Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

Storing Dishes while Traveling

As I mentioned earlier in a previous post, we just purchased our first RV. Here's my newest question. How do you store plates and glasses while driving so they don't rattle and break inside of the cupboards? We rented a C Class last Fall and they had these slick little dividers that were attached inside of the cupboards that the plates fit into and one for bowls etc. Just wondering what you do with yours.
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

We just use plastic plates and glasses so they can not break. They all stack so they hold their place and do not fall out. Utensil are in one of the utensil trays you can find the Wally world.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
We just use plastic plates and glasses so they can not break. They all stack so they hold their place and do not fall out. Utensil are in one of the utensil trays you can find the Wally world.
We to use plastic disposable plates, plastic glasses are turned upside down and stacked two high.

The lite has a silverware drawer, pots and pans are stored under the sink with a piece of rubber shelf liner in between each one.

Redirect Notice
Old 11-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #4

We have some plastic stuff and will probably use that on our first trip next weekend, but I was thinking about long term and using some of our older ceramic dished and glass cups for next summer when we will be gone for a longer period of time. I guess I just don't want to feel like I'm eating at the kids table with non breakable stuff for the rest of my RVing life
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlafond View Post
We have some plastic stuff and will probably use that on our first trip next weekend, but I was thinking about long term and using some of our older ceramic dished and glass cups for next summer when we will be gone for a longer period of time. I guess I just don't want to feel like I'm eating at the kids table with non breakable stuff for the rest of my RVing life
Not an issue, we just decided there are much better things to do besides washing dishes every meal.

Use the rubber liner on the shelf and then cut some to fit between every plate.
Glasses, I would use a paper towel between them and then wrap them in a towel before moving on.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Not an issue, we just decided there are much better things to do besides washing dishes every meal.

Use the rubber liner on the shelf and then cut some to fit between every plate.
Glasses, I would use a paper towel between them and then wrap them in a towel before moving on.
Too much work...plastic plates, bowls and glasses. Each stack in the cupboarb sits on rubber liners so it wont move. makes nice ads and looks nice at an RV show to use nice china but who needs the added issues. Especially when you are putting a hotdog, hamburger or corn the cob on it...not French gourmet cooking...called camping for a reason.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #7

We were gone for 4 months last summer and it was paper plates for lunch and plastic plates for dinner. Never thought about anything else.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Pool noodles cut to various lengths......stand 'em up or lay'em down
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post
Too much work...plastic plates, bowls and glasses. Each stack in the cupboarb sits on rubber liners so it wont move. makes nice ads and looks nice at an RV show to use nice china but who needs the added issues. Especially when you are putting a hotdog, hamburger or corn the cob on it...not French gourmet cooking...called camping for a reason.

Kevin
I agree, we do plastic for the low labor factor.
We recycle when we are at a place setup for it.
Silverware, glasses (rarely used) get washed grill is burned and scrubbed clean and we are out of there.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #10

We bought a set of corelle dishes/bowls years ago for the trailer. Nothing has broken yet. Plastic glasses and regular coffee cups. Use a thin kind of rubbery shelf liner and things stay in place. I can't imaging adding all that plastic and paper to the landfills, but it sounds like the norm.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #11

All our dishes are melmac or melamine. It's a hard plastic and lot of fancy patterns aound so you don't have that cheap plastic look and feel. It also depends on your kitchen layout. In our new trailer the stuff in the kitchen moves very little compared t o other layouts we have had in the past. Our kitchen is well ahead of the axles. We had some consideration for a rear kitchen layout but glad we did not.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #12

The non-slip rubberized shelf liner material is your friend. Simply cut pieces so they fit between your plates, bowls, pans, etc and your all set. My wife leaves them in place even when we're parked and always replaces them between the dish's after they're washed and put back in the cabinet.
This had worked for us during the past 30 years and our 12 different RV's. It sure made going down the road in our 3 Class A's a lot more pleasant as rattles & squeaks drive me nuts.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #13

I bought Higher quality plastic glasses, tumblers, wine glasses etc from sites like amazon. They hold up very well and don't look like cheap plastic. The material is almost like Lexan or Lucite in appearance.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #14

Some people buy socks and put wine glasses or breakable glasses in them. I put some of the no skid liner down, then cut some of these dividers to separate cups (ceramic coffee cups and one glass wine glass) in cabinets and nothing's broken yet. They come in two different sizes, you cut to the size of your cabinet and interlock them. You could also do this using those cardboard dividers that come in boxes of wine or make your own. Putting them together is a bit of effort (to keep the sides up while putting in the cross slides) but really like how they hold stuff in. Also put wine glasses lip down. http://www.containerstore.com/s/slot...r%20organizers
Old 11-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #15

As for dishes, we got some great melmaline ones from Sam's....only problem is they are not microwave safe. Still, they look good! Funny thing is, we still have some plates and one bowl from a Corelle set that we got as a wedding gift 45 1/2 years ago. Guess those will go with us when we go full time and I'll just cut some of the no skid liner to go in between them
Old 11-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #16

Cheap bed pillows from Walmart, $3 - $5 ea..
Old 11-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #17

My wife uses several methods, one is the Non Slip Grip Matt for cabinets, they make specialized ones for stainless steel pans or non-stick pans too so they don't get scratched up. Also place a piece between each glass or ceramic plates and cups. Another item she uses, are the U haul's dish paks, wrap them in the green foam. Third method, she uses are your hand and wash towels, which will get removed once you arrive at your destination(also help conserves storage space in trailer)
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #18

I also use the non skid between plates, bowls, and cups. I keep my coffee cups in a canvas tote with non skid under it and have had no issues or breaks.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Amiprivateer1
Old 11-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #19

We use the Camco plate holder
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43601-St.../dp/B00I5LCEAA
to hold our Corelle plates, and high quality acrylic drinking glasses. Cups are wrapped in rubber self liner.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #20

We have used glass plates,mugs,water/juice glasses. wine glasses for years...We have lost the odd glass over 49 years.....Just put something soft between plates (Paper towels has been replaced with foam/rubber material and glasses are wraped with thin foam with an elastic band around them.......Why send unnecessary material to the dump or land fills? Think green!!! yes we do use paper plates once in a while and usually burn in camp fire.......
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel