like these at http://www.gaport.com/ Goto carports and then Box eve style.

Mine is 36' long by 18' wide by 14' at the center. I went with full sides and open on both ends. Keeps the sun off the roof and the tires and keeps it dry in the rain. If I remember right it was around $3400 after tax.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #3

Class C Storage

A Rv stored in a building or under a carport will weather a lot less than sitting outside under a cover. If you live where it's windy the cover will rub the sides of the RV. The winter sun is notorious for fading the inside upholstery as well as the graphics. I know they make some good covers that brreathe; but the sun shining on the Rv even in the winter will cause condensdation inside the RV.

If you add the cost of the cover and how long it may last you may find it cheaper to invest in a building or even a carport.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #4

We looked at the metal carport type buildings at a local place just this afternoon and got a price of around $4,600 installed for a 36 long x 20 wide 14 high with both sides and 1 end closed....seems like a fair price and I'm sure it will keep the rv better protected.

Greg.....have you ever had a snow load on yours? We have not had much snow in PA for the past few winters but just wondering how they hold up.

Thanks

Lee & Kathy Clymer
08 Forester 3121DS (soon to be delivered)
07 Mini Cooper S toad
& Tweeter 8lb Maltese
clymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #5

Sounds like a good price for that size and having both sides and one end closed.

As for snow load.......... Well we don't really get much snow here in Texas but early last month http://forestriverforums.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1611 we had over 5" of the white stuff. Depending on where I measured it was over 7" in places. Roof held up. The ribs of the building are spaced every 4 feet so it's pretty strong. It has also withstood 60mph+ winds broadside. I did anchor the corners pretty good with some angle iron and concrete so it's not going anywhere. Were I to do it again I would close in the back side for more stability and just back my trailer in. But the boss lady wanted something she felt comfortable just pulling through if she had to. WELL worth the money.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
A 10" layer of snow does wonders for protecting the roof...

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote